A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass unicorn canisters  (Read 25949 times)
Tags for this thread: etching , featured_project , canister  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snowbird49908

crazy looks good on me

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2009 03:17:30 PM »

so cute..I have a mirror I made for my daughters room that is similar except it has a small unicorn at the top corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All That I'm After Is A Life Full Of Laughter
As Long As I'm Laughing With You
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2009 09:02:03 PM »

Thank you everyone!

I'm so jealous! I want a lovely jar etched with a beautiful unicorn! How did you get such thin lines with the fabric paint? All the nozzle fabric paints I've used still seemed to leave thicker lines than that.

Some of it is practice.  I started etching with fabric paint stencils awhile back.  I wish I had a picture of a photo frame - I used fabric paint to make a stencil of fuschia flowers on one corner, and I think that may have been the first project I did using that technique.  I ended up peeling it off and cleaning the glass off about three times before being happy with it because the paint came out globby.  It helps to start where you want a thicker area, and use a light touch to drag the tip outwards, with less pressure on the tip to the surface, to get a line that thins out a the end.  Another way is to paint, then cut away the excess with an exacto blade after - though I tend not to do that.  Also, while it is wet, you can carefully remove some of the paint if you make a mistake.  But try not to do that too often because any smudge of paint will prevent the etching medium from making full contact with the glass, and you will get blotchy results.

Also, if you use a smaller tube of fabric paint for the more detailed lines, you will probably have better control of the tip and flow than a larger economy sized bottle of paint.  The larger ones are better for filling out large spaces.  I have mostly used smaller one to 2 oz tubes of paint.  Also, make sure to clean off the tip routinely to keep the flow clear, and not to drag paint around where you don't want it - I always have a moist bit of kleenex or cloth around just to wipe the tip with - that will help keep your edges and lines crisp and cleaner too.

Remember - the colour doesn't matter.  So if you see cheapie disgusting colours of fabric paint on sale because they are getting rid of those colours, grab them.

Ooh this is cool! I wonder where I can buy this "chemical etching compound" in Sweden though  Shocked Anyone know?
Ive got some bottles that would be cool to decorate ^^

I wish I could tell you.  Armour Etch is an American made product, and I have either bought it at craft stores in my city, or ordered it on E-bay (better price).  Luckily it is a product that can be reused over and over several times.  But because it is a corrosive chemical agent, I am not sure what international shipping on it will be like.  I also do not know of the name of another product like it.  Maybe you can do a search for chemical glass etching products to see if there is such a thing in Europe for retail?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009 09:06:12 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
charmingflaws
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2009 07:37:38 PM »

I can't tell you how fantastic these are!! I have bookmarked them for my over-the-summer apartment-stuff-making list. I am going to etch every inch of the place. Thank you for the tutorial! It sounds great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafts, inspiration and small business adventures: halfcraftstudio.wordpress.com
CraftyCritters2
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009 08:02:41 AM »

Great alternative to the clear contact paper I always used!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShadySarah
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2009 06:59:44 AM »

I have been looking to etch something... and your tutorial with the fabric paint gave me my direction!  I immediately started on my project -- I etched the Transformers Autobots symbol on a glass and gave it to my bf.  He hasn't gotten it yet, but I'm sure he'll love it.  It turned out great!  Thanks for the great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009 09:51:39 AM »

I will tell you right now...you are right about it probably being easier to use smaller bottles.  for one, my hand was extremely shaky yesterday, and holding the big bottle I had purchased wasn't making it shake any less.  also, because of the size of the bottle, I felt I had a little less control.  oh well.  I still like mine.  Smiley

and yes, I finally decided to give this a go.  here's mine: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=304010.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2009 08:44:17 PM »

I love the idea of using fabric paint like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevthefighter
Fighting Colorectal Cancer & Winning!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2009 10:45:18 AM »

These are really neat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 18, 2009 06:29:59 PM »

Just wrote down all the materials I need to get-going to try and do this with some shotglasses for one of the swaps I'm in and send out this Saturday! This is a perfect idea, I've been wracking my brain for one more thing to make!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2009 06:48:39 PM »

I never linked here!

I etched 2 beer mugs this same way for a swap (and one of the mugs shattered in transit!  Cry)

here's my second attempt at etching the Onyxnox way: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=316445.msg3643660#msg3643660
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Marinate Turkey
How to Make Turkey Stuffing
A Visit to Cork and Brew Restaurant in Liberty, MO
Galaxy Restaurant in Wadsworth, OH
Tips For Cooking With Apples
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...