A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass unicorn canisters  (Read 24872 times)
Tags for this thread: etching , featured_project , canister  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

keobarnett
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2007 11:16:28 PM »

wow!  those are pretty fabulous!  i can think of, oh, only about a million applications for this technique!

i'm curious: why fabric paint as opposed to other kinds of paint?  have you experimented with other stuff and found they didn't scrape off after you etched?  i guess fabric paint wouldn't have been my first thought, but you must have a good reason.

also, it looks like there's some residual marks left from the black paint; does that ever come off, or do you have to expect it when you do this?

again, these are amazing, and thank you for sharing them and your technique with the paint stencil!  lurve them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007 04:31:05 AM »

wow!  those are pretty fabulous!  i can think of, oh, only about a million applications for this technique!

i'm curious: why fabric paint as opposed to other kinds of paint?  have you experimented with other stuff and found they didn't scrape off after you etched?  i guess fabric paint wouldn't have been my first thought, but you must have a good reason.

also, it looks like there's some residual marks left from the black paint; does that ever come off, or do you have to expect it when you do this?

again, these are amazing, and thank you for sharing them and your technique with the paint stencil!  lurve them!

What other paints were you thinking? 

I chose fabric paints for a few reasons:
1.  It comes conveniently packaged with a thin nozzle tip for easier dispensing, no need for brushes
2.  The dimensional paint is pretty thick, so that it can be spread around a bit as needed, and also that ensures good coverage of the area you want covered so that the etching cream will not accidently eat through
3.  When dried, it has good adherence, like a well applied decal, so the cream cannot eat under the edges, it maintains a good edge and barriar against the cream
4.  When dried, it is not so adherent that a craft knife can't be used to pick away at the excess if there are areas you want etched that have been covered by the cream.
5.  It has good viscosity, so even if there is a heavy layer of it, it will seldom ooze down the piece if you have to stand it up to dry
6.  It does come off easily with a bit of rubbing under the water - BUT I found that once on your counter, do not leave it sitting there, because when it dries, it will STAY on your counter unless you chisel it off- which is why I don't suggest running it down your drain, in case it cements to the side of the pipe and eventually blocks the pipe.

I still have letters stuck on my basement counter from when I did my etched wine bottles for oil this summer.

Other conventional paints would not necessarily work because they may not be thick and viscous enough, and when dry, they may still bleed when in contact with the etching cream because it is a solution.

The stray marks you see are probably the "bloom" from the etching cream slightly etching beyond the area of the stencil after it has been washed off.  There are definitely no black marks on the end product.  It's very light, highlighted by the flash.  However, that occurs when the cream has brief contact with the clear glass, even diluted.  I knew that would happen, and did not mind it - but that is also why I put a thicker outline around the immediate stencil.  I was going to etch another thing behind the unicorn, but changed my mind in case my idea failed.  But if you want your glass to be completely clear around the stencil, either cover a much larger area with paint, or cover the bulk of the glass with tape, leaving your area to be stenciled uncovered, then paint your stencil on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
BunnyTuTu

Is it because I have a waffly nose?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007 06:09:32 AM »

I love these Cheesy

Unicorns are my favourite!!

x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rednecked Rabbit
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007 08:26:00 AM »

Those are so beautiful! My mother-in-law would love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane.
        ~ Jimmy Buffett
jodilee
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007 08:40:40 AM »

Just wanted to add my comments too....................these are seriously good and very professionally done.... i hope your friend loves them. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ajmaley
Harper and Herper

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007 12:00:15 PM »

These are awesome! I used etching cream last Christmas to make a mug with my family crest on it for my brother. I wish I had known about using fabric paint! I had to cut every little bit of the stencil out with a craft knife, what a pain!

I love how yours turned out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thefabfive
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007 12:07:45 PM »

wat kinda paint did u use 2 make theese canisters?they r so darn cute1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2007 01:36:18 PM »

Onyxnox, you are so helpful!  It's no wonder at all while so many folks voted for you & this project! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007 08:10:38 PM »

thanks everyone!  I'm basically lazy and I found that holding the metal barrel of the craft knife really hurt my hand - that's why I started using the paint technique - much easier and faster, and the fluidity allows for nicer curves.  It's more forgiving than contact paper if a mistake is made too.

wat kinda paint did u use 2 make theese canisters?they r so darn cute1

It was just the bottles of dimensional fabric paint.  I think Walmart has them in bigger containers - I had the small 1-2 oz sized ones which are comfortable to hold in the hand for doing more fine detail work.  It is the one with the fine point end for finer detail and writing.  Tulip is one brand I have seen in Canada.  I think I have even seen them in the dollar stores occasionally.  I think I would use the large containers for doing flat pieces, or large areas - but still keep a couple of bottles of the small ones for smaller more detailed work where you need to have good hand control.

Since colour won't matter - buy whatever crappy colour is on clearance - it all gets washed off anyways - so who cares if it is the colour of baby vomit or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
SomethingSweet
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007 09:01:50 PM »

These are incredible!!!  What a great idea Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl African American Hair Naturally
How to Get Soft and Shiny Hair With Oil Treatments
A Banging New Hair Salon
Hot Hair Trend: Celebs Darken Up Their Locks
How To Get The Bouffant Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...