A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aliya the Elephant and her Earmuffs (earmuff pattern included)  (Read 1305 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 30, 2007 06:56:52 AM »

Okay, so this is a totally goofy crochet project, but hey? What's life without a few goofy things!

First off, I made romansock's Pocket Elephant. I made the trunk a little big, but I think its rather endearing:

I named her Aliya (Sri Lankan for elephant and yes, I scarily did know that off the top of my head) -

and then realized - she's going in a swap to Michigan! Elephants don't live in snow and cold! What to do?

I imagined that an elephant would get very cold indeed with exposed ears. So I made her some earmuffs!

Fun, huh? They were super easy and a cute addition to the swap package full of little creatures.

Here's the way I made the earmuffs, in case you're wondering. And there's a full post on my blog about them:

http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com/2007/11/elephant-earmuffs.html

Start with the left side and chain 7. Do 9 treble crochets into chain #4. Slip stitch from the last treble crochet into chain #1.

Then, create the middle of the left side - single crochet back to chain #7 on the half moon side.

Then you're going to chain 7 and repeat. The only difference is you are going to anchor each treble crochet onto the single crochet stitches in the middle with a slip stitch.

So in effect, the instructions look like this: Chain 7, create treble crochet in chain #4, slip stitch into single crochet row, create treble crochet from the top (where you just slip stitched) and anchor into chain #4 with a slip stitch, and repeat until you have 9 total. When you're finished with the last treble crochet, anchor it with a slip stitch to the end of the single crochets.

Then you're going to create the brace at the top of the earmuffs. This one's easy - chain 10, single crochet 10 stitches, and chain 10 into the single crochets so you reach the end of the line.

Now this is where it gets a bit tricky. You're going to repeat the same steps you did to make the first muff but you need to make sure that you face the bottom/foundation chain to the middle! If you don't, you're going to end up with a twisted muff on the right side. And don't feel bad if you have to try it a couple times - even I had to and I designed the pattern!

(In case you forgot or prefer the shorthand, here's how to make the muff: ch 7, 9 tc in ch 4, sl st ch 1. ch 7, *tc in ch4, sl st to sc #1, tc in sc #1, sl st to ch 4* Rep * until 9 tc, sl st ch 1. (make sure to face bottom chain to the inside!).)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
MandyLikesPie
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007 07:05:45 AM »

This is awesome!  Cheesy I already thought the elephant was great, but when I scrolled down and saw the muffs it got even better. So cute! It reminds me a bit of Princess Leia. You know, if she were an elephant.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gnathalie2
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007 08:20:18 AM »

LOL!!  I guess even ami need earmuffs!!  Super cute!!
Nathalie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

make today a positive one!
www.gnathalie2.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Spring Rolls
How to make Coconut Chicken Soup - Thai Foodcast
How to make a Papaya Salad or Som Tam - Thai Foodcast
Dashi-Braised Shitakes with Brown Rice
Kung Pao Spaghetti
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...