A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: two knitted hats  (Read 3545 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sheepishxlion
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007 07:49:06 PM »

Hi!  Your hats look great!
I was wondering what sort of decreses you used.  When I knit two together, they lay so flat I almost can't see my decreases,  but yours stand up and make the top of the hat have such a nice spiral. 

Maybe I really do knit too tight.

Thanks!!

I just knit two together.

As far as knitting too tight do you pull the yarn after you've made your stitch (knit or purl). I use to do that when I first started off knitting and my stitches were always so tight and i used so much yarn for projects. Then I read somewhere not to do that, I stopped and my knitting became nice even gauge. I'm not sure if this is the case with you so this advice might not help but thought I'd share, encase it does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my shop: sheepishxlion.etsy.com
Gizank
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007 08:02:25 AM »

I just knit two together.

As far as knitting too tight do you pull the yarn after you've made your stitch (knit or purl). I use to do that when I first started off knitting and my stitches were always so tight and i used so much yarn for projects. Then I read somewhere not to do that, I stopped and my knitting became nice even gauge. I'm not sure if this is the case with you so this advice might not help but thought I'd share, encase it does.

I do pull after the stitch.  I knit English, and frequently "check" my tension by straightening my finger out.  The funny thing is, I get very even tension and older knitters I have shown work to say all kinds of wonderful things (maybe they're just shocked because I'm a guy) about the evenness and quality of my knitting.  However, it has been an occasional challenge when working so tight.  I never get close to suggested gauge without moving up a needle size...  sometimes two.

Thanks for the advice!  I hadn't thought of those aspects of knitting so tight (particularly the yarn usage).  I will have to practice working looser.  I have only been at it for a few months, but habits grow quickly. 

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HomekeepingGran
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007 01:18:30 PM »

I really like both of them!  Very nice hats.  And your hat recipe is very understandable and looks completely correct!  Excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessings,
Carla

"She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands."  Proverbs 31:13
JLMS
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2007 06:08:00 AM »

These look so professional. I love the colors you have chosen. Wonderful work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheepishxlion
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007 09:41:44 AM »

HomekeepingGran and JLMS and anyone else who compliment and I may have missed thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my shop: sheepishxlion.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Beet Pancake Recipe
Pizza Muffins Recipe
Top Ten Turkey Tips for Thanksgiving
Top Five Thanksgiving Tips
How to Make Turkey Pot Pies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...