A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 303,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: CONTENT REMOVED: Twisting Thread  (Read 554 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 29, 2007 02:04:00 PM »

This user chose to remove her content from Craftster.  The thread is being left in case there is helpful information in the remaining posts. - jungrrl
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011 03:57:56 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007 08:30:32 AM »

I've found that forcing the needle and thread to untwist only makes the twisting and knotting worse.  If i let the threaded needle dangle from my stitching and let gravity spin it out when I notice too much twisting, it prevents much of that knotting.  Another thing you can do is if you are using more than one strand of embroidery floss take them out of the floss individually.  For example, if you need 3 strands of a 6 strand floss, pull out each strand and match it up again to get the 3 strands you want to embroider with.  Even when you are ready to use the other half of the 6 strands, separate those remaining 3 strands and match them up again.  I'm not sure why this helps, but it does.  Maybe because the threads are sort of twisted together in the skein, and separating them undoes some of that twisting. 

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007 07:03:48 AM »

I second the advice above - let the thread dangle every now and then, and separate out the strands before threading your needle.  It also helps to use a short piece of thread.  I usually work with about 10-12" at a time.  If a use a piece of thread that is any longer, I end up with knots. 

My craft blog: One Pearl Button

She blinded me with wisting
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007 08:17:06 PM »

how many strands are you sewing with?
i started off using two strands and i got nothing but knots and never knew why.. when you switch to a single thread you get way less knots. if you want a thicker thread buy a larger thread instead of using two small threads. another thing you can try is getting a piece of beeswax and lightly running your thread over it twice before you start... just don't let too much wax get on it

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007 08:21:36 PM »

make sure to get a new needle every now and then too because as you work away the sweat on your fingers removes the plating on the needle and it starts to drag

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Denise Kiernan on Life in the Manhattan Project’s Secret Cities
Cohabitate and Live Longer
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...