A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Difficult Dad  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soxfan16
« on: November 29, 2007 11:03:17 AM »

Alright, so I got some great ideas for my sister and mother off of these boards but am at a loss as to what to make for my Dad for Christmas.

Heres a run down
50's
College archeology professor
Likes books, Mel Brooks-style humor, sweets, anything old

I want to make him some chocolate dipped spoons for his cocoa because I think he'd enjoy that, but I need something to go with them, or a more clever presentation.

Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dana_M_S
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007 12:54:11 PM »

This isn't much of an addition, but I've done the chocolate covered spoons before and I've added sprinkles, which makes it a bit more festive.

What about a subscription to Mental Floss?  It's a neat magazine he might enjoy (www.mentalfloss.com).  They also have some interesting t-shirts and other gift ideas for "intellectuals" that he might like.  My personal favorite is the "Lady MacBeth Hand Soap" t-shirt.  

The History Channel web site would be good too - www.history.com.

My dad's impossible too - he's a retired plumber who watches TV or sits at his computer most of the day.  There's only so many CDs the man needs!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bastet
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007 11:01:55 PM »

Dad's! They seem to be the same type worldwide. Mine is not better then yours when it comes to christmas-presents...

Why don't you get a nice big (not to say huge) mug to hold all the chocolate-spoons. You could decorate the mug or by a christmas-mug. I personally would paint it myself with porcellain-colours (to be fixed in a normal stove) with red and white stripes. Get a white mug and you only need one colour to make it.

Another real good tread is:
pecan-nuts with chocolate.  I've seen them here:http://www.candymanor.com/s/shopexd.asp?id=59
but one can make the at home easily:

Just let really good chocolate melt on your heater. It is the easiest way. Chopp chocolate and fill it in a bowl. Let the bowl rest on the heater (radiator). Takes some time to melt the chocolate but never gets to hot to burn it.
Place pecan or walnuts on a backing sheet in form of a flower. When chocolate ist melted place a thick drop of chocolate in the middle of the nuts and let cool.

You could also make the pretzel-sticks with chocolate and mix them up with the spoons.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonablaze
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007 12:55:26 AM »

you could smash up some candy canes and sprinkle those in the spoons to make peppermint hot chocolate, or instant coffee for mocha... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dana_M_S
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007 01:44:12 PM »

I've had good luck melting chocolate in the microwave 10 to 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between.  Just don't burn it - it really ruins it! 

Peppermint bark is also really easy to make.  Just melt white chocolate, add smashed peppermint pieces and some peppermint extract and lay it (not too think - about 1/8 inch) it in a bowl or pan (I line it with plastic wrap so it comes out easier) then refridgerate it and break it apart when hard.  You can even layer milk or dark chocoalte first and then add the white with the peppermint.  It's so easy and it is so yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soxfan16
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007 02:17:10 PM »

ooo, bark, good idea, I completely forgot that he goes gaga for that stuff. I think I'll end up making him some sort of package of sweets, thanks for your ideas everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add an Extracted Photo to A Backdrop Matrix Poster
How to change the frame color
Prolines Vol 2 Sports Poster Tutorial
How to Understand Photoshop Layers
Prolines Vol 2 sports Ticket customization
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...