A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: need help deciding on a plan of action  (Read 253 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creepyhugger
« on: November 29, 2007 09:14:53 AM »

ok.  so i'm trying to knit the deep v argyle vest (eunny jang, of course), and i am having serious gauge issues.  i'm using merino style (knitpicks).  pattern recommends US 4 needles to get a gauge of 22 st and 30 rows per 4 inches.  i started with US 5's, since i know i am a tight knitter, and got 28 st and 32 rows.  went up to 6's and got 26 st and 28 rows.  using my amazing powers of extrapolation, i would have to go up to US 8's to get st gauge!!!!  my row gauge would be way off, but that's easier for me to accommadate than st gauge.

so my questions:

should i knit a larger size?  my math leads me to believe that i would need to knit a 52" bust to fit my 42" bust, but won't the waist decreases be messed up and my waist turn out too big?  i checked the schematics and both the 52" bust and 42" bust have a 3" difference between the hip and waist.

should i tough it out and do copious amounts of math to hopefully end up with a garment that fits?  keep in mind, this is a steeked vest and is difficult to try on for fit, especially since the circular needle is not big enough to go around my waist.

am i just the craziest tightest knitter in the world?!  going up four sizes?!  i've never had to go up four needle sizes before!  is eunny just the most laid back loose knitter in the world?  who is at fault here!  someone must pay for all these fruitless swatches knit in the round, i tell ya!

*whew*  i feel a bit better after that little outburst.  i will now sit back and await the sage advice of my fellow craftsters. Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007 10:12:15 AM »

should i tough it out and do copious amounts of math to hopefully end up with a garment that fits?  keep in mind, this is a steeked vest and is difficult to try on for fit, especially since the circular needle is not big enough to go around my waist.

You might have to, and put your stitches on waste string to try on as you go on.

Soz, chick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clicksticks
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007 10:34:38 AM »

Also, how does the knit fabric you are producing look to you?  Does it have as much drape as you would want in a vest?  I say if you are knitting a fabric you like, stick with your gauge and redo the math.  If you think the fabric is too squished and tight, keep going up.

Also, have you blocked your swatch yet?  Sometimes blocking loosens my gauge up a LOT.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
creepyhugger
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007 12:08:10 PM »

yep.  washed and blocked like a good little girl.  the drape on the second swatch seems fine... this is my first fair isle, though, so i don't know.  it's not very stretchy, which i attributed to the floats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Tissue Paper Flower
How to Make a Happy Sun Face
Face Painting - Alien Brushwork Details
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 5/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 4/5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...