A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,717
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: LP Cover CD Holder - now with tutorial  (Read 5734 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ouch_less
« on: December 29, 2004 02:56:56 PM »

Been skulking around the board for about a year now, but this is my first post.

I got an iPod mini and gave my mom my discman and a bunch of my CDs for Christmas, but wanted to give her something (semi) new as well. This is what I came up with. It's a CD case made out of an old Romper Room LP cover. More pages can be added to it as she gets more CDs.

Front

Back

Spine

Inside
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010 04:20:21 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
eskimopie83
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004 03:26:16 PM »

no tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Ashley
ouch_less
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004 04:07:49 PM »

no tutorial?

I'll get one up soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ouch_less
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004 05:38:50 PM »

OK. First of all, here's what you need:

1 (or 2) LP cover(s)...depending on whether you want different images on the front and back
1 length of ribbon (about 10-12 inches...can be cut if too long)
paper CD sleeves with a flap on the top... you can get funky coloured ones here: http://www.yesbuy.net/pacdeny.html
a hole punch
scissors
glue gun

Step 1: Measure one of your sleeves WITH THE FLAP OPEN. Mine were 5 inches by 6, but that might not be a standard measurement.

Step 2: On your LP cover, pencil the outline of this measurement. One of the two shorter ends must fall along a folded edge on the cover:

Step 3: Flip over the LP cover and tack about an inch extra onto this length so that, after it's cut and unfolded, your rectangle will have a spine of an inch after the bend in the cardboard. Usually there is already about an inch of reinforcement inside the cover where one side has been glued to the other:

Step 4: Repeat steps 1 and 2 on a different part of the cover - or a completely different cover, depending on what effect you're going for.

Step 5: Glue the two spine bits one on top of the other with the glue gun so that you've got what looks like a book cover (front cover, back cover and doubly-thick spine).

Step 6: Mark out two Xs on your back cover parallel to each other. This is where you're going to thread your ribbon:

Step 7: Punch a hole on each x.

Step 8: Stack together as many CD sleeves as you're going to include in the case with the flaps open. Line them up inside the case with the edges of the flaps touching the top edge of the back cover, and mark off Xs where they meet the holes in the back cover.

Step 9: Once again, punch out the Xs.

Step 10: Take your length of ribbon and thread it through the back cover like you would a shoelace, with both ends coming through to the inside of the cover. Then thread the ribbon ends through their respective holes on the CD sleeves. Tie the ribbon.

You'll have some excess length on the front cover which you can now cut off based on the size of your CD sleeves.

That's it! Hope this wasn't too confusing. It's actually a dead simple craft, but I'm terrible at instructions.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010 01:10:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadey_mcshadey

kys mig, jeg er dansk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004 06:39:48 PM »

ROMPER ROOM!!! She never looked through her mirror and said my name, though  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ouch_less
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004 01:31:56 PM »

ROMPER ROOM!!! She never looked through her mirror and said my name, though  Sad

That's what everyone says! She traumatized thousands of children.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rabid.dustbunny
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004 03:27:06 PM »

Be glad she never said your name - she said mine and I almost peed my pants, it freaked me out! I wondered what else she could see and who else could see me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood it's ground.
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005 11:41:53 AM »

Oh wow, this looks WAY too awesome to not try! I've been trying to make one with cardboard, but too flimsy. I have a lovely old Elton John LP cover to deface Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Caricatures
How to Draw a Lily
How to Create a Realistic Eye Drawing
How to Do the Graffiti Letter K
How to Do the Graffiti Letter N
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...