A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 190 Adorable Felt Animal Mascots - Japanese Craft Book Review  (Read 4618 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

glittersniffer
OneOfTheWeirdo's!

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2007 12:19:19 PM »

Gets a big boo in my book. The girl who sold it to me didn't represent it well at all. She showed only full color photos and not how the patterns are printed, giving me the impression it was all color photos. It's all in Japanese which I could have figured out IF she had noted that there were no pictures to go along with the patterns. It's also pretty small, not a hardcover, which it appeared to be, and the pattern paper is very flimsy...

Not impressed, I was super excited and now I'm just pissed.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us!: facebook.com/gscosmetics

^^^Colorful Happiness ^^^
pixidance
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 12:47:21 PM »

That's interesting.  I have this book and I love it.  The papers that the patterns are on are cardstock paper (about like an index card)  I just trace onto regular paper cut out and go!

My book is also about the size of a regular magazine, but a little bit narrower.  I wonder if there are a couple of different printings?  my ISBN is 9784391117585

as far as the pictures not being with the patterns...the pictures have a number next to them which corresponds to the number on the patters Wink  that way, you can poke through the book and find the right pattern.

I hope that helped you out a little bit Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007 01:55:32 PM »

I also have this book and love the patterns in it  Get some tracing paper to use to trace the patterns onto  and them put them onto card stock paper.   pixidance is right the photo's have numbers by them and you need to look to find the pattern pieces. it is a bit confusing compared to how patterns are done in the USA but with some searching around you can get used to it.  I found I had problems with the crochet patterns in some books, since they use parts of another pattern in the pattern and you have to really dig to find them.  But once you get the hang of the japanese craft books they are super cute and sweet and make great items.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glittersniffer
OneOfTheWeirdo's!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007 03:58:00 PM »

Thanks alot gals! I feel like an arse for not realizing that sooner! Also, with them being so tiny, how do you make them come out decent looking? Good felt? Extra seam allowance? Awesome scissors? Thanks again for helping me, I feel really silly now  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join us!: facebook.com/gscosmetics

^^^Colorful Happiness ^^^
My House Boutique

"Where Life is Handmade and Heart-Loved."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007 10:23:00 PM »

They're sooooo cute!  I bet you can enlarge the patterns to your desirable size.  And use fabric shears; I bought a pair and haven't looked back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixidance
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007 08:13:17 PM »

I hand sew mine.  I can imagine if you were using a machine that you'd want to enlarge the pattern.

here's a link to a finished project from the book.  It's one of the larger horses, not the tiny mascots.  My little ones have turned out just fine too.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=203541.msg2170453#msg2170453

This horse is hand sewn and exactly the same size as the pattern in the book from page 93 Smiley

Don't be afraid to play around with the patterns either, I've had so much fun with this book that I bought 3 more japanese craft books!  I'm hooked!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gilowyn
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007 01:10:04 PM »

I don't even trace the pattern, just more or less cut it out... and I don't sew them the way they say, just using my own way. Smiley

I have used thick acrylic felt in the past, so I am using a blanket stitch from the outside, then just stuff whenever I am almost done. That doesn't work with tiny arms etc - you really need thin wool felt for those critters.

I like the book, it's fun when I don't feel like doing socks... And it does annoy me that there are people selling the exact same critters as their "own" designs on Etsy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Runway-Inspired Textured Waves
Tyra Banks Suing Wig Companies For $10M
Hair Extensions 101: The 4 Different Types
How to Do an Easy Updo for Short Hair
How To Rock Hollywood Glam Finger Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...