A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
802 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Choosing a Dremel - what do you have?  (Read 1228 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenna rose
« on: November 28, 2007 09:33:14 AM »

« Last Edit: January 29, 2008 01:19:36 AM by jenna rose » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 06:25:41 PM »

I actually have a Craftsman from Sears, but it's fully compatible with all Dremel brand bits & doodads. I've had it for more than ten years and acquired a lot of accesories in that time. I don't recall exactly which ones came with it originally but I did get it in a tool box type case with a pull out drawer for allllllll the extras : ) Mine is a variable speed type which I love.

My dad was given a Riobi tool of similar make- he hated it, it was rather wimpy.

If you intend on jewelry & will be doing metal work you want one with higher torqe & horsepower, cordless usually desn't have enough to drill silver. Besides, when working in a small area, like when you do jewelry, a cord isn't too much bother : ) Now getting into nooks on a chair, it can be cumbersome.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007 03:06:24 AM »

Dremel Multi-Pro with the flex-shaft and a slew of 40-grit cutters here. I love that thing, but it scares me. I'm afraid of flying debris or loose bits when that thing gets to over say 12000 rpm. Big wuss here Smiley
It works very well though! Highly recommended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007 04:30:16 AM »

The Dremel I have is the first one you listed.

I've used it for everything from cutting metal (computer case mods), to wood. It has not let me down once.

The only Dremel I don't recommend is the cordless. It's my understanding that they can sometimes let you down without enough power.

MMmmmmm....power tools!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vinnie451
Onna Otaku

Craft or Die!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007 01:29:26 AM »

The only Dremel I don't recommend is the cordless. It's my understanding that they can sometimes let you down without enough power.

Definatley get something with a cord. Batterie life is crap and you have about half the power of a plug in model.

My hus band bought the newest biggest one he could find. Its Dremel brand and we have like ever accessory for it and use it for soooooo many things. I love the flex shaft attachment. It is easier to hold than the big main unit so it reduces fatigue if you are using it for long periods of time. It also helps you get into tight places if you need to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now With Craft Blog - http://vinnie451craft.blogspot.com/

"Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great art can come from anywhere." Ego, Ratatouille
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008 06:25:38 PM »

So I just got a Dremel Multipro 2855-01 for Christmas and I'm at a complete loss...it doesn't have particularly user friendly instructions and I find the website confusing. Am I just Dremel impaired? I am very familiar with using full sizedpower drills and sanders, but this is making me feel very dumb. I mainly want to be able to drill and sand metal and wood and possibly etch glass. Any suggestions or guidance? What accoutrements should I get?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
SpottedFrog
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008 06:33:48 PM »

I do a lot of trial & error :/ when I bought most of my bits I had a specific task in mind & bought accordingly...but now all those packages and labels are gone, so I fiddle around.

The sandpaper ones are pretty straight forward, they are sand paper equivalents.

The wire brush type ones I've only used once or twice, but you may have a lot of use for with metals Smiley

The rubbery bits I've never used successfully, or was trying to use them for the wrong thing.

The thin little disks that sorta seem ceramic are the dense cut off wheels, they are great on a lot of things but really brittle, that's why they sell them by the dozen.

Grab an assortment of materials & your goggles & go play Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008 06:56:53 PM »

Thanks, Penlowe. My 13 year old daughter just figured it out for me Roll Eyes and I managed to find my way around the website. I guess I was just so excited at getting it that I let it intimidate me Tongue
Now I can't wait to dig under the snow for some of the tin and copper I left outside to age  Wink
Sorry for all the smileys, but I'm loving the New Year's hats they're wearing today Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
vinnie451
Onna Otaku

Craft or Die!

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008 02:36:42 AM »

If you are working with metal I suggest not just goggles but long sleves and good gloves. Metal spliners are not fun and the peice you are working on can get supper hot from all the friction.

Also make sure you have the whole set of the silver peice that holds the bits. Drill bits are smaller and need a differant adapter than sand paper bits etc. If you don't already have you may also want to get a few good clampy things to hold your stuff steady and free you hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now With Craft Blog - http://vinnie451craft.blogspot.com/

"Not everyone can be a great artist, but a great art can come from anywhere." Ego, Ratatouille
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008 05:51:57 PM »

I tend to not use gloves in my metal work-I know, I know, you're supposed to, but I have a hard time controlling tin snips,etc...when I wear them. I have a high tolerance for pain, very little vanity about beat up hands and an up-to- date tetanus shot Grin
I was wondering if there are any super-secret ways people use to cool down the tool/metal from high friction?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Model Slimmer in Photoshop
How To Upload HD Video in Sony Vegas
How to Apply Digital Tattoos
How to Create Sound in After Effects
How to Use The Liquefy Filter
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...