A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,168
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: eco-friendly Decoration ideas!  (Read 3676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Girl Annual
« on: November 28, 2007 09:24:57 AM »

Hi Crafters!

I live in a city neighborhood that, ever year, has a decorate-your-building-exterior contest. This year the theme is "A Green Christmas", as in, environmental decoration ideas.  I'm determined to participate!  And I know I can rely on you creative lot to help me come up with fabulous ideas.

Plus, it's just a plain old good idea.

I want to focus on the three R's, of course:  reduce  (don't buy new stuff to make the decorations) Reuse  (reuse what I have, and make things that can be reused in following years, or other applications) and Recycle  (anything to be trashed should be recyclable!)

So far, these are my ideas:

• Reduce my use of lights, and put a timer on the lights so they only operate about 3 hours a day
  • Use lots and lots of ribbon!  (reusable, and best of all - compact storage!)
  • Use evergreen boughs (can be collected by the City along with trees after christmas,  and made into garden mulch)
  • Punctuated with real Ivy, and cranberries  (would bird eat these?)(compostable!)
  • Craft idea:  A recycled paper wreath - made from color pages of newspaper, or magazine pages, or even last year's torn up wrapping paper,  crumpled up and stuffed in a wire wreath frame
  • Use natural items, like pine cones, hung in bunches with ribbons
  • I was even thinking of making hanging balls of jingle-bells that ring when the wind blows (sounds like Christmas to me!)
  • Popcorn balls is a neat idea INSIDE, but outside would result in a pigeon-feeding-frenzy  Cheesy
  • Some kind of decoration made of empty green wine bottles + red ribbon  (hmmmmm, this needs some though...)

Craft community, I challenge you to suggest lots of ideas, and show Craftster's green side by making this a big topic!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 06:31:31 PM »

Look on the craftalongs page,there's a recycling themed one-a different green idea each month,dec.is gifts and decorations.
I've heard of-but not tried-the idea of taking a string of lights(not minis) and putting a junk cd behind each bulb to reflect like crazy.Tie red ribbon on your green wine bottles.Make flowers from paper,or white plastic bags,or cut a milk jug up into petal shapes and make a flower-fill the wine bottle "vases".If you have a glass cutter,cut of the tops,drop a candle inside for luminarias.Or fill paper bags halfway with sand for the same.I saw somewhere,a magazine?, ICE luminarias.I think they took a paper milk carton,put a smaller one inside,filled the space between with water,weighted down the center box,froze them.Ripped off paper,lined the walk,dropped in a candle.Again,I've never done it-that's my vague memory of how it was done.It looked awesome! Punch a design in a tin can-same general idea.If you have access to brushwood,and time-make a twig sculpture.Bend thin limbs,tie with twine,make a deer or something.Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
bastet
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007 05:52:28 AM »

we have had a decorate-your-window-contest in our neighbourhood and some years ago someone made the first price with the following decoration:
a black-cardboard-skyline in each window. The skyline had little  windows from colored transparent-paper.
It look awesome and is kind of a green idea, since you do not need more electricity to light it, since it is lit as soon as you light up the lamp in your room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebs

Too busy wisting to be resting...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007 06:24:15 AM »

Not sure if you care to feed the birds or are afraid they will eat all of your decorations but you could also do the pinecone thing with a little extra something for our winged friends.

http://www.diyalert.com/node/3996
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007 06:36:08 AM »

There was a neat soda can wreath on here. We have hung small milk jugs on our string of lights and they glowed red and green (we did this for a similarly themed parade 2 years ago.) Grapevine style wreaths with garden waste.
Candy wrappers are often colorful, so if you could reuse them somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leelou
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007 08:37:12 AM »

A few ideas:

- Most sweaters have little ribbons to hang your clothes on. Cut these of and you have perfect recycled ribbons.
- Use charms and beads from old jewellery to make decorations
- use fabric from old clothes for Christmas balls and ornaments and fill them with wool from old sweaters.
- use good old breaddough (do you call it this way? it is dough that you can use as clay (brooddeeg in Dutch)) - again with your recycles ribbons  Wink
- look close to each gift you get - the packaging material can be quite nice for Christmas (ribbons, papers, etc)

Good luck

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007 08:41:48 AM »

See if you can get some LCD lights, they are fantastic and pretty, and use less electricity.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Girl Annual
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007 07:30:51 AM »

omygosh, these are GREAT ideas everyone! 

I LOVE the soda can wreath,  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=135262.0 
I would love to do the ice luminaries, but our weather is iffy right now, for sure theyd melt in a day  Sad
And the Christmas balls made from old clothes are so simple, and brilliant!

keep 'em coming!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fasiska
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008 04:01:38 PM »

So I know this is so late in the thread but every year one of the neighbors on my street would ask everyone to start collecting their used milk jugs around thanksgiving time and give them to him. He would cut a hole in the sides of them, clean them out and fill them with sand and place a tea light in them and line the whole street with them to help guide the reindeer to our street. It was really neat since we had a lot of kids on our street. It helped us sleep better that night knowing that Santa couldn't miss us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rented_angel
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008 10:34:28 AM »

Lining the street with candles to make sure Santa can't miss you is an adorable idea. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Craft a Duct Tape Halloween Bag
How to Craft a Duct Tape Backpack
How to Craft a Christmas Gourd Snowman
How to Turn Regular Socks Into Non-Skid Slipper Socks
How to Make Christmas Party Hats
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...