A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ISO of dessert without sugar or dairy  (Read 725 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2007 11:49:56 PM »

So, between trying to eat healthier and a newly developed inability to digest dairy, I've been pretty sad about dessert lately. Eating sugar now that I've tapered off it makes me really sick, but what kind of dessert type thing can I have? I've been drinking a lot of green tea with splenda and doing the fruit for dessert thing, but I really like crunchy things too. I can eat a little bit of sugar without feeling sick, but not something chalk full of it, like a regular cookie.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007 11:50:37 PM by maremare312 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007 07:23:00 AM »

There are lots of sugar-free dessert recipes out there, like this site: http://www.thatsmyhome.com/sugar-free-recipes/sugarfree-desserts.htm

If there's dairy in it, just substitute a soy product for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007 01:15:52 PM »

Thanks! I've been told you can't use soymilk to make boxed pudding because it wont set up, I wonder if there is any pre-made dairy free pudding out there?

Also, last night I ate a tofutti cutie (faux ice cream sandwich) which I used to think was disgusting, but it's been so long that I've been able to eat ice cream that I thought it was great! It only had 9 grams of sugar in it, and that didn't seem to upset my tummy or head!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007 09:13:44 PM »

my dad is a dentist, and has recently been promoting the use of Xylitol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol.  which is spossed to be healthier for you than splenda, it's a little harder to come by though.  i've been lowcarbing it for the past several months, and my doctor gave me a great recipie for ice cream, i'm sure since you can't have dairy, you could switch to soy cream (or a heavy soy milk).  you take some frozen fruit (it has to be frozen, or this won't work), ice cubes, cream (or in your case, soy milk) vanilla, and just some sweetner to taste.  put it in a blender, and blend untill creamy and smooth.  i love it.  it's so quick and simple and it tastes EXACTLY like ice cream but without all the carbs.  i'm not sure whatelse to recommend to you.  if i come up with anything i'll tell ya.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
kelelana
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007 04:52:07 PM »

You actually can use soymilk for boxed puddings, you just need to use less than called for.  I've tried it a few times and it's worked great for me.  I think I remember using up to a half cup less soy milk for the small package of Jello pudding, but it's been a while since I've done it, so you may want to experiment a bit.

The Silk Soymilk website suggests to use less soy milk for puddings and pie fillings (it doesn't say how much) and to add 1/4 cup cornstarch.  I've never tried this myself, so I don't know how well it turns out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollyis
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 03:39:14 AM »

soy pudding is easy to come by, but certainly not sugar free!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sending letters, finding buttons, my new vegan chocolate ice cream recipe, coffee, getting mail.
franzilovescats
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007 10:20:07 AM »

ooo soy pudding is amazing. i make a pretty delicious warm cornstarch pudding that takes less than oh say, 3 minutes.
  for a quick soylicious pudding fix i fill a mug with soymilk, (for no sugar, im thinking use unsweetened soymilk and add some splenda to sweeten it up?) then in a seperate container, i mix about two tablespoons of cornstarch with some soymilk to make it liquidy. mix it into your mug of soymilk and microwave until creamy. enjoy delicious warm pudding!!!
sometimes i use a little cocoa powder to make chocolate pudding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introducing Dress to Kill
How to Rock the Statement Coat
How to Rock the Seventies-Inspired Platform Heel
Did Miranda Kerr Have the Most Stylish Weekend Ever?
Rihanna Reveals River Island Holiday Collection
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...