A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: guitar-shaped bag for my boyfriend's PSP (WITH TUTORIAL. and so many pics!!)  (Read 50712 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2007 , tutorial , guitar , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mewyam

bored and crafty

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2007 10:33:30 PM »

my boyfriend saw a guitar-shaped sling bag and he got crazy over it. so i offered to make him one. however, he said that it should be small, just perfect for his PSP slim.

well.you've probably seen bigger and leather versions of this. what i made was veddy small. just a bit bigger than a paperback.

that would be a fender stratocaster . screws are handsewn with gold threads. knobs are buttons. there are so many things that i would change about this bag. i will make a gibson les paul for me and it will be better.  Cheesy

TUTORIAL:

1. Print a guitar image onto an A4 paper. Trace your image; 2 for the body, 2 for lining, 2 for your scratchplate.

2. Out of silver-y fabric, cut and sew rectangle and tear-shaped pieces. The rectangle would be your whammy bar while the tear-shaped piece would serve as your input jack.

3. Take your scratchplate pieces, right sides together, and sew all the way around. Leave a 2-inch gap for turning inside out.

4. After this, clip all the way around so that the curves would be better-defined. Turn inside out and sew on top of the front body of your bag. Use the image you printed for the position of the scratchplate.

5. Now sew the whammy bar and the input jack. Take three strips of bias tape (or any fabric that matches the color of your scratchplate). Their length should be the same as your whammy bar. These strips would be your single-coil pickups. Position them according to the image and sew. Mark the parts of the scratchplate where the screws are. Embroider these with silver thread. Handsew circles on the strips you just added. Remember,these circles should be aligned.

6. Mark the volume and tone controls. Sew on buttons for these.

7. Now position your front and back pieces, right sides together. Sew from the highest points of the curved tops on both sides. Do the same to the lining, leaving a gap at the bottom. (If you want, you can add a pocket or two before doing this.)

8. Turn the outer body inside out and place it inside the lining. Sew the opening of your bag.

9. Pull out your outer body through the gap at the bottom of the lining.

10. Your bag is starting to take shape. Smiley Topstitch the top part.

11. Attach one end of the strap with the rectangular ring for the adjuster. Sew the other end. Do not forget to sew the gap in your lining shut.

12. And you're done!

And here is mine, back from a trip to the mall.

FYI, I know nothing about guitars, I had to google the parts as my boyfriend is not around to tell me. Cheesy
Happy sewing.
UH, PLEASE DONT MAKE ANY FOR SELLING. THANKS. Smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 11:45:42 PM by mewyam » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i need a glue gun. my boyfriend stole my glue gun. he's making glue-turds, he said.

http://boredandcrafty.com
http://boredandcrafty.etsy.com
Dreaminsanity

everybody, just pretend to be normal!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007 10:43:48 PM »

SO awesome!!  Shocked
I love the detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007 10:44:05 PM »

wow, that's so cool! and pretty unique. good job creating your own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
pinkpoodle230
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007 10:51:38 PM »

Cute!
And les pauls are sweet looking guitars  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fried Gold
Rude and Ginger

Go Team Venture!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007 10:52:47 PM »

OMG, I'm in love with this. I wish I wasn't overrun with handbags because I want one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts; you can't get rid of it no matter how hard you try."
Pinkguin
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007 11:00:25 PM »

Wow! THIS IS AMAZING! It looks so good, even better than those pleather (plastic-leather) ones that sells for ridiculous prices! This is really great! I'm hitting "this rocks" in a moment! Great job! And if you do make a les paul version, do post it up, I am sure it'll be swwwwweeeeeeeeeet!Also, I was wondering, does it close with a zip or button?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hand it over to you on a plate

http://www.wists.com/Pinkguin
mewyam

bored and crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007 11:11:21 PM »

oh yay thanks for the nice feedback Smiley cant wait my show my boyfriend your comments. he is very proud of his bag, it's insane. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i need a glue gun. my boyfriend stole my glue gun. he's making glue-turds, he said.

mewyam

bored and crafty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007 11:16:35 PM »

Wow! THIS IS AMAZING! It looks so good, even better than those pleather (plastic-leather) ones that sells for ridiculous prices! This is really great! I'm hitting "this rocks" in a moment! Great job! And if you do make a les paul version, do post it up, I am sure it'll be swwwwweeeeeeeeeet!Also, I was wondering, does it close with a zip or button?

thanks!
the bag doesn't have a lock. it's small you see. so, the opening does not gape Wink
and the PSP rests perfectly in the bottom curved part so it's far from evil snatching hands. heehee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007 11:32:35 PM »

Wow that's just the most fantastic bag, I totally thought it was an actual guitar from the lil thumbnail on the homepage and was particularly interested as my bloke has a guitar that looks just like it only it was beige and he's currently sanding it down and reconstructing it so I wondered what the post was, and I look and there's a freeeaking bag Shocked  Anyways I digress, that bag is totally amaaaazing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loveren13
The girl you never think to consider

Excuse me, are you the imprint of a departed soul?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007 11:46:03 PM »

Sweet job!!  It looks so realistic!  There is just no words that I can think of that can describe how flippin awesome that is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Rainbow Hot Dogs
How to Upgrade Your Burger with Pimiento Cheese
Daphne Oz’s Mexican Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Perfectly Pretty Lace Pancakes Recipe
How to Make Baked Bull’s-Eye Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...