A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magnet Board  (Read 6153 times)
Tags for this thread: magnet_board  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2004 10:22:31 AM »

It's been a while since my last project post...
I took an old do-it-yourself cheapie frame, removed the picture and glass and replaced it with a piece of sheet metal (for duct work--from Home Depot--it was about $4 or $5). I cut the sheet with special metal cutting scissors and I also managed to cut my flesh in the process  Cry (so be careful and wear gloves, folks!).
I now have a bulletin board to put all those fabulous marble and clothespins magnets!!!
I may eventually paint the icky gold frame, but I have to recover from my wounds first!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004 10:25:45 AM by firehead4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
Lenae
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004 01:12:39 PM »

That looks so neat!  Now I want to find a cool thrift store frame to make one with.

Sorry about your cut.Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Button
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004 02:30:09 PM »

I like this idea. it looks a lot cooler than a regular cork board.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thequeenjane
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004 02:38:43 PM »

I made one like this a couple of years ago to display all of my magnets.  But what I did was just take a piece of galvanized sheet metal (I love the swirly look of it), and drilled two holes in the top, and went to the hardware store and bought a funky looking chain to hand it with.  The whole thing cost me like 2.50$ Canadian to make.
Here's a pic. (hopefully....not quite sure what I'm doing...)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thequeenjane
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004 02:39:25 PM »

Ok, the picture didn't work.  How do you post a pic then?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
completelyobsessed
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004 03:44:00 PM »

I love the your board!  That is so cool!  I have been scheming about making something like this for my room, not I want to even more!  And I like the gold, it looks like a fancy art museum frame.  But that's just me:)  Nice job!

thequeenjane, here are instructions about hosting pictures (copied and pasted from the FAQ section).  Hope it works for you.

I'd like to post a project of my own but I don't have a website to host the pictures (or I just don't want to host them on my website), what can I do?

If you don't want to host your project pictures on your own site and don't want to sign up for a free website to host them on, you can email me at picturehosting@Craftster.org and I'll set you up with your own folder on Craftster.org. Be sure to include your user name in the email so I can create a unique directory for you and then I'll send you a link to the upload area.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004 11:50:23 AM »

i was thinking about doing something similar to that. i think to make it personal i would spray paint both the frame and the sheet of metal. i like the idea of galvanized metal too, like thequeenjane said.
still very chic tho.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004 05:53:03 PM »

I made something similar for my kids... I took a whole sheet of metal and used thin plastic edging to cover the sharp edges. I bought a mud pan - drywall sectoin, and drilled holes in it to attach it to the wall.

One of my friends and I are talking about covering an entire wall in sheet metal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
sheeshoo
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2004 12:38:36 PM »

I spray painted a round cookie tin lid to use as a magnet board. I got it for Christmas last year - has those nasty sugar cookies in it.

I've also seen old cookie sheets spray painted and used as great magnet boards. This is great if you have one that has lost it's non-stick. Also you can find cookie sheets cheap at Goodwill and garage sales.

Bonus - if you paint the cookie sheet with blackboard paint you can use it to write messages on in chalk and use your magnets on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitchqueen

Bury me with my yarn stash!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2004 08:15:06 PM »

How about stenciling a design on the metal with craft paint, maybe a sutle floral border top and bottom?  What a great way to display the magnets!  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
My Top 3 Websites for Chic, Cheap Accessories
How To Create A Smokey Eye
How to Get a Shimmery Bronze Makeup Look
6 Must-Know Makeup Trends and Tips For Spring
How to Do Eye Makeup for a Night Out
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...