A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Merry Merry Mini Tip Top Doll Ornaments!  (Read 3005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 26, 2007 01:01:49 PM »

Merry Merry Merry!  Tis the season, so I've been whipping up a storm of happy little Tip Top Dolls, perfect for the tree and beyond.  These little guys are 4-6" tall, mostly in the 4.5" zone, and are so delightful to hang on the tree.  They are gently polyfill stuffed, so they are SO light and hang gracefully on the tree; they don't drag the branches down like some of their chubby storebought friends. Wink

I really am digging them, and could fill a whole tree with them, like this:

though it really does need some variety and garlands, of course.

I've been making them in pairs (so they won't be lonely in their new homes), and each set is different.  So fun!  Here are a few more of them:

I also made a batch of 48 USA/Americana/Patriotic/Red-white-blue ones for a friend in Wyoming.

Too fun!

My friend Kristie suggested making a tree topper; but I have to figure out the best way to do so... ideas?

Merry Merry Crafting to one and all!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007 08:01:56 PM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

R3n331
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007 01:09:56 PM »

rofl those are sooooooooooooo
ADORABLE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 01:11:30 PM »

Thanks!  I forgot to mention that I made some DUDES too... they are hiding.  Just look for the giant black moustache...cause, you know, all dudes have a giant 'stache! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007 01:23:23 PM »

I think I like them best as ornaments!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007 01:24:50 PM »

I love them -- they are so cute and perky.  Perfect for Christmas.

My friend Kristie suggested making a tree topper; but I have to figure out the best way to do so... ideas?

Since that's me, I'll let you know what I was imagining.  It seems that there are two common ways to attach tree-top ornaments -- a cone or a tube.  It's my experience that tubes are more stable. 

What if you took some sort of cardboard (like a paper towel roll) or plastic tube and then crafted a bottom for the topper around it -- it would be basically the shape of a Tip Top from the neck down.  You could shape it like the bottom of your dolls, only with a hole in the center (I would do this bottom in two pieces, either right and left or front and back, and seam them), and you could glue the edges of the hole to the tube -- inside the tube, to hide the ugly tube edge.  You'd have to figure out how to cut the bottom so that you'd have plenty of extra fabric to glue up inside the tube.    Gluing to secure the tube edge would also anchor it, so that you could stuff it from the top without the tube slipping out.  It might also be a good idea to cover the top end of the tube with something (maybe duct tape?) so that the top of the tree didn't poke into the doll's head and pull stuffing out.

I have some kind of crazy fabric glue that's super strong and bonds almost instantly.  I can check the brand name at home.

And they'd need crazy funky angel wings, of course.  And maybe a bell at the tip of their hats.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007 01:26:00 PM »

I think I like them best as ornaments!!

Thanks!  Their little elf-like hats lend well to the holiday.  I like making them in neutral (all red, or whimiscal patterns and colors) schemes too, so you could hang them on a rearview mirror, backpack, or any little hook around the house for year-round fun! Cheesy  I think the all-green ones would be adorable for a St. Patty's tree!

I plan to make a bunch more in wildly colorful combinations, so they can be for fun everyday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007 02:20:49 PM »

I love them -- they are so cute and perky.  Perfect for Christmas.

Since that's me, I'll let you know what I was imagining.  It seems that there are two common ways to attach tree-top ornaments -- a cone or a tube.  It's my experience that tubes are more stable. 

What if you took some sort of cardboard (like a paper towel roll) or plastic tube and then crafted a bottom for the topper around it -- it would be basically the shape of a Tip Top from the neck down.  You could shape it like the bottom of your dolls, only with a hole in the center (I would do this bottom in two pieces, either right and left or front and back, and seam them), and you could glue the edges of the hole to the tube -- inside the tube, to hide the ugly tube edge.  You'd have to figure out how to cut the bottom so that you'd have plenty of extra fabric to glue up inside the tube.    Gluing to secure the tube edge would also anchor it, so that you could stuff it from the top without the tube slipping out.  It might also be a good idea to cover the top end of the tube with something (maybe duct tape?) so that the top of the tree didn't poke into the doll's head and pull stuffing out.

I have some kind of crazy fabric glue that's super strong and bonds almost instantly.  I can check the brand name at home.

And they'd need crazy funky angel wings, of course.  And maybe a bell at the tip of their hats.  Smiley

Ooh, I missed this earlier.  This sounds good.  Id' thought about a tubelike hole...but the TP roll sounds like a great way to keep it's shape!  I may use wire to form the wings, or even play with pipe cleaners, stitched in lining of thin fabric?  It sounds like a fun idea!

Thanks for the input, Kat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007 07:37:47 PM »

Here are the last members of the team for the day:

I actually let my Daughter hold a few (she kept BEGGING) me:

it's a good pic 'cause it shows the scale of them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007 07:45:54 PM »

Gosh, your little dolls are adorable! Do you freehand their faces? So sweet.
And your daughter is precious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007 08:01:36 PM »

Gosh, your little dolls are adorable! Do you freehand their faces? So sweet.
And your daughter is precious!

Thanks! Cheesy  The faces are drawn with fabric markers, sharpies, colored pencils, etc. on sailcloth and then used for my OOAK art dolls that are much bigger.  These are the scans of those drawings and faces, and then I print them and transfer them to the fabric.  The drawings themselves take too long to do individually for these wee ones, I would have to charge triple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera Review
How to Enhance Photos using the Epson Artisan 810 Printer
Digital Photography Tips
How to Use Reflectors
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...