A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Darth Vader amigurumi [EDIT: Now with SUPER long and SUPER lame pattern on p3!]  (Read 13356 times)
Tags for this thread: star_wars , pattern , tutorial , darth_vader  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

whisp3rd
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007 05:33:40 PM »

The details on him are fantastic!

My boyfriend's like "Why don't you make me anything like that?"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mplsdeanna
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007 08:19:27 PM »

Wow, thank you so much, everybody! I am completely motivated to write up the pattern, no matter how crappily I manage to explain those shoulders! I think I'll be able to do it this weekend. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
her
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2007 06:13:09 AM »

I am an avid fan of all of your Star Wars characters! Great job! I eagerly await patterns!! And I'm clicking this ROCKS! Click!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2007 07:59:57 AM »

He looks really good - you did a great job on him! The detail on the face is perfect, & I'm very impresed with the helmet. Surely you're joking when you say you can't do popcorn stitch?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanzie
I've got love for the chat hoes...anyone else need not apply!

"Ich warte auf dich-am Ende der nacht"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007 08:16:39 AM »

this is really,REALLY good!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a burning image in her mind and between her thighs...

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND TAKE YOUR CRAFT SUPPLIES!DON'T #$%@ WITH ME!

half moon shawl crochetalong...
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=235034.0

stalk me....
http://www.wists.com/Tanzie
mplsdeanna
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2007 02:22:45 PM »

Thank you!

Angry Angel, I am totally serious about the popcorn stitch. I've watched a really good tutorial about it online several times ... and I totally end up in knots. I can never get a magic ring to work, either -- so I start with a chain and always end up with a bald spot on top or on the bottom of whatever I'm working on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nimoy
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007 05:45:20 PM »

Woh....truly awesome work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007 07:22:05 PM »

Wow...awesome! I have a friend who would love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
mplsdeanna
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2007 08:52:49 PM »

Whos ready for a voyage into Untested Pattern Land? Ive opened a bottle of wine and found my notes, and Im eager to try to get this down. Its my very first time writing down a pattern, so please bear with me. This is my basic pattern for figures, how I have made almost every member of my Star Wars family, mostly by varying the colors to make the clothes (black boots and navy pants for Han, gold Glitterspun yarn for C-3PO, etc). Add some embroidery or other details, and youre set.

Im not entirely sure I have these stitch counts right. If it starts to feel wrong, go with your gut. If anyone has any advice at all on writing up patterns, I would LOVE to hear it!

FOOT/LEG

Make two of these:

If you can do the magic loop thing, then rock on! I cant, so I start by chaining 3, slip stitching into the first stitch, and then using that little ring Ive just made as my not-so-magic loop. Also, I work in spirals because I can never join a round without it looking stupid. So do it however you like.

1: 6 sc into the loop (total: 6 stitches)
2: 2 sc into each of the 6sc (total: 12 stitches)
3: [1 sc into the 1st sc, 2 sc into the next sc] x 6 (total: 18 stitches)
4: Work 18 sc
5: [2sc dec] x 2, 1sc into each of the next 15 sc
6: [2sc dec] x 2, 1sc into each of the next 13 sc.
7: [2sc dec] x 2, 1sc into each of the next 11 sc
8 - 15: Work 13 sc. (more for taller guys, like Chewbacca)

If youre going to change color for boots, this is a good time to do it. I always switch at the back of the leg so its less noticeable. So change colors, then make another 10 rounds for the thigh. Leave a long enough tail so that you can sew the leg onto the body. Stuff.

HAND/ARM

Make two of these:

Chain 3 and join into a ring, or use a magic ring.
2: 2 sc into each of the next 6 sc (total: 12 stitches)
3: Work 12 sc
4: [2sc dec] x 6 (total: 6 stitches)
5: Work 6 sc

If youre going to change color from skin to clothing, this is a good time to do it. Then make another 8 rounds for the arm. Maybe one or two more for Chewbacca. Leave a long enough tail so that you can sew the arm onto the body. Stuff.

HEAD/SHOULDERS/TORSO

Chain 3 or make the ring.

2: 2 sc into each of 6 sc (total: 12 stitches)
3: [1 sc into the 1st sc, 2 sc into the next sc] x 6 (total: 18 stitches)
4: Work 18sc
5: Work 18 sc
6: Work 18 sc
7: [2 sc dec, 5 sc] x 3 (total: 15 stitches)
8: [2 sc dec, 2 sc] x 6 (total: 12 stitches)
9: [2 sc dec] x 6 (total: 6 stitches)
10: Work 6 sc
11: 2 sc into each of 6 sc (total: 12 stitches)

Now heres where you have to endure my inability to figure out exactly what I did. The head needs to be bigger than the body, but if we increase evenly around the shoulders/torso, then were going to end up with sort of tubular-looking figure. Imagine a ping-pong ball for a head, and a cardboard tube for the body. I love tubular as much as the next person, but lets try to give this figure shoulders. This means we only increase at the sides. See how Han Solo below has shoulders:

I usually figure that I end a round at the back of the figure, which means Im working across the figures back from left side to right side, then from right to left across the front, and then across the back again. (Imagine the figure lying down on the table in front of you, face up. You are lined up to look at the top of the figures head. I work counter-clockwise from that view.) So to get us around to the first shoulder area (the right shoulder), we need to make 2 sc.

Now 2 sc into each of the next 2 sc. This is the beginning of the right shoulder area.
Now work 4 sc. This takes you across the front of the chest and over to the figures left shoulder area.
Now 2 sc into each of the next 2 sc. This is the beginning of the left shoulder area.
Now work 6 sc. This will get you across the back and at the right shoulder area again.
2 sc into each of the next 2 sc. If my counting is right (dear God, please let it be right, amen), we are now increasing into the stitches that we had increased in the last round, making the shoulders spread out.

Okay, my notes stopped making sense right here, but can you see how it is? Work sc into sc all across the front at the back, and when you reach the sides (where youve increased the previous round), you sort of figure out the two stitches that are on the outermost edges, and make 2 sc into each of those.

I think I only did this for three full rounds. Once youre happy with the broadness of the shoulders, stuff the head, and then just work sc into sc for the length of the torso, or about 17 rounds. Chewbacca is going to be taller, so another round or two for him. Leave a long tail. Stuff and sew shut at the bottom.

NOTE: One thing you might notice is that the figure seems a little barrel-chested. Eventually I decided to do one decrease on the front of the chest (think sternum) and one decrease on the back (think spine) in the round right after I finished broadening the shoulders. You might want to try that.

Holy crap! Thats it! Sew it all together and add some details like hair, face, belt, etc. Darth Vaders details include a small square on the front with some colored lines, and a belt (which was just a long chain, then scd into each loop) with some colored lines.

DARTH VADERS HELMET:
This I did NOT work in spirals. I tried, but then it turns out all lopsided. So for this, slip stitch to join the rounds. (Again Im just not positive Ive got the stitches counted correctly. If it seems wrong, it most assuredly is.)

Chain 3
1: 6 sc
2: 2 sc into each of 6 sc (total: 12 stitches), sl st to join
3: [1 sc into the 1st sc, 2 sc into the next sc] x 6 (total: 18 stitches), sl st to join
4: Work 18 sc, sl st to join

So far weve made the top of the helmet. Now we need the back part that flares out.

5: Work 10 sc, ch 1, turn (this is not a round; now youre working in rows)
6: [2 sc into first sc, then 1 sc into next sc] x 5. (total: 15 stitches) (This row makes it fan out.)
7: [1 sc into next sc, then 2 sc into next sc] x 10 (total 20 stitches). Ch 1, turn.
8: Work 20 sc.

Sc around the entire thing. Try it on your Vaders head. If you like it, sew it on. If you dont, try putting a little bit of stuffing or yarn between Vaders head and the helmet. I found that helpful. If you totally hate the helmet, try to figure out where I led you astray, and adapt the pattern accordingly. Its pretty easy to remake the helmet, and thats the coolest part of the figure, so you want it to turn out well.

DARTH VADERS CAPE:

This was totally trial-and-error-and-rip-it-out-and-try-again. See how his cape is attached around the back and sides of the neck, but then sort of sweeps back to follow the shoulders and reveal the chest panel.

I wish I could find a simple way to do this, but crochet (at least row after row of sc) doesnt drape very well. So start with a chain that fits around the side, back, and side of his neck, and then start increasing as needed. Once you get down past the belt or so, though, its just straight working sc into sc.

Again, Id really like to hear your advice. And if you end up making one, please post! Id LOVE to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yellowsky
yellowsky

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007 06:10:18 AM »

love this, i do

alot.
this is awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Claire Tomalin Talks About Her Work on Charles Dickens
Gavin Pretor-Pinney Talks Clouds at Althorp Literary Festival
What Makes Althorp Literary Festival So Different?
Dr Kate Williams Talks About Queen Elizabeth II at Althorp Festival
The Age of Miracles Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...