A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,193
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabled hand bag (pattern on page 2)  (Read 2319 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007 12:22:13 PM »

ooooh!!  I really like it.  I love the look of those really big cables.  I'd also love a pattern if you wouldn't mind posting it.  Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
woohag
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007 08:20:51 PM »

Thirding the request for a pattern...I love this, the chunky cables are just my speed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007 08:21:08 PM by woohag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://whittsknits.blogspot.com

I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might wanna turn your head.  ~Ani Difranco
i am not creative
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007 10:02:34 AM »

Thanks everyone! Sorry it took me so long to post the pattern. My friend wanted to make one too, so I'm just posting the e-mail I sent her about how I made it:

OK, so:
Size 13 needles
Gauge: 10 sts/14 rows = 4"
Yarn: Lion Brand wool-ease thick and quick. You'll need a bit more than one skein.

CO 37 sts
Knit rows will always be even rows
"Cable" means: sl 4 sts on cable needle and place to the back, K next 4 sts, replace sts from cable needle back on main needle and K

Row 1, 3, 5: K1, *P8, K1, repeat from * 3 more times
Row 2, 4: P1, *K8, P1, repeat from * 3 more times
Row 6: P1, cable, P1, K8, P1, cable, P1, K8, P1
Row 7, 9, 11: K1, *P8, K1, repeat from * 3 more times
Row 8, 10: P1, *K8, P1, repeat from * 3 more times
Row 12: P1, K8, P1, cable, P1, K8, P1, cable, P1

Repeat rows 1 to 12 until work measures about 16 inches (or just fold it in half and see if that's how deep you want it to be). Just be sure to have completed a cable row and then six more rows before you bind off so that each side matches when it's folded up. Either bind off on the sixth row or 12th row. I don't know how you'll want to do it, but after the initial 12 rows, I just counted six rows and was sure to cable alternate sets each time -- less counting that way! Smiley

Fold RS together and seam sides using mattress stitch (if you don't know how to do this, there is an explanation in the stitch and bitch book or any other knitting book or online, of course). You'll be stitch through that extra purl row on each side
To attach the handles, count in four rows (so you're starting halfway through the first cable set) and loop around one handle using whip stitch through the center of each stitch right below the bound off row -- you can either just do that or you can go through each stitch and between each row, whatever works for you. Be sure to pull the yarn fairly tight. Then do the other side.
To make the lining, use a tape measure to go around the inside, so make one loop around the top on the inside to see how wide to make it (try to hold the tape against the inside as much as you can without stretching the bag) and then through the bottom to see how long to make it. Cut that amount of the fabric of your choice, being sure to leave about half an inch on each side and about an inch on the top for a seam allowance. Hem the top, then with right sides together, seam the sides. Then just stuff it inside the bag and hand sew it to the bag -- I stitched mine to the whip stitching around the handle, then just as inconspicuously as possible around the exposed parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
i am not creative
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007 10:03:12 AM »

Of course if you have any questions please PM me or post in this thread!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007 12:17:26 PM »

That's very cute! Thanks for the patt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
woohag
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007 07:36:02 PM »

THANKS for the pattern, I'm psyched!  Just a thought: change the Title of the post to include "now with pattern on page 2".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://whittsknits.blogspot.com

I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might wanna turn your head.  ~Ani Difranco
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Tankini
How to Choose the Correct Swimsuit Size
How to Choose a One-Piece Swimsuit
How to Choose a Monokini
How to Choose a Micro Bikini
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...