A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,553
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! How much Essential Oil do I need to buy?  (Read 579 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tivaclare
« on: November 25, 2007 08:44:52 AM »

Totally new to this, so I need a few pointers. I'm really interested in getting in to making my own beauty products, but for the time being I only want to make some bath salts for Christmas gifts. I'm too broke and have too much going on to jump all in right now.

I plan on using the Epsom salt, essential oil, food coloring recipe. I plan making enough to fill baby food jars, possibly up to 6 of each scent.

I want to at least make a candy cane one, and lavender/rosemary. (so at least 12 total)

I don't have a lot to spend, so I don't want to buy too much more oil that what I really need at the moment. I was looking at thesage.com and they sell 5ml samples and 1oz bottles at their smallest sizes.

Any recommendations?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007 02:25:21 PM »

buy the 1 oz size, the 5 mL is WAY too small

and i would go with .5 mL per 8 0z of finished salt recipe for the candy cane salts
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
tivaclare
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007 03:27:46 PM »

Thanks! I have absolutely no concept of how much 1 oz of oil equates to yet.

Enjoy your trip to Disney!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007 03:44:38 PM »

i will, thanks so much

what it *equates to* im not entirely sure of either...but you can google it (i would, but im being yelled at to *hurry up* lol)

i do know how long 1 oz lasts me, which is about 2 months, and i use my peppermint oil alot, in .5 mL uses almost exclusively...

each person uses different strengths though, and you will find the amount that works for you the best, i find that strong peppermint scents work the best for me, but you might like it lighter scented....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
My House Boutique

"Where Life is Handmade and Heart-Loved."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007 10:08:04 PM »

www.thesage.com has a great calculator that will help you determine how much of everything you will need...good luck!  i made castile soap once before and put what i thought was a lot of oil in only for it to cure and have little to no smell a month later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007 10:11:06 PM »

www.thesage.com has a great calculator that will help you determine how much of everything you will need...good luck!  i made castile soap once before and put what i thought was a lot of oil in only for it to cure and have little to no smell a month later.

soaps, and salts and such work differently....

but i do recommend learning off the calculator if you are using THEIR fragrances...after you get used to using EOs/FOs you can determine how much to put in pretty well
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Urthshaper
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007 11:36:44 AM »

Just to give you an idea, 1mL is usually one drop out of an eyedropper.  Those samples would be just enough to give you an idea of what the smell is like.  I would suggest between 10-20 drops to start with per jar, depending on how strong you like stuff.  The oils you mentioned tend to be quite potent, so they're a good bang for the buck.  One ounce of each of those oils should be enough to get you started.  (Those guys do have good prices, btw.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Snooki Hair
How to Get Lauren Conrad Hair
How to Get the Half-Up Half-Down Look
How to Get Selena Gomez Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Selena Gomez Hair Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...