A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,313
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where is your everyday-place to find free stuff?  (Read 10488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008 06:24:25 AM »

www.freecycle.com  and craigslist are 2  of my favs.  you can check teh offered up stuff or  post a wanted   either way you can get tons of stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Supercrafter
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008 12:33:25 PM »

i usually use the paint sample papers for scrapbooking and other paper crafts.
also most construction places will let you have pieces of wood, tile, sheetrock, or whatever else.
dumpsters in the alley are also great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
becauseimtrendy
Because I'm Trendy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008 03:01:02 PM »

http://www.freestorebaltimore.org
Free stores are where it's at. the link I posted is one for Baltimore, but I'm sure there are similar ones in other cities as well.
I also get tons of awesome stuff from the salvation army dumpster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not so bad bein' trendy...
lemonader
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008 04:41:53 PM »

I live in a high-rise building, and people just put stuff down in the garbage room or outside by the dumpsters that they don't want anymore. I've gotten some great stuff... I refinish furniture, and people put old solid wood furniture down there that's scratched up or stained (all stuff I can fix with a bit of work) so it's a goldmine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonader
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008 04:48:40 PM »

Oh - and I used to work in a mall. The back hallways where people put out their garbage is an even bigger goldmine than the garbage room in my building. Some stuff I've found there:

-Old displays including gift boxes and pictures
-fake flowers from window displays
-Swarovski gift boxes (there were two giant packs of perfectly good gift boxes that they threw out... must have just been getting rid of old stock)
-mannequin torsos
-lots of cardboard boxes (handy if you're moving)

Working in a mall is a great place to find free stuff in general. I used to take home lots of half-empty testers from the store I worked at (bath and body store), gift boxes (after Christmas we were welcome to take home what was left because they'd change the style next year anyway), empty jars, you name it. Also, we made friends with the girls at Godiva, and they'd bring us free chocolate strawberries every night because they wouldn't keep until the next day.

So if you work in a mall or know someone who does (generally you shouldn't lurk in the back hallways of a mall if you have no right to be there, you're often caught on camera or by security), get looking! Major retailers throw SO much away, and most of it's perfectly good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SadnessOfRain
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008 05:11:16 AM »

-School. My classroom is in the DT block so we can pick up all the leftover scraps of material, wire and stuff like that from the GCSE/A-level projects, and we get free food from the Food Tech students...
-Hotels. My dad goes on a lot of business trips and always brings back the free toiletries and sewing kits
-The train station - sometimes I get the old billboard posters when they're putting new ones up. (not the huge billboard posters, the smaller ones which are about the size of two sheets of A3 paper)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tastethesky7

Somebody's watchin' me...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008 04:20:58 AM »

Along the lines of home improvement stores, I used to pick up all different colors of paint chips.  Depending on the company, you can cut them apart if you just need small bits of paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If we do not find pleasant things, we shall at least find new things.
Cacambo, from Candide
aytchjay
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008 07:41:00 PM »

I work in a small department within a large research (university) library. We get tons of donations-- we collect rare books, manuscripts, artifacts, photographs, etc... And regardless of what condition they're in, the materials in which the documents are housed get thrown away, because we have to move them into our own storage that is better for their preservation.

I take brand-new binders out of the trash pile all the time-- I'm more than stocked up for classes, and I give some to friends (especially one in graphic design who needs binders for her projects). I've also gotten cases-- including one for slides that holds my thread spools fantastically-- and good/great quality wooden crates, metal cases, picture frames, index card cases, plastic storage bins... One time I even got a yard of vintage circus-print fabric! It's amazing. I have no idea why it was stuffed in with the donations, but fellow employees know me well enough to set this kind of stuff aside for me. It's fantastic.

Also, more obviously, dumpsters outside dormitories on move-out days. It's amazing what people will throw out just to shorten their moving process.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
your.bestnightmare
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008 09:05:34 AM »

-Grandma's house. She's a junk collector.
-Its not FREE..but i have a local thriftstore that has a TON of crafting supplies. They have so many that they are super cheap. Most of them are vintage too.
-Free boxes at thrift stores and garage sales.
-Garbage day. (Although..I live in a small town..so theres not a lot of good stuff..)

Now Im off to see about this Freecycle deal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
MunLtStmpr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008 06:08:28 PM »

Not sure if this would work for everyone, but it would be worth trying.

I work at a college and the library offered to help me out with an upcoming event. They gave me 3 large boxes of dust covers from books.  Turns out they stock pile them for a while, then just throw them out.

The covers with all the text and images are great, but the other side of the covers are a nice white heavy paper.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Courtney Sheinmel Talks About Positively and My So-Called Family
Missing Max Book Trailer
The Deep Kiss of Winter Book Trailer
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...