A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,306
Currently Running With Scissors:
399 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bandanna book carrier  (Read 1134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2007 10:25:19 PM »

So. Being a Christian Scientist (we're the ones who heal through prayer), I carry pocket-sized copies of the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy in my purse for the same reason most people carry aspirin or whatever.

These tiny volumes survived WWII in my old Sunday School teacher's pocket, but after a couple of years in my purse, they're starting to get pretty dogeared and dinged-up. I'm not sure what that says about my purse, but in any case, I needed a way to protect my books from further damage, so while I was working on another project involving bandannas this evening, I decided to see if I could come up with a way to keep stray coins and keys and things from getting wedged between the pages and wrinkling them up.

This is what I came up with:

I'm posting a couple of views of how it folds up because I think the basic design (which is the result of trial and error and a lot of ironing) could be modified pretty easily to accommodate, say, the paperback you carry to work to read on your break or the bestseller that lives in your gym bag and keeps you from dying of ennui on the treadmill.

When it's all folded up, both books are completely swaddled in fabric. I used a piece of fusible webbing on the ribbon to keep it from slipping off and getting lost in my purse.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007 10:31:56 PM »

So. Being a Christian Scientist (we're the ones who heal through prayer), I carry pocket-sized copies of the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures by Mary Baker Eddy in my purse for the same reason most people carry aspirin or whatever.

Yay for Christians who can have their religion and their science go hand in hand!

This fabric is wonderful, and this idea is even better!  This will be perfect for my camera and batteries, once it's back from the shop... from damages incurred within my purse...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Redforkhippie
Red Fork Hippie Chick

Prone to creative outbursts.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 11:03:38 AM »

This fabric is wonderful, and this idea is even better!  This will be perfect for my camera and batteries, once it's back from the shop... from damages incurred within my purse...

Thanks. I wonder ... to protect your camera, could you fold a bandanna to make a double layer around the sides and then recon one of those cheap eyeglass cases to serve as padding? I don't know if this makes any sense, but I'm thinking you could split the eyeglass case in half and then tuck each piece in between the layers -- one on each side of the camera -- to add extra protection. You'd have to play around with the design and kind of fold and unfold and maybe trim down the pieces of the eyeglass case until you had something that fit around your camera. Might add a bit of Velcro to hold it all in place -- that would be faster than tying and untying a ribbon when you're trying to get a quick shot of something that's happening right this second.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We are all capable of more than we do."
-- Mary Baker Eddy

http://redforkhippie.wordpress.com
cknaus65

Sewing in the wind.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007 05:49:58 AM »

Thoes are very nice. That was a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Smashing Strawberry Biscuit Bites
How to Make Fruit Breakfast Muffins With Almonds
No-Churn Coconut Ice Cream
How to Make Soft Serve Ice Cream at Home
How To Make Raspberry Summer Pudding
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...