A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My name is Anna, and I failed at knitting my first sweater  (Read 1334 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cdngreenie
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007 09:27:03 AM »

no one said you needed to keep this albatross as it is...

frog and re-do it in something you'll wear.  You'll probably be happier for it, and you won't have something sitting at the bottom of your closet reminding you of all the mistakes you made on your first piece of seriously ambitious and large scale knitting.

Okay, I say that, but would I ever frog my first sweater?  probably not.  plus, it makes a perfect lounging-about-the-house piece of wooly warmth. we'll never go out in public - my sweater and me - unless it's -30 or it's campfire season (not to burn, just to stay warm and smoky) - but we make a good around-the-house team!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sleazy_e
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007 02:25:09 PM »

ha! LOVE the accompanying photograph.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nat12
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007 03:35:25 PM »

my first two tops were terrible! One was an enormous sack, the other would barely get over my head!  Then I made tubey, and a few other things from proper patterns... which allowed me to take elements from a few different patterns to make my own thing.
I whole-heartedly agree with those who've mentioned circular knitting - so much easier, and when you're done knitting, you only have to weave in a couple of ends - no real sewing/seaming!
Whats to stop you from just picking up stitches for the sleeve and doing it in the round? You can just frog the sleeve you've done and re-do it in the round too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bananna_AnnA
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007 07:09:44 PM »

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement.
Picking up and knitting the sleeves sounds like a great idea, but I would like to learn how to sew the seams. I wish I could just sew it up on my sewing machine, but that would probably look just as bad.

I don't think I'm going to frog it, I'll just move on with my life and start another sweater (perhaps a raglan sweater knit on circular needles :-)

Oh, and it looks like my photo got edited out, so hopefully I didn't offend anyone besides my sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripey_cat
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007 09:10:01 AM »

Can you find someone who's used to doing set-in sleeves to help?  I found that if you treat it like putting one into a dress it's not too bad.
K.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grammys Red-Carpet Style
Jessica Chastain Vs Anne Hathaway Style
Oscars Red Carpet Highlights
Fashion Week Round-Ups: SXSW Style Guide
Style Battle: Lady Gaga Vs Katy Perry
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...