A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My name is Anna, and I failed at knitting my first sweater  (Read 1322 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bananna_AnnA
« on: November 24, 2007 08:22:24 PM »

I just failed at knitting my first sweater, but here's what I learned in the process:

-Do not knit a first sweater (or any sweater) on teeny size 3 needles
-Do not knit a first sweater with expensive Rowan yarn
-You should choose a sweater you are really excited about
-You should get help when learning how to sew sleeve seams

I guess what's important, though is that I'm a way better knitter now because of the sweater, so oh well that it's unflattering, unfinished and has terrible sleeve seams. I plan on getting help at an LYS on how to put together the other sleeve, just so I know how to do it. I'm a little upset, but not bitter.

BUT we want to encourage people to try knitting sweaters, don't we? I know I'm going to try again. So I thought we could all share our tragedies so that anyone who is a little nervous about knitting anything other than a scarf can learn a thing or two...

<Edited by sweets4ever - possibly offensive jesture/photo>
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9642/failedsweaterby1.jpg
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007 03:32:15 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007 09:14:41 PM »

Oh Anna!  When I was looking at this, I didn't see the full photo, just the sweater and then I scrolled down!   Grin  You made me LOL. 

I suck at knitting too!  My goal is to ... knit a DISHCLOTH! 

Your actual knitting looks quite lovely, though.  Maybe you could felt it and make something cool with it afterward.  (Is Rowan yarn feltable?  I don't even know what that is)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
Tarewyn
The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience." Atticus Finch

Saving my sanity, one crafty day at a time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007 09:33:19 PM »

LOL!  I feel that way about my first still in progress sock in continental knitting.

Great photo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007 10:40:01 PM »

My first sweater was Stefanie Japel's Carie Cropped Cardigan and while it looked ... okay once I was done, it doesn't meet in the front.  Plus I now realize that bulky yarn + D cups + plunging neckline = something that can't really be worn in public.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Donnna
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007 11:11:32 PM »

Hey,your sweater its not that bad...I know,my seewing is
awful too,thats why I am trying to avoid it doing every-
thing circular...I think it can be saved,if it fits you well!!
You chose nice colours,I like it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdngreenie
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007 11:49:09 PM »

My first sweater was Stefanie Japel's Carie Cropped Cardigan and while it looked ... okay once I was done, it doesn't meet in the front.  Plus I now realize that bulky yarn + D cups + plunging neckline = something that can't really be worn in public.

hee hee hee!  Grin I second that!  thankfully I've yet to actually start a bulky-yarn plunging neckline project, but sometimes I REALLY have to think twice.  There are some delicious looking patterns out there...

patterns should come with a "do not make this for someone with a cup size over/under __" warning
THIS ROCKS   Logged

honeysuckle
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007 12:56:08 AM »

LOL, great pic!
I feel your sleeve pain. You finish everything, it looks great and then it's time to sew the sleeves in and it turns out to be the hardest fricking step.
My suggestion: Try a top down raglan sweater - no sleeve sewing, plus you can try it on as you knit, to figure out if it fits. There are some DPNs involved, but I find them a lot less frustrating than the dreaded sleeve seaming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... and then you're everybody's satellite

http://honeysuccle.blogspot.com/
colorlessblue
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007 04:19:00 AM »

patterns should come with a "do not make this for someone with a cup size over/under __" warning

my first contacts with knitting came from http://whatnottoknit.wordpress.com/  and  http://youknitwhat.blogspot.com/

now i'm forever stuck into the realm of that-may-look-good-on-the-pic-but-i-don't-have-a-model's-body and i'm-too-bulky-for-bulky-yarn, when deciding if i should try to make  something or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'd rather be a climbing ape than a falling angel."
Terry Pratchett
http://colorlessblue.blogspot.com/
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007 08:21:22 AM »

BUT we want to encourage people to try knitting sweaters, don't we? I know I'm going to try again. So I thought we could all share our tragedies so that anyone who is a little nervous about knitting anything other than a scarf can learn a thing or two...

My first sweater was a 2-color ski sweater for dh (worsted weight, probably size 7). The design was from a booklet of 1940's ski sweaters - DH picked out the one he wanted. I finished it but when he put it, the 1940's design looked too feminime and it looked like dh was wearing my sweater. Plus there were a few other, um, "structural" issues that I didn't like but dh didn't notice.

Sort of like your sweater - it was 'ok' but not good enough to wear.

What did I do?

I ripped out the ENTIRE sweater and started over. Finished that one too. Changed the design a little (a single band of design rather an allover design was the biggest change), improved the structural issues. And it would fit perfectly except that dh lost weight so it's a bit loose. Grin  Haven't decided if he's just going to wear it baggy or if I'm going to fix it. I want to finish a sweater for me first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nooneeversuspects
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007 09:07:54 AM »

Hi Anna!

Don't feel too bad. I have been knitting for about 4 1/2 years now and i still have yet to knit something other than a scarf or a hat or a purse that i love to wear. My sweater I am currently working on has been frogged three times already and is on its way to the frog pond yet again (4th times going to be the charm! Roll Eyes)

Sometimes i think its yarn karma... or luck. If you hate it even after you put on the other sleeve, just rip it and use the yarn for something different. Its the beauty of knitting, if it doesn't work out you can start over... and curse at it. Plus if you throw yarn/ projects at the wall they won't break and its very theraputic Wink

Good luck on your next project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Different Celebrity, Same Dress: Jessica Alba Vs. Lily Donaldson
DIY: Update a Black Blazer With Metallic Lapels
Style Portrait: Stylist Donald McFarlane
Style Portrait: Student Amanda Jane Givens
Style Portrait: Fashion Blogger Peony Lim
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...