i'd like to make some tshirts for xmas for friends and family but don't really know anything about stenciling so here's my questions.
1. is it a problem if i have plastic coated freezer paper?
2. what brand of paint do i use?
3. do i use half acrylic and half fabric or 3/4 to 1/4 or
4. do you dab or brush on the paint?
5. any special kind of applicator to use?
6. where else can i find stencils besides stencilry?
7. are finished tshirts washable and dryable or do i have to hand wash and line dry?
8. how do you know what part of the stencil to cut out?
9. when you iron the paint to set it do you have to use something to cover it up or can you iron directly on the paint?
thank you in advance for all of your advice!
1. If it's only plastic on one side and paper-y on the other, you're good to go.
2. Acrylic paints work the best for me. I don't think the brand matters much.
3. I use a little bit more textile medium than paint when I do mine, but you'll probably be better off finding a mixture that works for you.
4. I personally dab.
5. A sponge brush works pretty great.
6. There is a list of stencil websites in the FAQ thread in this board: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=154651.0
7. I wash mine in the washer/dryer, but usually only after I set the paint with an iron. I'm kind of an impatient craftster, but I think you'll probably want to set the paint for best results...
8. Check out that same thread I posted above; it or stencilry should have stenciling tutorials for you.
9. Um, I iron directly on the paint on a low setting, but I would recommend covering the paint with some piece of thin fabric...maybe someone else can answer this question a little better?
I hope this helps you out.