A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i've got a lovely bunch of crayons.  (Read 5035 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silverdust
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007 08:04:17 PM »

alot of people make crayons shavings they make good dyes for soaps and candles
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tickle_Me_Pink
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007 10:17:37 AM »

If you use a cheese grater, you can grate diferent colors that you like and look good together. Than take a piece of parchment paper, but the grated up pieces of crayon on the paper, but another piece of parchment paper on top, and than iron it. It melts together, than hardens, and it turns out great! Than you can make a card, cut out a shape, tape/glue the crayons paper behind it and you have this good shape thing. It's pretty cool looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
kleighcrafts
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008 04:36:21 PM »

this sounds really simple but it looks really cool

I have a humongous bucket of crayons and I took the wrapper off about 50 and break them in peices. Make sure you get many different colors otherwise it wont look as good. then you get a clear glass bottle and fill it with the crayons and set it on a shelf or desk. I think its a pretty cool decoration
Another thing i did (which was definatley on accident) was melt the crayons in a small muffin tin trying to make multi colored crayons but the ened up sticking to the tin so i bent it a little drilled a hole at the top and stuck it on the wall
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tero
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Craftito ergo sum...

Do your dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008 07:08:02 AM »

My favorite thing to do with old crayons is to melt them down in an old pot. I got one at the junk shop for under a dollar and it is my crayon melting pot. Smiley I put it on top of another pot with boiling water in it so I am melting them in a "sort of" double boiler. You want to make sure that you are melting like colors when doing this as they all run together pretty much anyway. Then I add a drop or two of scented oil depending on the color I am using. Lemon for yellow, rose for pinks and red and so on. Then you pour the melted wax into candy making molds. Wilton has stack o' candy molds for under 10 dollars now. You can layer the colors if you want or even just kind of spatter different colors in different molds until the molds are full. Then you just twist them and they crayons pop out. You can also do this with the cool flexible ice cube trays. Kid love them. They make great gifts. Fill a cool jar or container with them and then either you or your kiddies draw a few color pages to add to the gift and they are great for cousins and such a the holidays.
If you want to do a more refined mixed color crayon you can get old metal cookie cutters. Tightly wrap the sides and bottom in tin foil and stand broken crayons on their ends. Fill up the mold and put them on a cookie sheet and pop in the oven until they are all melted to one another. Smiley You can also make your own molds out of tin foil.
Add one or two of these big crayons to your other gift crayons and you have one little happy kido. Making their initials seems to be a big hit.

Have fun !!!

oohhh and you can use the wrappers to make your own paper. Smiley FUN
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008 07:09:14 AM by Tero » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100%. Horton
Pretty. Odd

Reality continues to ruin my life.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008 08:03:18 AM »

ummm i did this and it was just silly but it was a funny gift for my friend, i had a BUNCH of old crayons like from resturaunts and i melted them into what i call, Mumbo crayon. lol it was do funny! it could colour like half of a paper at a time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People who take time to be alone usually have depth, originality, and quiet reserve.

He's missing his liver. That's how some kids react to the cafeteria food. The lucky ones.
megziewoodles

Yes. I knitted a webcomic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008 11:37:29 PM »

Poke holes in them and make jewellery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008 08:39:03 PM »

When I was a kid I used to get in trouble for melting them in my hot glue gun.  I figure it probably wasn't all that safe, since I got into trouble, but I could make some cool designs before getting caught! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beltanecrazycat

Hello Kitty ROCKS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008 01:23:38 PM »

I make candles and actually use crayons for my colorants, believe it or not you get better more vibrant colors from crayons then you do with commercial candle colorant, the catch is that it doesn't work to well with cheap dollar store crayons, so if you decide to make candles i recomend crayola. you could melt them down for swirly crayons, i've been dying to do this one start to finish, with the cheap crayons you may need to do it on a double boiler, my husbands cousin turns 4 in couple days and i was wanting to do some swirly crayons for her
THIS ROCKS   Logged
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008 05:54:03 PM »

We used crayons to color the wax we used for dipping candles.  I forgot about that!  They turned out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
tojoyamoto
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008 03:04:22 AM »

When I make candles, I melt some shredded crayon of like colors with the wax and mix a little-- it makes a few swirls of color.  Too much crayon in the candle, and I think the candle smells bad when it burns.

Also, with just one crayon, fill in any scratches on your car with a crayon that matches your paint color, then wax.  It's amazing how well it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kathy Reichs and Linda Emond on "Bones Are Forever"
Rebecca Serle on "When You Were Mine"
Get Energized with Pete Cerqua
"Make Your Leadership Come Alive" Book Trailer
Author Wendy Lawless on Growing Up with Her Mother
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...