A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to knitting...and OBSESSED! (lots of pics!)  (Read 1808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PwrToolChick
« on: November 24, 2007 06:46:14 AM »

So, the end of September, I finished crocheting my baby girl's afghan (that I had started a year before).  I was so bored with it that it took me so long.

Then, a friend of mine sent me some knitted items.  Suddenly, I was ready to learn to knit.  I have always wanted to knit, but nothing really inspired me to learn.  I was ready.

In October, I bought my first set of needles, some cheap yarn, and Stitch 'N Bitch book.  That night, I knitted a swatch.

My very first official project.  A scarf.  It was wayyyyyy too wide for a scarf.  I don't really wear scarfs.  So, I left the yarn strands because I'm going to take it apart for something else (I'm thinking it will go towards a sweater for me). I love this yarn!

I still had the red yarn and decided to try a project that included purls.  So, here is a scarf I made with 2x2 rib stitch.  When it was finished, DS claimed it as his.  That was fine because it's a small-ish scarf.

Then...I had no other projects.  I just obsessively wanted to knit.  I had this absolutely beautiful yarn and cast on as many stitches as I could on my needle and went to town (learned later that probably wasn't a good idea...had to go get longer needles).  I had no idea what it would be in the end because I just wanted to knit.  Now, it's my very own knitting bag.

This is when my friend told me I was ready for a sweater.  While she was sending me a pattern for Baby - I got impatient and went to the book store. I found a master pattern book...bought some yarn on clearance and went at it.  I was halfway finished by the time the pattern got to me.  I really messed up on the guage (and many other things) but it was really my learning project.  So, I didn't mind.  It ended up fitting DS.

I started a sweater for oldest DD (13yo).  Not finished.  Ran out of yarn.

Then, I decided to go ahead and give double-pionted needles a try.

Here was my first project with dp:

That worked out so well that I went ahead and added yet another needle and tried making this little toboggan hat thingy to see if I could do it.  I was sooooo excited when it was really looking right!  And look at how cute the model is!!!

I have since finished a new cardigan for Baby that actually fits her this time.  I'm just so obsessed, I dream about knitting!!

My next adventure will actually be a sewing project.  Need to get these needles and knitting supplies organized!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RadioactvUnicorn
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007 07:57:53 AM »

Wow, good for you!  All your projects are wonderful!  You should print that out and make yourself a little "knitting storybook" or something. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberry
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007 08:52:00 AM »

Whoa! I especially like the dpns making you a glove. That's so clever.

The sweater is really cute on your DS. Wow, at gauge issues.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
harryjohnpursey
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007 05:27:36 PM »

I want to go finish my crappy scarf of doom. I am all inspired now, fab knit story Smiley

cute kids too lol. My nephew and nieces need scarves.... garter stitch scarves....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrittaKnitta
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007 08:25:42 PM »

Wow, you've been busy! Smiley  Glad you've been bit by the kniting bug.
Your DS is adorable, btw.

Love the fingerless gloves!  I just made one today, too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PwrToolChick
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007 01:56:28 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I never expected to become so obsessed and addicted.  As soon as I finish one project, I start twitching while going through withdrawals.  LOL 

MUST KNIT!!!

It is fun trying new things.  There are so many different things that can be done with knitting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

multicrafty
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007 03:20:44 PM »

My goodness!  You really took onto it!  I'm impressed too that you've already completed a sweater. Which looks absolutely adorable and cuddly on your ds.  Everything looks wonderful! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady_cyanide
too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007 03:51:50 PM »

keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007 07:12:52 PM »

great job!

I am the same way, I can't knit fast enough

*giggles*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
PwrToolChick
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007 07:29:04 PM »

Is it bad that I just want to knit?  I have projects that need sewing or need yarn woven in...just set those aside so I can get back to knitting.  LOL

I did take to it easily.  I have been crocheting pretty much since I could hold a crochet hook. I've been sewing pretty much since I could plug in a sewing machine.  I'm certain that I was doing some kind of craft in mom's womb.....

So, this kinda came pretty naturally to me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chef Serves Next Level of Local Food
7 Delicious, Unique Waffle Recipes
Homemade Ketchup Recipe
Dorie Greenspan: Serving Innovation
Richard Blais: Serving Innovation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...