A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 303,214
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to knitting...and OBSESSED! (lots of pics!)  (Read 1985 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: November 24, 2007 06:46:14 AM »

So, the end of September, I finished crocheting my baby girl's afghan (that I had started a year before).  I was so bored with it that it took me so long.

Then, a friend of mine sent me some knitted items.  Suddenly, I was ready to learn to knit.  I have always wanted to knit, but nothing really inspired me to learn.  I was ready.

In October, I bought my first set of needles, some cheap yarn, and Stitch 'N Bitch book.  That night, I knitted a swatch.

My very first official project.  A scarf.  It was wayyyyyy too wide for a scarf.  I don't really wear scarfs.  So, I left the yarn strands because I'm going to take it apart for something else (I'm thinking it will go towards a sweater for me). I love this yarn!

I still had the red yarn and decided to try a project that included purls.  So, here is a scarf I made with 2x2 rib stitch.  When it was finished, DS claimed it as his.  That was fine because it's a small-ish scarf.

Then...I had no other projects.  I just obsessively wanted to knit.  I had this absolutely beautiful yarn and cast on as many stitches as I could on my needle and went to town (learned later that probably wasn't a good idea...had to go get longer needles).  I had no idea what it would be in the end because I just wanted to knit.  Now, it's my very own knitting bag.

This is when my friend told me I was ready for a sweater.  While she was sending me a pattern for Baby - I got impatient and went to the book store. I found a master pattern book...bought some yarn on clearance and went at it.  I was halfway finished by the time the pattern got to me.  I really messed up on the guage (and many other things) but it was really my learning project.  So, I didn't mind.  It ended up fitting DS.

I started a sweater for oldest DD (13yo).  Not finished.  Ran out of yarn.

Then, I decided to go ahead and give double-pionted needles a try.

Here was my first project with dp:

That worked out so well that I went ahead and added yet another needle and tried making this little toboggan hat thingy to see if I could do it.  I was sooooo excited when it was really looking right!  And look at how cute the model is!!!

I have since finished a new cardigan for Baby that actually fits her this time.  I'm just so obsessed, I dream about knitting!!

My next adventure will actually be a sewing project.  Need to get these needles and knitting supplies organized!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007 07:57:53 AM »

Wow, good for you!  All your projects are wonderful!  You should print that out and make yourself a little "knitting storybook" or something. Cheesy

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007 08:52:00 AM »

Whoa! I especially like the dpns making you a glove. That's so clever.

The sweater is really cute on your DS. Wow, at gauge issues.  Cheesy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007 05:27:36 PM »

I want to go finish my crappy scarf of doom. I am all inspired now, fab knit story Smiley

cute kids too lol. My nephew and nieces need scarves.... garter stitch scarves....

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007 08:25:42 PM »

Wow, you've been busy! Smiley  Glad you've been bit by the kniting bug.
Your DS is adorable, btw.

Love the fingerless gloves!  I just made one today, too! Smiley
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007 01:56:28 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I never expected to become so obsessed and addicted.  As soon as I finish one project, I start twitching while going through withdrawals.  LOL 

It is fun trying new things.  There are so many different things that can be done with knitting!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007 03:20:44 PM »

My goodness!  You really took onto it!  I'm impressed too that you've already completed a sweater. Which looks absolutely adorable and cuddly on your ds.  Everything looks wonderful! 

too weird to live, too rare to die.

hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name <3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007 03:51:50 PM »

keep up the good work!

a pile of shit has a thousand eyes.
☺B U L L Y☺

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007 07:12:52 PM »

great job!

I am the same way, I can't knit fast enough

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007 07:29:04 PM »

Is it bad that I just want to knit?  I have projects that need sewing or need yarn woven in...just set those aside so I can get back to knitting.  LOL

I did take to it easily.  I have been crocheting pretty much since I could hold a crochet hook. I've been sewing pretty much since I could plug in a sewing machine.  I'm certain that I was doing some kind of craft in mom's womb.....

So, this kinda came pretty naturally to me....

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Tech Reviews
How to Write a Limerick
How to Write a Sonnet
Peter Ames Carlin on Narrator Bobby Cannavale
Peter Ames Carlin on His Audiobook Bruce
Latest Blog Articles
Ghosts and Graveyards
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...