A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Draft dodgers  (Read 1039 times)
Tags for this thread: draft_dodger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ashling
« on: November 23, 2007 11:01:49 PM »

Is it possible to make a vertical draft dodger?  My front door has a terrible seal where the latch and deadbolt are, and it lets in a lot of cold air.  Can I do anything about this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007 12:37:46 AM »

Is it possible to make a vertical draft dodger?  My front door has a terrible seal where the latch and deadbolt are, and it lets in a lot of cold air.  Can I do anything about this?

Is it a metal door or frame?  If so, make something magnetic and just stick it over the region.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Ashling
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007 09:28:35 AM »

Well, the lock is metal, maybe that would be enough.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007 02:07:58 PM »

Well, what about applying a small, strong magnet or piece of metal to the top and the bottom, then making a draft dodger with small magnets to attach to those points?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007 02:16:34 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean.  I have complained to my apartment about the sunlight and porch light I see coming through the vertical crack and bottom of my front door.  They seem not to care.  I made a draft dodger for the bottom of the door and it works quite well (filled with cheap clay kitty litter).  I think if you get something thin and fairly flat, maybe a flattened rectangle shape, heavy enough to press against the door, then find a way to attach it... maybe put something in the door frame near the top and let it hang over the crack?? 

It may be easier just for you to open your door for 30 mins (it'll be cold, yes) and put some new weatherstripping in there.  You can buy the foam sticky stuff for about $10 at Walmart and Target.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Ashling
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007 10:34:30 AM »

We had the light coming in too, but my husband tightened the screws on whatever-it's called that is attached to the frame that catches the latch on the door.  That seemed to help, though now we need to slam the door to make it close all the way.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spurtiic
Jennorific

I made BEST OF 2007 for my frozen bird nest pic!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007 03:37:02 PM »

We had the light coming in too, but my husband tightened the screws on whatever-it's called that is attached to the frame that catches the latch on the door.  That seemed to help, though now we need to slam the door to make it close all the way.  Undecided

My maintenance guy hasn't bothered fixing my door yet either and I'm in the middle of an ice storm and am COOOOLD.  Maybe I'll tighten my own screws  Smiley  I'm assuming my door has screws... maybe I should look. ha ha

Repairs are not my thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't complete 'til you crochet a uterus for a friend.  Just make sure your fallopian tubes point down and not up! No one needs to lose an eye this way! Wink

I love personal swaps for small stuff (including Hershey Kisses!)! PM me for happy fun rockin' good times!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Flat Iron Your Hair
How to Choose a Flat Iron
How to Maintain Your Flat Iron and Hair
How to Use a Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...