A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,921
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kid's Crochet books  (Read 458 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sappho
« on: November 23, 2007 04:25:51 PM »

My niece is 11 and expressed some interest in crochet after I showed her some stuff I was making. Since she lives 5 hours away I can't teach her myself like I want to, but I am thinking of getting her a book and some hooks/yarn etc. for Christmas so she can get started on her own. Can anyone suggest a good crochet book for kids around her age? Nothing too corny or young, she's quite bright and I'm sure she'll pick it up quickly. Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007 08:44:50 PM »

There is a book for kids called 'Kids Crochet' by Kelli Ronci and it has about 15 projects to make. It's a nice book and I think she'll like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
gaylefrancisdesigns
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 08:51:14 AM »

You might try to find a copy of "Get Hooked".  It builds up skills from basic to more advanced, and it's got a really cute skirt as a final project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007 09:24:48 AM »

There's a KLUTZ crochet kit for kids/teens that is really nice.
I gave it as a gift ot my niece last year. 
I also just found another kit, that could work http://www.mahardrygoods.com/item.php?item_id=616&category_id=47
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007 09:32:08 AM by kjlutz - Reason: and to fix spelling » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007 09:43:01 AM »

Klutz typically has awesome books with great pictures. Which seem to help kids and adults get it faster.

Another option is to go to about.com and pull up thier crochet section and copy and print the step by step picture tuts. Put those in a binder and get one of those little pencil cases that goes in a binder. Fill the case with hooks, folding scizzors, some yarn needles etc.
And send some yarn and a few projects to make using the stitches you've printed directions to.
I'd also include a page with a list of links to free pattern websites. And perhaps a link to craftster so that with her mom's help she could get answers to questions if she has them. Wink

I did this for a friend and she only new how to chain when I started she figured it out pretty fast with very little help from me. Smiley

Oh maybe send mom a hook and some yarn too so she can help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sappho
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007 11:22:55 AM »

Thanks for all the great advice! I'd rather get books that people recommend rather than finding a random book or information that might not be that great, so this is great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aelita

Yes I am Goth.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007 11:49:50 AM »

That Get Hooked book is awesome I had it and was going to make the skirt in it as well as the arm warmers but other crochet things got in the way. The Kid's Crochet book I'm referring has a big blanket in there made of triangles that I am working on. They also have a pillow that goes with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will always be people who say mean words  because you are different, and sometimes their minds cannot be changed. There are many more people who do not judge others based on how they look or where they are from. THOSE are the people whose WORDS truly matter.

http://li-lis-page.blogspot.com
fallencupid
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007 07:37:44 AM »

There is a Leisure Arts book called Cool Stuff Teach Me to Crochet, that I have been using myself and it's pretty good. I have used the knitting one and it helped me too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play at the Tip of the Bow
How to Play the Piano with Velocity
How to Play Kings Cup
Learn How to Rosin the Violin Bow
Dynamics on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...