A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blown Glass  (Read 2757 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iagainsti518
« on: December 28, 2004 03:35:36 PM »

I'd like to learn how to make blown glass stuff .. like pendants, pipes, decorations, etc..  Anyone post some directions, tools, tips, and such? would be so fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iagainsti518
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2004 03:36:28 PM »

I'd like to learn how to make blown glass stuff .. like pendants, pipes, decorations, etc..  Anyone post some directions, tools, tips, and such? would be so fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004 03:43:12 PM »

I beleive that you need to buy a kit to do it & starting can be a wee bit expensive, but I could be wrong, that's just what I've heard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
perilously_divine
Moi

Keep on Rock'n in the Craft World

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004 06:22:29 PM »

good question but u posted it in the wrong place! this is for completed projects as the title says. there is one for just questions Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2004 09:24:33 PM »

my friends are glass blowers. You need a torch, kiln, table, glasses to protect your eyes. It takes oxygen too. I'm not sure on technique but it costs some money to set up a studio. There are some places who give lessons. You should check the yellow pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costum e maven.
KatDr5

In the end, everything is a gag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005 12:48:16 AM »

I hate to tell you this, but you would have to take a class to learn to blow glass safely and affectively.  It would be impossible for you to learn this on your own because it is extremely dangerous if you do not know what you are doing and even if you do you will always need at least one partner to help you.  It is also expensive if you dont take a class because at the very least to do small projects you would need to buy a glory hole, heat resistant gloves, tongs, an annealing kiln etc. (a.k.a. it would set you back thousands of dollars). Basically if you want to commit yourself to learning how to blow glass, take a class at an art academy or college. You would have access to all the right equipment and guidence and would have a much more enjoyable experience I assure you!! If not, and you would still like to work with glass as a medium, you could teach yourself to do lampwork which is kind of like glass blowing in miniature where you melt glass rods with a blowtorch.  I have seen many books on this artform so they are out there. Best of luck!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ryn
fishheads
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005 12:57:59 AM »

Damn.
I always wanted to learn myself.
But apperently not then eh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Inna
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005 05:41:08 PM »

There is a glass blowing studio in Invermere, BC (Canada)
I don't know the name of it though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drama llama ding dong
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005 10:26:54 PM »

When you know what you're doing you don't need help, but it takes quite a while to get there. There are some glass studios around my parents summerhouse, and in my favourite one, the owner will let you watch him blow glass at certain hours. He does it alone.
But the biggest problem of all is still safety, if you could get far enough to get the equipment... I don't know very much about this really, but there should be courses avalible, shouldn't there? Here I know there's courses for like $200 - $300, about ten hours all and all. (Mind you - these things are incredibly expensive in sweden - most hobby and craft things are)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Gierma
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005 01:20:46 AM »

also you should think about, Glas blowers apparently die quite young, I was  told when I visited a glas blowing centre. They traditionaly died young and still do, due to the impact on the body of the work. Apparenlty blowing melting hot glass is not the healthies way to make a living...

something with poison in the glass, and especialy the colours used...

I would love to learn how to do as well, but i think it's more a proffesion then a hobby...but I know there are like 3 week holiday summer courses in different places...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating a Shadow and Adding a Logo
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Illustrator® Files in InDesign
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Photoshop® Files in InDesign
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Guides Using the Line Tool
Adobe Illustrator CS2 - How to Open Files from Bridge
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...