A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting for Boys  (Read 1850 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bananasplit
« on: November 22, 2007 07:28:32 AM »

O.k.  I have 12 nieces and nephews, and a smattering of young cousins.  the girls I've got covered with: jewelry, knit wristlets, hand sewn purses, hats, scarves, etc.  But WHAT DO I MAKE for the BOYS that they won't think is sucky?  They range in age from 5 to 11.

Mothers of boys --- please help me!!!  What do these little aliens boys like that I could make?  any ideas are appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007 08:01:50 AM »

For the younger ones, everything from puppets to socks would be great!  Just make it brightly coloured and fun.  Older ones might like simple crocheted or knitted hats (manly colours), fleece blankets, pillowcases, socks, fingerless gloves (think Knitty's Kucks), maybe even personalized pencil cases for those who like to draw.  Ooh! Slippers would probably go across well for any age!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
joyfulheart
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007 04:12:57 PM »

I have 3 boys, 5 nephews all age 4 to 9.  LOL

Homemade stuff?

They like blankets, Totebags with their name (or favorite superhero) on it, Organizing Boxes (like men use in the garage) for all their trinkets  (you could personalize it)

Another idea is giving them a disposable camera, and a small scrapbook to put their developed pictures in.  You could get crafty to personalize it for them.  All boys love photography no matter the age!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007 07:10:23 PM »

My son is really into transformers right now.  You could make some hats, pillows, scarves with the autobots and/or decepticons emblem on them.  My boys also love pirates, aliens, robots, space and would love anything with these themes on them.

Totebags for library books.
Overnight bags for spending the night away from home, include matching toiletry bag.
Sleeping bag
Pillow sham
Quilt
Pirate Flags
Cd wallets
video game cartridge wallets if they have a portable video game system you could make a matching carrier for the game as well
wallets for the older kiddos
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kacarrol
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007 07:29:34 PM »

There are some great ideas that would in this thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skyyblue
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007 06:55:21 PM »

Hi there!
I'm a mom of 3 boys (7, 10 & 13) Aunt to 3 more and "Aunt" to 6 more. plus there is my 4th kid-DH hehehe..so  ummm...

Those fleece blankets that you tie the sides (way easy & quick) and with the choices of fleece out there almost anyone's interests are covered. My 13 yo now wants another one cuz he's had a major growth spurt and his old one just isn't long enough.

If the boys have PSPs, DSs or even like Leapster you can always whip up a cover with their interests/names on them. This works for CD players and mp3 players as well Either knit or felt, fleece. pretty straight forward And with the felt if you don't want to sew-3 words "RedLine Tape Rocks"!!

And going the knit route: scarves, hats, gloves, balls toys-many many patterns on our beloved craftster as well as ravelry and out in the internet cosmos just browse and be in awe of all that can be made with yarn, needles and imagination! Oh and Bernat has Camoflage yarn in a couple of colorways...my middle son has a hat and a messenger bag/overnight bag in the blue.

You can get canvases for cheap and paint door signs with their favorite stuff and name for their bedrooms. Or even easier just paint those pre-made letters, attatch them together and attach a hanger.

Another artsy gift (ok it with parents first) paint a mural for them. If you're not another Rembrandt an easy trick is to print out what you would like to do on a transparency and use an over-head projector (a lot of times you can borrow one from your library or if you know someone in your school system they may lend one out too).Trace the transparency on the wall very lightly with pencil and voila it's a paint-by-numbers! I did this for a friend because they wanted to get one of those Disney doors from Home Depot but just couldn't swing the cost. My "nephew" was thrilled to see that when he came back from preschool and went to his room he was surprised to see  Lightning McQueen and Tater were staring back at him !

Boys generally like anything with their names on it as well as cars, trucks, trains, planes, dinos, sports, pirates(nowadays),anything girls think are gross  Smiley and anything that is like them-always on the go. If you incorporate their favorite colors then all the better. Just make sure its heavy-duty (well face it-indestructible) cuz the intended purpose may not always be the eventual use of the object  Roll Eyes

Being a mom to boys just makes you think in an entirely new way especially if you only had 1 sister and 3 girl cousins growing up. They may be alien at times but you rarely have a dull moment Wink Wouldn't trade it for the world lol Grin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007 07:21:53 PM by skyyblue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
OrangeAngel23
Orange Angel's Profile

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007 11:45:46 AM »

Worse comes to worse, you can always make hats and scarves and hand bags, or something like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am very interested in doing swaps.  Please PM me if you are interested!  I love to make beaded things, and am now learning to sew!  Sooo.. please feel free to chat with me about crafty things!
meriweather
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007 07:55:02 PM »

My guys loved any thing dinosaur. My gs is into bugs, you can make a cute Bug Cage with that plastic canvas stuff, and some bits of felt.
DIY art kits. My guys liked pom pom, pipecleaners, google eyes etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magic happens
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007 07:59:10 PM »

what about soaps with their fave themed toys in them? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stressedoutmamax3
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007 08:23:29 PM »

I have boys who are 10, 8 and almost 2... I also have 5 and 2 year old nephews.

Last Christmas I crocheted a checkerboard for my oldest... in the past I've also made him a star afghan, a messenger bag and some funky hats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
Redbook Magazine’s Beauty Epiphanies
Makeup Expert Kandee Johnson Transforms Into 1990s Madonna
Prabal Gurung Fall 2014 NY Fashion Week - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Remove Toxins and Bacteria From Your Body With Oil Pulling
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...