A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grandmother's Sewing Basket Finds  (Read 2060 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

streeturchin
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007 09:16:12 PM »

I could be very wrong, but in picture two the tool is an exact match to the tool I have to go with a  spool knitting thing I got as a kid. I don't remember the exact name, but it's a cylinder and has four prongs at the top and you wind the yarn around them and then pull them over the next layer of loops. I'll try to find the name. It may not be that at all, especially if the spool wasn't in there. I hope you find out what all of those neat tools are and how to use them! They look like fun Wink
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007 09:19:43 PM by streeturchin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007 03:45:15 AM »

streeturchin

Thank you so much! I would love to know what they are. Tried using one last night in tatting, definitely not its intended purpose. So please let me know if you could. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007 04:29:50 AM »

Don't you actually need a hook for the cylinder thing if you're not just using your fingers for it? Like a normal crochet hook? I mean.. the thing in pic2 is without a hook, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
erikau
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007 05:21:20 AM »

I spent a little more time researching and I think the crochet hookless might really be a stylus for transfers.  I could find plenty of references to using them to transfer patterns, but could only find photos of the modern, two ended ones used for embossing paper.

Erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007 06:04:00 AM »

I spent a little more time researching and I think the crochet hookless might really be a stylus for transfers.  I could find plenty of references to using them to transfer patterns, but could only find photos of the modern, two ended ones used for embossing paper.

Erika
Thank you Erika!

When I went to the store yesterday I looked in the craft section, and I did not see anything like the ones I was asking about. So that helps a great deal.

Don't you actually need a hook for the cylinder thing if you're not just using your fingers for it? Like a normal crochet hook? I mean.. the thing in pic2 is without a hook, right?
Yes, it has no hook, and I think must be used as Erika mentioned somehow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

streeturchin
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2007 08:32:41 AM »

You don't need a hook- you just slip it under the loop and push it over. It's actual name is spool knitting. And like I said, that might not be it at all- especially since there was no spool found with it, it just looks like what I have. It definitely sounds like it could be a stylus.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007 08:33:54 AM by streeturchin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vkeefreecupcakes

!!Hello to the World!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008 11:11:48 AM »

lucky you! your grandomothers tattings are gorgeous!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008 11:21:09 AM »

Wow! Thank you. Smiley I'm still marveling at all the treasures I've got from her 3 sewing boxes.

I'm still trying to teach myself to tat, but I must be doing something wrong. When I try to close my ring it doesn't work. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008 11:23:25 AM »

Basic problem for new tatters - make sure your knot FLIPS so the OTHER thread has the knot, not the one you're actually tying the knot WITH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008 01:57:05 PM »

Wow!! What a fun stash of stuff!

The two-eyed needle (already mentioned) is a netting needle, and the things that look like various-sized popsicle sticks are gauges for netting.

The fat roundish pointed sticks with the nobs on top in that same photo are awls. They're used for boring holes in fabrics and widening holes, for techniques like cutwork and whitework and so forth (they're what you use for making eyelets). You can also use them for laying tools, although I like thinner laying tools, personally. The stick at the bottom of that photo looks like a laying tool, and the long toothpick looking stick right above that (does it have an eye on the end, or no? - I bet not) could be a stiletto of sorts, but maybe not. It could be used for a hundred different things, like holding a stopping point in lace-making, or cording, or kumihimo. If it's fragile, it may not be a stiletto, but just a general purpose tool. If it has an eye, perhaps it is a needle for filet techniques (on large-gauge net).

Someone mentioned bobbins? I don't see any lace bobbins in any of the photos.

As for the hookless crochet hook - it looks to me like the blunt type of "needle" that might be used with spool knitting (like streeturchin said) or with a "knitting nancy." It would probably work great as a stylus, but I've never seen a stylus with that flattened central area. That flat space is good for leverage, which would make it perfect for spool knitting.

Have fun sorting!!

Beautiful lace, by the way - did your grandmother make the lace in the top photo? It looks like cluny lace, only crocheted - really nice!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008 01:58:00 PM by TreeCactus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Philippa Gregory Reads from The Red Queen Part 1
A.J. Jacobs Wishes He Had This Talent
Meet Authors Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant
Helene Cooper Talks About The House at Sugar Beach
Meet Author J.A. Jance
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...