A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,701
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dyeing Merino/Viscose?  (Read 754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahbird
« on: November 21, 2007 09:59:51 PM »

I recently purchased some merino/viscose roving, and it's GORGEOUS, but I just realized that I don't know anything about dyeing viscose.  All I have are acid dyes, will those work?  At worst, the dyes will just dye the wool and leave the viscose white, right?

Any info is appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog - random crafty musings:
sarahbird.wordpress.com
the etsy - handspun yarn and more:
sarahbirdspins.etsy.com
frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007 08:51:56 PM »

The viscose is a plant fiber so it should just stay white if you use an acid dye.. I don't know for sure though. Take a little piece and dye it to see what happens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lufahsman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007 02:58:58 AM »

You are going to need reactive dyes to dye the viscose.  I've never tried it, but Pro Chem claims that the Pro Mx dyes with dye wool as well as cellulose fibers.  Take a look here...

http://www.prochemical.com/directions.htm

Travis
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A very silly place...
http://yarnzombie.net/Travis
AgentAlmost
Semi Professional Raving Lunatic

I love the smell of wet Llama in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007 02:20:24 AM »

While I personally do believe that fiber reactive dyes are so much better than direct dyes and normally suggest that people use the former instead of the latter, this time I feel I should do the opposite. Fiber reactive dyes need a high ph to work on cotton and it would most likely damage the wool. If you use the mx dye to dye the wool, you'd have to lower the ph by adding vinegar and it will work just like an acid dye: it won't dye the cellulose in an acidic state.

Direct dyes dye cellulose and just need salt and heat to work and won't damage the wool but they're not very washfast. A union or all purpose dye like RIT contains both an acid dye and a direct dye. The acid dye in a union dye is usually a levelling dye though, and levelling dyes aren't very washfast either.

If you just use acid dye on the roving, the viscose part should remain white.
Some acid dyes stain cellulose while others don't, so there is a chance that the viscose may be stained then fade to white after a few washings.
Either way, neither the acid dye or the vinegar will damage the viscose.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2007 02:50:11 AM by AgentAlmost - Reason: Removed reference to alter ego dyes because even though they will work on wool, using the included instructions and fixative may damage the wool. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pmpknpunk
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008 02:03:07 PM »

Hi! I am bring this thread back in wonderment if you ever dyed this fiber....as I am in the same boat!  Grin Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feralfeminine
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008 03:16:18 PM »

I've dyed merino/bamboo mill end roving before, and the acid dyes dye the wool but leave the cellulose white. It's a nice effect, and I spun some really pretty yarns from it! It should be the same for any wool/cellulose fiber blend. Here is one of the batches of fiber I dyed:

If you want to try a blend that WILL dye with acid dyes, try merino/soysilk - that one just took my breath away! Here is one of the yarns I spun from it:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pmpknpunk
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008 07:11:07 AM »

Oooo thanks for sharing, those are lovely! I do really like the effect of the viscose staying white amongst the rest of the dyed fibers. Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
How to Draw a Cockroach
How to Increase Company Creative Capability
The Most Powerful Sharpening Tool in Photoshop Elements 11
How to Draw Benson from Regular Show
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...