A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 69
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Post Secret Swap Round 2!  (Read 67493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #500 on: December 06, 2007 05:22:03 AM »

Wow you guys- I just spent almost 2 hours reading everything in this thread. It's amazing how so many of us share the same secrets...Even though I didn't participate in this swap, I feel better knowing that most of the secrets I hold the closest- thinking people would look at me differently if they only knew...are probably some of the same secrets that they have themselves. This was better than my regular $150 an hour therapy session!!!! (Maybe I should skip this month's appointment and spend the cash on new beads and findings!!!!!)  Wink

I agree!  Some of my biggest secrets are out now, and I feel SO much better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
Muria
« Reply #501 on: December 06, 2007 08:17:24 AM »

If I may ask, how did you find out you were missing an enzyme that made your milk indigestible? I'm presuming there was a problem, as I never had anything tested.

With my oldest, he would VIOLENTLY throw up every time he nursed so they tested my milk along with the other tests to see what was wrong.  It doesn't always affect a kid, so I tried with the next 2 as well, with the same results.  My 4th, like I said, couldn't latch well enough to nurse, but I pumped and we tried it and no luck there either.  They described it to me as if my milk was almost soured.  Lovely!  It is apparently genetic, because I found out in the process that my mom couldn't nurse me for the same reason.  I can't say I am necessarily upset since they ALL were born with at least one tooth!

Isn't it interesting how many unusual family traits you *don't* find out about until you find out it's relevant to you?  I didn't find out about the history of cervical cancer on my grandmother's side of the family *until* I had an abnormal pap smear.  Then my mother blithely said, "Yeah, why do you think your grandmother is so paranoid about cancer?"  Gee, I dunno, I thought she was just naturally a hypochondriac.  Roll Eyes 

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Kiki870
Stash Goddess

Crafting since birth,...!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #502 on: December 06, 2007 08:19:01 AM »

If I may ask, how did you find out you were missing an enzyme that made your milk indigestible? I'm presuming there was a problem, as I never had anything tested.

With my oldest, he would VIOLENTLY throw up every time he nursed so they tested my milk along with the other tests to see what was wrong.  It doesn't always affect a kid, so I tried with the next 2 as well, with the same results.  My 4th, like I said, couldn't latch well enough to nurse, but I pumped and we tried it and no luck there either.  They described it to me as if my milk was almost soured.  Lovely!  It is apparently genetic, because I found out in the process that my mom couldn't nurse me for the same reason.  I can't say I am necessarily upset since they ALL were born with at least one tooth!

Isn't it interesting how many unusual family traits you *don't* find out about until you find out it's relevant to you?  I didn't find out about the history of cervical cancer on my grandmother's side of the family *until* I had an abnormal pap smear.  Then my mother blithely said, "Yeah, why do you think your grandmother is so paranoid about cancer?"  Gee, I dunno, I thought she was just naturally a hypochondriac.  Roll Eyes 

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.  Smiley 

No problem!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love my hubby, but the Army doesn't pay enough for my crafty habit!

My blog Multifaceted Mama
Facebook
Twitter
puppybreath

everything we do, is just everything we've done

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 06, 2007 12:07:20 PM »

It says: "There are very few pictures of my childhood... because after my father died my mom was too depressed to care." The words under the pic say "This is not me."

"There is a war inside me between 'feminist me' and 'traditional fundamentalist me'. I don't know who will win in the end..." The back says, "Traditional = modest dressing (no pants, long skirts); long hair; quiverfull (as many kids as God blesses us with); woman of proverbs."

Thank you for sharing your secrets with us. I feel too uninformed to comment on either, other than to say, I hope you are happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ghilie
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Good Cookie Designs

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: December 06, 2007 12:34:45 PM »

To the one about the war inside between fundamentalist/feminism: I think feminism is just the right to choose your own life.  I do things that make hardcore feminists roll their eyes.  "You SEW??!"  But I don't want to have children.  There was a time when it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't want kids, I would have them anyway.  Feminism has brought me the choice, the freedom to be as I wish.  So you can choose to be fundamentalist, if that is what makes you happy, but still be a feminist.  Does that make sense?

Edited to add:  My mother was born in the 40's, in a rural area.  She once confided in me that she had never wanted children, and that she only had them because it was expected.  (Feminism hadn't got to rural California when she got married.)  She never got to make the choices that would have made her happy.  She supports my not wanting kids, and I expect she is the only mother in the world who isn't chomping at the bit for grandkids.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007 02:00:44 PM by ghilie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit http://ghilie.wordpress.com/ for the poppet pattern.

"I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."
whyme81687
« Reply #505 on: December 06, 2007 01:54:53 PM »

To the one about the war inside between fundamentalist/feminism: I think feminism is just the right to choose your own life.  I do things that make hardcore feminists roll their eyes.  "You SEW??!"  But I don't want to have children.  There was a time when it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't want kids, I would have them anyway.  Feminism has brought me the choice, the freedom to be as I wish.  So you can choose to be fundamentalist, if that is what makes you happy, but still be a feminist.  Does that make sense?

To me that idea makes perfect sense and i think the actual idea of feminism has been lost and replaced by this idea that to be a feminist you have to renounce anything and everything that would emulate being a homemaker (i.e. cooking, sewing, crocheting, staying at home with kids) and male bashing. I refuse to take women studies courses at my university for that very reason. The classes are just male bashing. But i have always believed that feminism is about treating women equally within society and allowing for them to make thier own decisions based upon the way that THEY want to live their lives. I think that a wife who is a stay at home mom can be just as much as a feminist as a woman who is the head of a major corporation. Growing up that is what I learned from my mother, who was a stay at home mom. I really think the true idea of what feminism is has been lost and constructed into a very negative connotation, and to me that's sad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The thing about glitter is, if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. 'Cause glitter doesn't go away. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies."
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: December 06, 2007 02:14:20 PM »

There is a war inside me between 'feminist me' and 'traditional fundamentalist me'. I don't know who will win in the end..." The back says, "Traditional = modest dressing (no pants, long skirts); long hair; quiverfull (as many kids as God blesses us with); woman of proverbs."

I know what you mean, although my family was never that traditional. Forgive me for assuming, but it seems like you've been raised in a very strict, Christian fundamentalist church. There is a middle ground that is honouring to God without going off the deep-end. I know, cause I live there. I hope you find peace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugar-magnolia
« Reply #507 on: December 06, 2007 04:20:50 PM »

I've gotten three over the past few days.  Here they are!

The writing says, "I don't take a political stand because I'm ignorant and I have no idea what the heck is going on in Iraq or in the White House!"  I'm not sure anyone knows what's going on in the White House at this point.   Huh

Pardon my thumb in this next one, I had to hold it at an angle to avoid extreme glare. 

And the back...

This was a great batch of cards, thank everyone for sharing!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.com 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
Avian Flight
« Reply #508 on: December 06, 2007 04:26:33 PM »

I got 3 more today!

"I like outperforming others."
The picture is so cute! I think that's a good trait to have as long as you don't rub it in people's faces. aka be humble. =)

"The last time I saw my grandma alive, I was glad to be getting away from her."
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have a close relationship with my grandmothers either. I hope this doesn't happen to me. =(

"I love to steal other people's mail" (sorry it got cut off)
Haha that's funny but I hope you don't steal their personal mail. Circulars and other junk are okay but credit card info and paid magazines are not.

=D Thanks for sharing your secrets! They're interesting.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
sugar-magnolia
« Reply #509 on: December 06, 2007 04:29:23 PM »

About stealing mail-- I've never done this, but sometimes I think I'd like to steal a UPS truck and open everything, like it was Christmas.    Cute new avatar, CrochetWitch, by the way!  I was confused at first-- "Who the heck is this?" because I usually just look at avatars to see who posts.    Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007 06:03:43 PM by sugar-magnolia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.com 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 69 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Most Out of Singing Lessons
How to Make a Scarecrow
How to Make an Easter Bonnet
How to Make a Hand-Painted Tie for Father’s Day
How to Make a Ghost Costume
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...