A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,662
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: iPod cozy felting disaster  (Read 3436 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nerdnirvana
a resting place for overachievers.

happy now?

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2004 01:24:29 AM »

So I was trying to felt an iPod cozy for my new iPod (got it for Christmas! yay!) you know, cause they scratch so easily. I had this lovely mohair schtuff in teal, so I crocheted this lovely teal mohair iPod cozy. Unfortunately, it was WAY too big. So I tried to felt it, except I tried to felt it on the stovetop.
I thought this would be a super-efficient mode of felting. It didn't work the first time, when I had boiled it for a minute or two. So I boiled it again for like, seven minutes. It still didn't shrink that much. I am not happy.
Then I thought I'd microwave it, and see what happened. It didn't do much, but now my microwave smells like damp burntish wool.
Oh, and a lot of the color came out in the pan when I boiled it. Sadness. It's still a lovely color, I just don't know what I'll use the thing for. Ugh. Cry Smelly microwave is DEFINITELY the worst.

Does anyone have any non-washing machine felting tips? I don't like washing machines, they eat my socks.

On a happier note, I finished my playing card purse and matching iPod cozy. I shall post them as soon as I can do pictures. Fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i can survive for three months on a good compliment. - oscar wilde.
this is not a solar symbol. it is a potato. - joan mir
leslieduckie
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004 10:32:25 AM »

I don't knit but I am getting into felting/fulling where you use wool roving instead of wool yarn and you agitate it to get felt. Anyhow, I think you shouldn't have tried to felt mohair, felting only works well for 100% wool. Mohair is goat hair, right? In the future, if you're knitting to felt something you could follow these felting instructions where you use dish soap, hot water, and cold water to rub and shrink the wool. Otherwise, I'd stick with the washing machine method.

http://gfwsheep.com/felting/felt.html

Sorry about your iPod cozy! Good luck on your future crafty endeavors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
Accessories for the Feisty-Minded
www.feistyelle.com
brendergrrl
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004 04:36:05 PM »

Ooh ooh, I want to see the IPod cosy!   I'm in the process of designing one. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Mook
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004 06:20:33 PM »

I tried felting my i-pod cozy also and it just looks a little bit worn in but not as good as pictures I have seen. I guess I may have used the wrong type of yarn also so you are not the only one with felting issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best is yet to come.
lise
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004 12:06:25 PM »

Mohair felts perfectly well. What you're lacking is agitation. heat alone won't felt anything, you need the magic combination of heat + agitation + moisture. Soap helps as well. What you want to do is get your cozy wet with hot (well as hot as you can handle) with a little dish soap added. Then you'll just have to rub it really hard. A washing board would be nice for that ( you know the old fashioned ones) or anything with a ridged surface. ( I heard some tupperware lids are good, but we don't have them here , so I can't tell you for sure).
If you don't have any of this, just rub it against itself so to speak. Just like if you were trying to wash a bad stain out of it or something, rub it between your palms etc...
This will probably make it shed and make the color bleed a bit, but it should definitly shrink/felt it.
Also temperature shock speeds up felting, so once in a while, rinse it in very cold water, and try it on your ipod to see how it fits . ( place your ipod in a sandwich bag, you don't want to let the water ruin it!)
If its not felted enough yet just wet it again and rub it some more.
It might take a while, but if your mohair yarn hasn't been treated against felting ( like "superwash") it will eventualy felt!

Let us know how it turns out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leslieduckie
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004 01:48:06 PM »

Oh, that's good to know about mohair, I thought only wool would work. I stand corrected. =) Hi Lise, I just bought a felt flower for you. =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feisty Elle
Accessories for the Feisty-Minded
www.feistyelle.com
lise
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004 03:19:53 PM »

Hey leslie Wink, thanks for your order!
Actually you can felt pretty much any animal fiber. Sheep wool felts best, but mohair and alpaca are good too. Angora (rabits hair) felts okay too, but the resulting felt will be very fluffy and has a tendency to shed a lot. You can also felt your dog or cat's hair if you're willing to collect it first! And of course human hair felts also. That's what dreadlocks are. Felted human hair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sakura ashanti

If I was a rich girl, nah nah nanananana!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005 06:14:17 PM »

Cute as! Can you post a pic of it, it sounds cool.  Why don't you line it? It might make it  bit smaller. I havent done much hand felting I like the needle felting better, more fun, and i just got a puppy so she loves eating the balls i make her *so sweet*. And if the I pod thing is still to big, make it into a funky bag thing, it'll be cool as. And if you are not happy with the coulor/color then just dye it, wools very good at that. JUST, check the gloves you have on don't have a hole in them, LOL my mum had  a red hand for a week. She was very uphappy.

Dose anyone know if you can felt with cat hair???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, you do look a bit like my brother Fred! Fred, darling  Fred, I can call you Fred can't I?
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005 07:42:18 PM »

Vic (sakura) and I have been discussing felting with cat hair, both needle and soapy. I really would like to make some of lise's felted bracelets from it, so i can creep people out when they ask about my bracelet.... Roll Eyes
-G.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
sakura ashanti

If I was a rich girl, nah nah nanananana!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005 01:19:57 PM »

Jay/G (stargirl52) is very odd, but don't hold that against her, shes weird too   Grin. If any one knows if it will work plz e-mail or send  a message 2 me or jay, THANK YOU! Good day to you all. *hope that this comes out pink and in Verdana font or the last bits just crap*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why, you do look a bit like my brother Fred! Fred, darling  Fred, I can call you Fred can't I?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fresh Fried Corn Recipe
Jalapeno Cheddar Rice Casserole Recipe
Brown Sugar-Soy Sauce Marinated Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Sauteed Marinated Kebab Vegetables and Fruits Recipe
Budget Friendly Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...