A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can anyone tell me how/what this might be?  (Read 1756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hawtmamah
« on: November 20, 2007 02:34:25 PM »

My grandmother made a number of these as lapghans and afghans when i was really little, and i was given one of the few left. I want to make one, and i vaguely remember her using a round loom to make them, but beyond that i have no clue. She may not have even used a loom to make the flowers, but she definitely crocheted them all together. I just love the way the blanket drapes and the weight of it is so heavy even though it looks light and lacey. If anyone has seen this or could steer me a few keywords to search with i'd really appreciate it!

the front and back view of the blanket

a kinf od fuzzy close up of the 'flowers' themselves...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007 02:41:20 PM »

Whoa -- mental blast from the past!  I have this memory of a tv commercial for a gadget that made these. It was a plastic disk set on a knob, with metal tines sticking out all around. And the woman wrapped yarn about the tines, and when ready she twisted the knob; the tines would retract into the disk and the yarn would pop off as one of those flower-shaped disks. It may have been made by Ronko, or some such company if that's any help....
 Undecided Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Horse Power
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007 02:48:32 PM »

Try this link to a product called a Knit-wit, it's one of those little loom things:
http://www.plaidonline.com/articleDetail.asp?entry=article&articleID=316
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007 03:26:48 PM »

Whoa -- mental blast from the past!  I have this memory of a tv commercial for a gadget that made these. It was a plastic disk set on a knob, with metal tines sticking out all around. And the woman wrapped yarn about the tines, and when ready she twisted the knob; the tines would retract into the disk and the yarn would pop off as one of those flower-shaped disks. It may have been made by Ronko, or some such company if that's any help....
 Undecided Smiley

haha, i'm so glad you posted this reply! i thought i would be the only one who remembered that odd commercial!

i looked at that link that Horse Power gave - it looks about right. if i remember correctly, that is. teehee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
krissykat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007 04:01:33 PM »

This lady has the Ronco commercial on her blog.Cheesy She also has lots of projects posted that use a flower loom. I didn't see anything about afghans, but I didn't look very long. Bernat makes a "Bloom Loom" and in the description it mentions making reversible afghans with it. Seems like they might have a pattern or book available. I also stumbled across this ebay auction for a couple of flower looms and a pattern book. You could always ask the seller if the afghan pattern in the book is similar to yours. If you had a bunch of flowers you could probably figure out for yourself how to crochet them together.

That afghan is so cute. I think I may have to add it to my ever growing list of projects to try.  (Try a Google search for "flower loom" or "bloom loom". There were lots of results that I didn't even look through. You might even find a free pattern.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
hawtmamah
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007 04:42:38 PM »

WOO! you all rock. I was thinking i was shooting in the dark but man am I glad i came here first before trying to search on my own!

PimpernelSmith and kabili- i think what i remember my grandmother using was exactly what you are describing!

*happy dance* i MUST find ANY of these products mentioned in this thread and see how they work out!!

*MUAHS* to all of you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Esjay82
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007 06:36:00 PM »

Hey

I'm SO glad u posted this! I remember having a blanket like that! My Nana and my Mum made it i think! but i didn't know how?! And as neither of them are around anymore i didn't know who to ask about it? i tookup knitting again n i recently taught myself how to crochet.   

I REALLY wanted to make one of these types of blanket! But didn't know where to start?! but now i do! AWESOME!!!

Thank you!

Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tsuki_Tsubasa
~*Meow*~

Resident book worm..... X3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 08:09:48 PM »

This pattern is in an old crochet book I have in my hands right now. Cheesy I can scan the pages this weekend and I'll stick em in my photobucket and post a link here. <3's~ ^__^v The flowers are made with a loom but the ones shown in my books don't have the extra poofy flower bit in the middle. You'll see what I mean once I scan it. <3's~ I might scan it tonight if I get the chance. ^^

Edit: Went ahead and scanned it. Here is the first page that shows how to make the flowers with the loom:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Tsuki_Tsubasa/Craftster%20stuff/crochet1.jpg
And here is the second page that shows how to join the flowers together:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Tsuki_Tsubasa/Craftster%20stuff/crochet2.jpg

Hope these help you. ^^ I scanned them at 300 dpi but the words are still kind of hard to see.... I typed up the directions in case you can't read them. ^^

Here is everything that those pages say:

Pattern Made with Loom

The basis of this pattern is a flower made on a loom available in craft stores (you can make your own with pegboard or wood and headless nails). Add a little embroidery and a little crocheting to make an attractive lace pattern.

1. Arrange 12 evenly spaced pegs to form a circle with desired diameter. Tape end of yarn (we used yellow) to the loom next to a peg. * wrap yarn around corresponding peg on opposite side and bring it back around next peg to the right *; repeat from * to * wrapping yarn back and forth across loom and working counterclockwise.

2. Continue to wrap yarn around pegs in this manner until each peg has 3 loops.

3. Cut yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end in a yarn needle and work a small circle of tiny backstitches around the center to fasten loops securely in place. Fasten off yarn and trim away excess.

4. Gently lift flower off loom one peg at a time.

5. Crochet around flower as follows: Attatch green yarn to a set of three loops and work 1 sc over these loops. * ch 3, sc over next set of 3 loops *; repeat from * to * around, ending with ch 3, sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

6. With a doubled strand of white yarn, embroider satin stitches, as shown, to cover the flower center (as defined by backstitches).

7. To join flowers as you work the green row, work (ch 3 and sc) around and, at places where edges of flowers touch, work sc in adjoining sc, then continue to work green row. Seven joined flowers form a hexagon.

8. You can also work a second green row so motifs can be joined as squares. Row 2: Ch 1, * sc in sc, work (3 dc over ch-3 arch, sc in next sc) twice, work (2 dc, ch 11) over next arch, sl st in eleventh ch from hook, dc over same arch (corner made) *; repeat from * to *. Sl st in first sc.

9. Make another motif (B), working Row 2 to third corner. At corner arch, work 2 dc over arch, ch 5, sl st in center of adjoining corner arch (on motif A), continuing on B, ch 5, sl st in first ch of corner chain just made, dc over same arch to complete corner, * sc in next sc, 2 dc over next arch, sl st in center dc of adjoining 3-dc group on A, dc over same arch on B *; repeat from * to * once more, sc in next sc, work corner, joining to motif A as before. Sl st to first sc. 

10. Continue to join adjacent sides and corners as you add squares. Sample shows four squares joined.

Sorry for the super long post. lol ^^; Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007 09:26:15 PM by Tsuki_Tsubasa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can find his way by moonlight, and see the dawn before the rest of the world."
Oscar Wilde
hawtmamah
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007 09:50:42 PM »

This pattern is in an old crochet book I have in my hands right now. Cheesy I can scan the pages this weekend and I'll stick em in my photobucket and post a link here. <3's~ ^__^v The flowers are made with a loom but the ones shown in my books don't have the extra poofy flower bit in the middle. You'll see what I mean once I scan it. <3's~ I might scan it tonight if I get the chance. ^^

Edit: Went ahead and scanned it. Here is the first page that shows how to make the flowers with the loom:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Tsuki_Tsubasa/Craftster%20stuff/crochet1.jpg
And here is the second page that shows how to join the flowers together:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/Tsuki_Tsubasa/Craftster%20stuff/crochet2.jpg

Hope these help you. ^^ I scanned them at 300 dpi but the words are still kind of hard to see.... I typed up the directions in case you can't read them. ^^

Here is everything that those pages say:

Pattern Made with Loom

The basis of this pattern is a flower made on a loom available in craft stores (you can make your own with pegboard or wood and headless nails). Add a little embroidery and a little crocheting to make an attractive lace pattern.

1. Arrange 12 evenly spaced pegs to form a circle with desired diameter. Tape end of yarn (we used yellow) to the loom next to a peg. * wrap yarn around corresponding peg on opposite side and bring it back around next peg to the right *; repeat from * to * wrapping yarn back and forth across loom and working counterclockwise.

2. Continue to wrap yarn around pegs in this manner until each peg has 3 loops.

3. Cut yarn, leaving a long end. Thread end in a yarn needle and work a small circle of tiny backstitches around the center to fasten loops securely in place. Fasten off yarn and trim away excess.

4. Gently lift flower off loom one peg at a time.

5. Crochet around flower as follows: Attatch green yarn to a set of three loops and work 1 sc over these loops. * ch 3, sc over next set of 3 loops *; repeat from * to * around, ending with ch 3, sl st in first sc. Fasten off.

6. With a doubled strand of white yarn, embroider satin stitches, as shown, to cover the flower center (as defined by backstitches).

7. To join flowers as you work the green row, work (ch 3 and sc) around and, at places where edges of flowers touch, work sc in adjoining sc, then continue to work green row. Seven joined flowers form a hexagon.

8. You can also work a second green row so motifs can be joined as squares. Row 2: Ch 1, * sc in sc, work (3 dc over ch-3 arch, sc in next sc) twice, work (2 dc, ch 11) over next arch, sl st in eleventh ch from hook, dc over same arch (corner made) *; repeat from * to *. Sl st in first sc.

9. Make another motif (B), working Row 2 to third corner. At corner arch, work 2 dc over arch, ch 5, sl st in center of adjoining corner arch (on motif A), continuing on B, ch 5, sl st in first ch of corner chain just made, dc over same arch to complete corner, * sc in next sc, 2 dc over next arch, sl st in center dc of adjoining 3-dc group on A, dc over same arch on B *; repeat from * to * once more, sc in next sc, work corner, joining to motif A as before. Sl st to first sc. 

10. Continue to join adjacent sides and corners as you add squares. Sample shows four squares joined.

Sorry for the super long post. lol ^^; Enjoy!

oh my! i think i love you! LOL. thank you SO so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tsuki_Tsubasa
~*Meow*~

Resident book worm..... X3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007 10:02:20 PM »

Welcomes. <3's~ ^__^ I'm just glad I could help at all.~ I bought a blanket like this at a yardsale ages ago and was thrilled when I found the pattern for it in my book. X3 You're right about it having a nice weight to it, but looking delicate at the same time. That's the one thing I love most about the one I got. I'ma have to get a loom myself some day and attempt to make my own after I finish all my other to do things.~ lol So many things to crochet and not enough time! XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can find his way by moonlight, and see the dawn before the rest of the world."
Oscar Wilde
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips To Make Your Blowout Last
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Red Ombre Look
JWoww Sniptease Thursdays: Cotton Candy Hair Dye
Plaited Bridesmaid Hairstyle Tutorial
Summer Travel Tips For Natural Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...