A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite Easy-Peasy Appetizer Recipe  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread: appetizer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2007 09:07:27 AM »

I am hosting a Thanksgiving feast for 16 this year and am trying to re-invent if not outright invent new appetizers.  So I thought I'd ask people to talk about their favorites.

boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeesaLove
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007 11:07:40 AM »

My fav is dip- & veggies.
Low fat sour cream, a tablespoon of mayo, a couple tablespoons grated parm chhese, a piumch of salt & pepper, then any dried green herbs you have on hand. I ususlaly use parsely, oragano) & some garlic powder. 
Best if made the day bedore to let flaovors meld. 
Great with celery & baby carrots.

Puff pastery or egg roll wrappers stuffed with almost anything.
( i love to chop up what ever fresh veggies I have sautae with some garlic or oniopn & fill egg roll or sprin roll wrappers then bake.

olives & pickles with some cubed cheese. If ytoiu want to go a little fancy make mini kabobs

pomageanate seeds in a stberry thsat you cut the top off of.

a big bowl or chex mix or mided nuts, or nuts & dreid fruit

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/lf_qe_snacks/0,2763,FOOD_25916,00.html

« Last Edit: November 20, 2007 11:11:53 AM by LeesaLove » THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007 11:24:15 AM »

Love the veggie dip idea.  I do a version of that in my food processor and add half a seeded jalepeno, an avocado, fresh cilantro and a dash of lime juice. 

But I would love to try a herb-y version instead. 

boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaissa
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007 12:41:52 PM »

This is not good for you, but super tasty. It's really easy and it's always the first thing gone when I bring it to parties. To make it easier you can always buy the little package of already cooked crumbled bacon. You can use lowfat sour cream, but the lowfat mayo doesn't really taste good in this.

BLT dip
1 cup mayo
1 cup sour cream
bacon - cooked and crumbled
tomatoes - chopped
lettuce - finely shredded
mix mayo and sour cream. Spread in a shallow dish. Top with crumbled bacon. Top that with tomatoes and then lettuce. Serve with bagel chips.

I also love these spinch/feta triangles - but they are a bit labor intensive for Thanksgiving. http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_4075,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliusmunki

I have no excuses for my behavior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007 02:10:29 PM »

we make an herbed cream cheese dip recipe - any lf fave will do -
use some for plain ole crackers and dip , spread some cheese dip on a ham slice and wrap around a piece of dill pickle!  LOVE THESE! -
spread some cream cheese on a piece of turkey or any fave meat like proscuitto and wrap around a whole  shallot or tomato or green pepper ... whatever --- You can make many different things with same basic dip...

can never go wrong with deviled eggs - YUM>>.

also we make these jalepeno poppers - stuffed w cream cheese and parmesan and hot sausage wrapped in bacon - don't always do the bacon - but they are always a hit -

MAN I LOVE PARTY FOOD!!!   Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyTattoo
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007 02:13:09 PM »

I looooooooooovvvvvve to take those cheapie ham packets and take a few slices and spread cream cheese on it then wrap it around a pickle. Sweet or Dill... your choice. I prefer dill. Then cut into little bite sized pieces. So yummy. I swear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Asbjrn
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007 05:44:43 PM »

I take a container of plain yogurt and place it in several layers of cheese cloth (You could even use a clean piece of thin muslin, a linen napkin etc), and hang it over a bowl overnight *about 12 hours*. Then discard the liquid and put the thickened yogurt in a bowl, add salt, fresh black pepper, fresh garlic and whatever herbs you like (I usually use a bit of dill, fresh parsley, rosemary and a little thyme). Mix it up and refrigerate until ready to use. I have no idea what to call it *I always just called it herb cheese* and it's great with crudite' or smeared on good crusty bread. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 07:59:56 PM »

my family always eats stuffed celery at holidays. 1 8 ounce block of cream cheese softened and mixed with one small sized jar of green olives--drained and chopped. Spread in celery, or serve with crackers or vegetables for dipping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
DomiKNITrix Kelley
Queen Kelley

I believe in gay robot marriage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007 11:15:52 PM »

I just posted this in another thread but I had some pepperchinis wrapped in creamcheese smeared on salami and they were heavenly!

My favorite appetizer is a bit pricey but friggin delish: baked brie in a bread bowl! Take a round sourdough bread loaf, cut the top off and hollow it out. Take a couple wedges of brie and cutt of the rind, and place it inside the hollowed out bread. Cut the innards of the bread you pulled out into cubes. You can bake these along with the bowl or throw em under the broiler with the top once is all baked to crisp up for dippin! Put the top back on and bake until the brie is melty and enticing! Sometimes the outside browns too fast and the cheese doesn't melt so take out your cubed bits and turn down the oven or play around with some tinfoil. Sorry it's not exactly precise but I don't cook that way! Oh and you must devour this before the brie cools down which isn't a problem usually cuz it's generally gone in 5 minutes. Once your bread pieces are gone, rip apart the bread bowl itself and defend yourself from hungry party goers while you stuff it in your face.

Oh and this is rad to assemble ahead of time, bring it with you and then throw in the oven of the party you're at cuz it must be pipin hot!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007 11:17:10 PM by DomiKNITrix Kelley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But where did the lighter fluid come from!?!?"
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007 07:29:25 AM »

Kelley - love the use of brie.  I actually make a brie topepd with lots of jam and covered with puff pastry.  It is soooooo good. 

bonnie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Interview with Jennifer Weiner
Erick Setiawan Talks About Of Bees and Mist
David Grann Talks About The Lost City of Z
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 2
Jennifer Weiner Reads from Best Friends Forever Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...