A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,020
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: homemade facial exfoliant ideas?  (Read 1521 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ButterfliesandBirdleaves
finding the time to craft between babies and breastfeeding

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2007 07:39:52 AM »

I have not before delved into the world of homemade B&B products, but its something that has been weighing on me more heavily. I really want to make a great exfoliant, for personal use. I'm in my thirties now and I've recently noticed that my skin isn't as effortlessly smooth as it was even a year ago. Of course, it's also cold out now, and our house has forced air heat, but regardless.
Any ideas? I was thinking maybe something with pineapple, or would that not work?
Any suggestions appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michelle
www.myspace.com/butterfliesandbirdleaves

"No regrets, that's my motto. Well... that and everybody Wang Chung tonight."
Menkie
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007 02:32:35 PM »

well if you have normal to oily skin I would try plain yogert mixed with finely crushed almonds (as fine as you can get it)or I have even used sugar with plain yogert and honey.another good one in mashed papaya just smear it on leave for a few minutes and wipe off. Personally I like scrubs better though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
My House Boutique

"Where Life is Handmade and Heart-Loved."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007 10:12:22 PM »

www.thesage.com has a lot of exfoliants you could try, from raspberry seeds to powered walnut shells. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmmyFNWL
Craftista

Rub a dub dub

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007 03:32:33 PM »

The best exfoliants for the face, especially when you get past 25, are gentle ones. You are better off using a gentle scrub more often, than a harsh one once in a while.  If you'd like to make something easy at home, I would suggest trying some plain yogurt mixed with fine oatmeal (powdered - you can use baby oatmeal too) You can even leave it on your face for a few minutes to really let the lactic acid gently exfoliate.

If you like, you can also look into some ingredients that you'd need to order online. Adzuki Bean powder makes a nice scrub, and it can be mixed with water whenever you are ready to scrub.

I am also a big fan of antioxidant rich facial oils! Rosehip Oil and fruit seed oils are great on the face. They penetrate the skin easily, brighten skin, and keep it nice, smooth and supple. Great for grown up skin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Natural Skin Care Recipes, Articles, & More on my Blog:
http://www.naturalbeautyworkshop.com

FromNatureWithLove.com - Over one thousand ingredients for skincare and soap making.
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com

Craftsters get 7% off at checkout using discount code: CRFTR584
jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007 04:57:09 AM »

Actually pineapple does have a natural citric acid so it would exfoliate your skin. I've never seen any recipes for it but yah it could work. Milk, apples, grapes, pineapple, all have natural acids that can gently exfoliate without all the harsh rubbing. And those St Ives products NOOO way too harsh for your skin. You really only need to do this once a week at most. Any more can be cause for skin damage ie broken cappilaries more rough skin, sensitized skin. I would get fresh pineapple although that'll be hard since its winter now. Cut it squish the juice out of it soak those flat cotton rounds in it and rub it gently on your face for a minute or two. If you feel pain then rinse in cold water immediately and if it still hurts apply 1 part water = 1 part baking soda to another cloth and apply to face- this will neutralize your skin back to normal and leave on for a few minutes. If your face is sensitive after that you can take some COOl chamomile tea ( you can use this whenever really ie after a day in the sun or if your skin is sens for whatever reason ie wind chapped or so on )  and apply to skin in the same manner.
Also pumpkin is a good exfoliant too. Here's a link that has some homade recipes.
http://allnaturalbeauty.us/hbr_ingredients.htm#cucumber%20recipes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
Urthshaper
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007 11:05:29 AM »

I had really good luck with a mix of powdered oatmeal and lavender flowers (I run both through a coffee grinder), mixed with a little warm honey as a treat.  Do up the powder before hand, and mix the honey in to however much you need.  (usually a tablespoon or 2.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
FIRST LOOK: Missoni - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
FIRST LOOK: Blumarine - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
Prada Beauty Trend Fall 2015
VF COLLECTIONS: Alberta Ferretti - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Runway & Interviews
6 Face Masks That Fashion Week Models Swear By
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...