A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bento Swap (Sign Ups 11/20-12/7; Send outs January 7)  (Read 12153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plumpossum
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2007 11:55:32 AM »

Laural: Sure it's funny, because you don't shop at that wal-mart  Cheesy

Kirashii: I'm glad you and your partner have found your connection!  That's awesome.  I cannot even think about food any more, I've been going through this teenaged boy phase where I am just inhaling everything in sight.  I have a cold too, so theoretically I could just eat whatever bland crap happened to be available, but I want like GOOD stuff.  Like ribs.  Or buffalo wings.  Or some freaking hot fudge volcano cake.  OMG or pizza.  Basically I want something fattening. 

Every Christmas we have the grandparents stop by our house to watch our son open Santa's gifts.  I decided that we would do a brunch type thing this year, and I started to look up recipes.  Holy crap you guys.  Brunch should be an everyday meal.  I'm talking prociutto and goat cheese and date tartlets here, folks.  How delicious would that be leftover in a bento box?  Can you imagine your coworkers faces??  Oh or a carmelized onion and herbed cheese focaccia bread thingy dipped in pesto.  Or deep fried mushroom risotto squares dipped in panko crumbs and parmesan.  Or bread pudding with chocolate chips. 

I am really excited about this swap.  I have been going out to lunch way too much lately and need some inspiration to keep making lunches at home. 

Oh one more food idea.  After our wedding last year (a quickie ceremony at the courthouse that we both dreaded every minute of), we stayed at this semi-cheesy castle out in Appalachain Ohio.  For brunch they served this breakfast pie type thing.  Except it was sausage, sage, carmelized onions, then...instead of filling the pan with eggs like you would a fritatta, they baked the whole thing inside of PANCAKE BATTER.  And served it with maple syrup.   Shocked It was fantastic.  The rest of the food was way crappy, but I've tried to make this thing several times since.  I don't think I've got it exactly right yet, but it is very good reheated and makes lovely bento fare.  When you make the original thing, you basically just take the pre-cooked breakfast sausage crumbled, ripped sage, carmelized onions (diced, and carmelized in lots and lots of real butter), fold it into a bowl of pancake batter, and then pop it in the oven at 350 until it isn't jiggly (or I guess you could eat it jiggly if you were into that kind of thing...).  Spoon it out and serve it hot with syrup.

Anyone else have a holiday-rific/leftover-rific bento recipe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2007 12:12:28 PM »

Yay I'm so excited! I just ordered and received at least two things from JList that my partner has specifically requested!! I can order them again for myself after the holidays. Whoo hoo!

Laural: Sure it's funny, because you don't shop at that wal-mart  Cheesy

It's probably so funny because I used to work at Wal-Mart and my husband still does. I was a customer service manager (they used to wear the red vests and they run around to the cashiers with the blinky lights and deal with angry people) At my store people were notorious for flushing, or attempting to flush, paper towels down the toilet up front where there are only 3 toilets. One day, very close to Christmas, I had to call the maintenance person three times because someone had tried to do this. Luckily it was only No. 1 in there with the paper towels. They never came because they had gone home sick. I finally got sick and tired of trying to find someone appropriate to take care of it. I grabbed a plastic bag from one of the cashiers, put it over my arm, went in and grabbed the wad of paper towels. Then I pulled the plastic bag down over the towels so I got nothing on my hands. I threw it in the trash and scrubbed the heck out of my hands and arms. I did get a cheer from the long line and found out later that someone told a manager about my "good customer service"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2007 12:35:07 PM »

I finally got sick and tired of trying to find someone appropriate to take care of it. I grabbed a plastic bag from one of the cashiers, put it over my arm, went in and grabbed the wad of paper towels. Then I pulled the plastic bag down over the towels so I got nothing on my hands. I threw it in the trash and scrubbed the heck out of my hands and arms. I did get a cheer from the long line and found out later that someone told a manager about my "good customer service"
...bento doesn't sound so good anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
plumpossum
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2007 01:08:42 PM »

oh I remembered the other ingredient in the sausage/pancake/syrup casserole thingy.  Sharp cheddar.  Sprinkled on the top and melted.  I know, maple syrup, cheddar cheese, and sausage.  It doesn't sound right.  But it is, I swear.

Laural, you should've gotten a bonus check for risking life and limb in the wal-mart toilet.  That's dedication.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissNewEngland
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2007 05:24:06 PM »

Does anyone have any cool ideas for bento crafts?  I'm brainstorming over here.........

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for Personal Swaps!

http://www.TTRstudio.etsy.com
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2007 07:26:18 PM »

Me too, Miss New England! I have tons of ideas for fun stuff for bentos, but I can only think of two things to make. That wasn't a problem until this evening, when I found an even more perfect pre-made thing for one of the things I'm making! Er, sorry to be so incredibly vague, but I don't want to give it away... Anyway, if anyone has some great ideas, post them here, or perhaps message me and Miss New England if you don't want your partner to know what you're giving.

Oh, and number one rule for shopping for bento: go to the dollar store first - I totally hit the jackpot there! I mean, I had to put things back, and it was the dollar store - it's not like you often can spend a fortune there! And it was fun stuff, too, not just cheap stuff. Woohoo! If you have a Dollar Tree near you and need ideas and you're not Kirashii Wink just message me.

Plus I totally had the most perfect idea ever. The friend I dragged along shopping with me is close to my swap partner's age, and I asked her about it, and she laughed and said that was fantastic.

Again with the vagueness. Man, I haven't been this excited since... er, well, I'm not sure. I was just telling someone recently that the last few years I get so much more excited over what I'm giving, that I won't think about what I'm getting until the last minute, and then I have had no time to ponder the possibilities, so I get that much more pleased and surprised. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Kirashii
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2007 08:56:24 PM »

AHHH! It's creepy, we ARE soulmates Orrkid! I went shopping at the dollar store, too! Ours is a little lame so I only found one thing, but that one thing made me SO happy Tongue I can't wait Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Kira
<3
Pop my Personal Swap Cherry! Interested in Personal Swaps!
My wists
plumpossum
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2007 02:13:33 AM »

Allow me to be vague a moment also:
"Think Outside The Bento"

You don't necessarily have to make things used for containing foodstuffs, considering the difficulty in making things that are foodsafe. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2007 05:15:06 PM »

augh!  found some cute stuff for the swap...but i almost don't want to give it away!   Embarrassed
also, stopped by one of the local Dollar Trees and found a bento-esque container.  does anyone have pictures of their dollar-store bento finds?  i'm curious about what you all found.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #109 on: December 14, 2007 11:03:31 AM »

http://flickr.com/photos/12255532@N04/sets/72157601696565154/

Wow, I really need to update my bento section! I really need to add the assembled mini BLTs. Smiley I was going through my photos just last night, so I can see there's a lot missing.

Anyway, the green and blue bentos were Dollar Tree finds. There is also a pink one with a castle that is not pictured. Unfortunately I haven't found any lately. When I found the Hello Kitty ones, I bought all the ones they had that were in decent shape. I noticed a sign at the Dollar Tree recently that if you need something in bulk, you can ask and they will help you order it. Sorry I can't tell you more; I just saw it in passing.

But yeah, those are my Dollar Tree bentos. My favorite is the non-Dollar Tree bunny one. It cost quite a bit, but it was worth it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 1/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 4/10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...