A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,533
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drink Can Pendants And Cuffs ( New pictures on page 9)  (Read 60920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dgigout
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2010 09:15:51 AM »

if y'all start another thread about this, please post the link here so we can find it  Smiley

I was just messing around with a can to see if I could get the "fold" this looks pretty close huh?

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010 09:33:30 AM by dgigout » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2010 09:41:07 AM »

That does look good, dgigout! Much better than my attempt (which I just found and need to photograph)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
wheatac
« Reply #152 on: March 27, 2011 11:02:43 AM »

amazing - beautifully designed and photos really capture your work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistressH
glue gun weilding cowgirl

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2011 12:23:51 PM »

I actually work for a drinks company and want some jewelry for work, the original design in this thread is a bit metally for me so going to do my own thang with Gimp I think.... watch this space!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PeachieClean
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2011 06:18:51 PM »

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but if you look at the bottom of the pendant in some of the pictures (Particularly the DA pics) it looks like it's just folded repeatedly.  That would be more than enough to keep the can piece in the sheet metal.  It doesn't look like it was cut much larger than the can to me though. It just looks like she lined them up, folded twice on each side and was done with it.  This would work for the bracelet (And explain the fold) if you do half in the twice-folded and half only once.  As for the ends, the frame idea made more than enough sense.  If you could get it all to line up nicely, possibly even fuse the sheet metal in some way, then you'd come up with something at least similar.

(Note about the "fold once" part.  If you're going to do that, you will want to fold an edge over the aluminum can to keep it from being sharp and keep it all looking nice.  It could also be two and three folds, rather than one and two.  I guess two and three makes more sense.)

-Desi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My boyfriend is holding a Pokemon themed contest.  Interested?  http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.359328020778498.82645.352681428109824&type=1
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: June 14, 2011 06:42:10 AM »

I'm thrilled to see that this thread is being revived.

I agree that the "frame" idea is the most likely.

Let's put our heads together on this one and knock out this tutorial ourselves.

I'll see what I can put together tonight, and will attempt some "in process" type pics.

I think I understand the wavy "fold" type thing in the center. It's the same way you "fold" a pie crust to make those little wavy ridgey bumps (technical term). If I can figure out how to make my cam take a short video, I'll try to capture and post it.

Onward, Creativity Mavens!
~CD~

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: June 14, 2011 08:11:08 AM »

CAN PENDANT - ROUGH TUTORIAL

Ok, crafty chicas, check it out.

Here's what you're gonna need:
  • Cool looking aluminum can (for the insert)
  • Ordinary aluminum can (for the "frame")
  • ordinary scissors
  • tin ships
  • metal ruler
  • ordinary hole puncher
  • ordinary can opener
  • tiny Gandalf figure for luck (optional)
  • patience

Here we go!

1.  Use you can opener to nip off the bottom and top of your soda can. This makes life much easier. Trust me. And bonus -- if you do it just right, I am 90% sure the bottom of the can could make a perfect backing for some cool resiny-goodness at some point in the future!

2.  Snip that baby all the way down. I found tin snips in my garage. Maybe you'll find some there, too. Failing that, you could try the scissors, but the very top and very bottom of the cans are extra thick, so you might not have great luck with that. If you're gonna try it anyway, watch your fingers. This stuff is sharp. It's not POISON and it won't reach out and slit you, but you have to be smart about it.

3.  IMPORTANT TIP: Snip off each of the edges so you have nice clean edges. Don't leave the jaggedy edges assuming you won't accidentally cut yourself on them. Again, trust me on this one. Your goal here, too, is to get this piece to lay flat, so you need to snip off enough of each long edge to get rid of the remaining roundness of the can's ends.

4.  Roll your flat piece so the unprinted side is on the outside of the roll. This will make it lay flat and make it easier to measure. I didn't take a picture of this part, but it's pretty straightforward.

5.  Measure. I used 3/8" for my fold size, and folded over twice. Figure out how wide you want your insert (the pretty part that shows) to be. Multiply your desired frame size side by 6, and then add that to your insert size. That will allow you to fold each edge over twice and leave you the proper amount in the middle. SO - if your bit that shows is 1" wide, and you want your sides of the frame to be 3/8" wide, you're going to need the width of your backing piece (the one you're going to fold to make the "frame") to be 1" + 2 1/4" = 3 1/4". I'll re-do this math again later, but I'm pretty sure that's right. When I did it, I kinda eyeballed it, but math is good, too.

6.  Use your metal ruler to make your folds along the sides. You can do this with your hands, but I found that a straight metal edge is much more efficient. You need to make two folds (of 3/8" in the example shown) along each side.

7.  Find the part of the can that appeals to you and snip it out. Slide it into your frame.

8.  Snip off the excess

9.  Punch a hole in the top, and VOILA!

Let's see yours!

~CD~

p.s. I'm thinking a longer version of the above would work just fine for the bracelet. After you're done, you just shape it around a mandrel (or anything roundish of the appropriate size), and you've got your bracelet.

p.p.s. Will be working on the "fold" later this week.

p.p.p.s. I may suck it up and buy one of those cool rivet-making tools. A few fancy rivets would really jazz these up.

p.p.p.p.s. Some sort of protective edging for the ends of the bracelet would probably be a good plan. I'll have to think about that one.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011 01:11:05 PM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #157 on: June 14, 2011 03:40:48 PM »

Awesome job, crazydoc! So the insert doesn't slide out? I was trying to fold both together, and wasn't having much luck.

And, would filing the "raw" edge work? i don't have much experience working with metals...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2011 04:53:15 PM »

Awesome job, crazydoc! So the insert doesn't slide out? I was trying to fold both together, and wasn't having much luck.

And, would filing the "raw" edge work? i don't have much experience working with metals...

The insert seems pretty secure, but it might be worth looking into what sort of glue is appropriate for bonding metal to metal.

Filing the raw edge may indeed be very effective. It's not super sharp, but just to be double safe, it should probably be either filed or edged in some fashion.

The hubby and I went to the grocery store tonight specifically to find some cool looking beverage cans. How many people choose their beverages by the designs on the can, do you think? LOL! I found a couple of really neat ones.

Here's a longer version I'll bend into a bracelet later. I think I'll make the top/bottom frame sides more narrow next time. I also folded over the ends to make them less rough. It's far from perfect, but it's a start!

We're making progress!

~CD~
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011 07:02:03 PM by crazydoc » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2011 07:15:04 PM »

Crazydoc, it looks spiffy. Thanks for doing the math and measuring-I suck at both, and end up winging it a lot. As for any possible sharp edge on the top and bottom of the pretty insert piece-why not cut it slightly longer, and do one simple fold, top and bottom, before sliding it in the frame? You know-it's laying flat, pretty side up. Turn the top bit down a quarter inch or so, to fold down against the back, repeat with the bottom edge.
You could glue a wire loop-heck, even a pop tab! against the back of the pendant if you didn't want to punch a hole at the top.
Maybe add a fold to the top and bottom of the frame piece before you start folding the sides, too-unless it'd make it too bulky and hard to mess with.
Can't describe what I mean very well...but your pendant looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pull Off a Denim Vest This Summer
How to Dress down an Outfit with a Jean Jacket
Trend Report - Blanket Coats
Trend Takeout: Ugly Sweaters
Trend Takeout: Oversized Sweaters
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...