A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Drink Can Pendants And Cuffs ( New pictures on page 9)  (Read 56788 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovleeleigh
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2010 06:56:01 AM »

Love these... you did a fabo job!

In case any one is still watching this I found a pendant tut online... no step-by-step pics though Sad Hope it's still usefull to some!

http://www.bhg.com/crafts/beads/jewelry/can-do-recycled-necklace/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #131 on: August 01, 2010 09:29:03 AM »

Thanks for that link! At least I'll be able to do something with the cans I've saved. Wink The original poster mentioned that she used sheets of aluminum (aluminum alloy sheets) and I have no idea where to get those, so my attempts at this have been sitting on the back burner...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010 09:32:59 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
crazydoc
"Never, ever give up" - Winston Churchill "Never, ever grow up" - Dr. Seuss

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 01, 2010 10:06:14 AM »

I've been thinking about this for a long time, too.

I know you can get the aluminum sheet at places like Monster-Slayer.com

Strangely enough, I saw an episode of Man vs. Food that gave me an idea for how she created the "fold' type thing along the edges. It may be done the same way you "fold" the edges or pizza or pie crust. It's hard to explain. I'll see if I can find the episode.

I also wondered if decorative rivets might make adhering the aluminum can to the sturdier background more do-able.

One other thought I've had is the use of aluminum TAPE for the sides.

I've saved up about a bazillion cans to work on this project, too.

I have some tin snips, but they were terribly bulky. I'm going to order some "nibblers" (they're smaller and easier to work with, supposedly).

I hope those of us who have long had an interest in this project can put out collective heads together and figure this out.

Perhaps, as a group, we can create our own tutorial.

I'm up for the challenge.

How about you?

~CD~

p.s. Another thought I had on this was to combine the tutorial here I saw with using aluminum cans to make sort of a "frame" for a playing card. Instead of a square shape, however, the shape would be a very long thinnish rectangle, and instead of putting a card in the opening of the "frame", it would be yet another piece of aluminum can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shhhhhhhhh...it's Strictly Top Secret...
strictlytopsecret.etsy.com
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2010 10:18:58 AM »

I did just see a post somewhere (not sure if it was on Craftster, though) where someone used aluminum tape to make a bangle bracelet, and I had the same thought. I forgot to get some at the hardware store the other day, but it's worth a try!

I'll have to check out that site to see about getting the sheets of aluminum. I would love to be able to figure this out, and since the original poster figured it out by looking at a photo, there's no reason we can't. And, I agree, the bracelet looks like the edges have been rolled and flattened (probably the layer of the can and the layer of the aluminum alloy sheet). I wonder if the aluminum alloy sheet was slightly wider?

ETA: I just checked and they don't have aluminum sheets (gold, silver, nickel and brass). Maybe I'll pop on over to the hardware store tomorrow afternoon and see if they have any tape.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010 10:28:02 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2010 02:26:55 PM »

There is the aluminum flashing that can be bought at hardware stores that I know DH uses for some projects for his business, but I do not know how hard it is.  I am sure that I have seen aluminum tape in the car care departments of hardwares, and possibly used on duct work too.  There is also embossing kits that have sheets of the various metals too , but am not sure how sturdy that is.  What about using aluminum tape or the embossing stuff to make the decorative frame and then something to back it or to put inside to make a sturdier product - wood, plastic, etc?

I like the idea of the rivets, but have thought about strong adhesives too, thinking the drink can was framed in the alloy too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2010 02:56:26 PM »

If I recall correctly, I think the ones she sold were backed in sterling silver, were they not?

I wonder if the adhesives between the aluminum can and the backing (of the flashing or the sheet silver or other) would even be necessary if the edging itself were "folded over" such that the two pieces were caught between them.

Let me see if I can find the other tutorial I was thinking of adapting to knock out one of these beauties. I know it was here on Craftster, that it used aluminum cans, and that it was a frame-like idea.

-brb-

~CD~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazydoc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2010 03:01:41 PM »

Here's the link to the tutorial I thought could be adapted to at least knock out a prototype:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=177201.0

We would just need to:

• make the shape an elongated rectangle rather than a square
  • use the strip of aluminum can as the interior (within the frame) rather than a playing card
  • fold the edges of the frame the other direction so the aluminum part shows, rather than the printing

Your thoughts?

~CD~

p.s. It might also be cool to knock out a bunch of those as smaller squares, showing only a certain bit of the can (I'm thinking the pepsi symbol), and then linking them together with jump rings (punch a couple of holes in the edging). It would be neat, also, to make the linked frames and then display one letter of each of the soda cans within it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2010 03:41:37 PM »

If I recall correctly, I think the ones she sold were backed in sterling silver, were they not?

I ordered 2 sets from her (1 as a gift, and 1 for me) but they never arrived, and now I can't remember. They look shinier and smoother than aluminum in the pictures, so maybe they were silver. She posted that she used aluminum alloy sheets in some way, so I just assumed it was the backing. The price of the silver sheet is out of my price range, unfortunately...

I wonder if the adhesives between the aluminum can and the backing (of the flashing or the sheet silver or other) would even be necessary if the edging itself were "folded over" such that the two pieces were caught between them.

That's why I was wondering if the backing piece was a bit wider- if it was folder over and "crimped" first, and then the 2 layers were folded over again together. Do you think the edge of the can would cut through the aluminum tape? On my way home tomorrow afternoon I am definitely stopping at the hardware store!

Let me see if I can find the other tutorial I was thinking of adapting to knock out one of these beauties. I know it was here on Craftster, that it used aluminum cans, and that it was a frame-like idea.

-brb-

~CD~

I hadn't seen that tutorial before- thanks for posting it! And, I like the idea of linking smaller squares together (although, I'm a Coke fan, myself Wink ). I really want to try this now! But, I have other things to tackle first (although I keep getting distracted), so maybe I should just get off of the computer and do them Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2010 08:34:50 PM »

I was thinking thin tapered rectangles, in graduated sizes, with side links, to make a collar type necklace would be neat, of one image separated.

I was thinking aluminum also for the $$$ factor, while we are experimenting, and probably adhesives would not be needed if it was a tight enough frame, but I thought it would be neat also to put a layer of resin or something similar over top for that kind of enameled look to and to protect from scratches, since some of those decorated cans can have the paint scratched off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2010 10:48:57 AM »

Tapered rectangles would be neat for a necklace! I wonder how the resin would adhere to the aluminum? I've never worked with resin before, so I have no idea.

And, I went to Home Depot and asked about aluminum tape. The gal I asked had no idea what I was talking about. Funny thing is, I think I have some already (lost in the craft disaster area at the moment) and I'm pretty sure I bought it at HD. Next time, I'll ask someone else... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Peter Ames Carlin on His New Bruce Springsteen Biography
BeBe Winans on His Book The Whitney I Knew
Eben Alexander Discusses His "Journey Into the Afterlife"
"CHEAT: A Man’s Guide to Infidelity" Infomercial
Annie Lederman Interviews Joe DeRosa on Cheat
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...