A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,793
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my new baby Lendrum  (Read 1478 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2007 10:10:38 PM »

so for Christmas my amazing parents are getting me an amazing gift that is making me squeal whenever I think of it:
a maple, single treadle Lendrum folding wheel...the seller is throwing in all sorts of amazing goodies too, yay!

However, I realized I know like, nothing, zero, zilch about spinning wheels. I live in southern Louisiana and have not been able to find any spinners or folks who know much about fibers/wheels that live close by...[sheep farming is not a big hobby down here in the swamp.  Wink]

I would love some recommendations on books to get me acquainted with my new best friend...like, what the heck is a maiden? or a flyer?
without a visual guide this see-it-believe-it-girl is lost.
a website with lots of lovely explanations would be equally helpful! I've checked a few places but can't find much on castle style wheels.

Thanks for any help you're able to give! I can't wait to post new yarns from my toy....i'm already imagining how much it will travel, since it conveniently fits in a suitcase...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007 01:05:29 PM »

Congrats on your new wheel!!

So...maybe I can help!  It's been a slow day at the office, so I found a Lendrum pic and put this together:

And a chart (not mine...stolen from a web page, but tinkered with a bit):

A. Fly Wheel The wheel that rotates when treadling and causes the other various parts to operate.
B. Drive Band A cord that goes around the fly wheel and the flyer whorl.
C. Flyer A U-shaped piece of wood with hooks lined up on one or both arms. The hooks are used to store the yarn evenly on the bobbin. The flyer is rotated by the drive band which as a result puts the twist into the fiber.
D. Maidens The upright posts that hold the flyer and the bobbin.
E. Mother-Of-All The bar that mounts the maidens, flyer, bobbin, and tension knob.
F. Tension Knob Used to adjust the tension of the drive band or the brake band, depending on the wheel.
G. Bobbin Rotates on the spindle along with the flyer and stores the yarn. It can operate with or independent of the drive band.
H. Treadle The pedal(s) that operates the wheel by using your feet.
I. Footman The bar the connects the treadle to the fly wheel and causes it to turn.
J. Orifice The opening at the end of the spindle where the yarn goes through to connect to the hooks of the flyer.

Make sense?   Grin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007 01:09:47 PM by nicolassa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Tinkerbellforever

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007 02:26:23 PM »

yay! thank you so much!
that actually helps a lot. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nicolassa

How do you like my lovely hat?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007 02:44:25 PM »

no problem!

Have fun getting to know (and love) your wheel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's me with some yarn on my head.

Etsyness:  http://WhirligigYarns.etsy.com

Bloggity:  http://whirligigyarns.blogspot.com
Tinkerbellforever

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007 05:39:38 PM »

Woe is me!

the wheel arrived a couple of days ago...we were going to save it for Christmas, but mom wanted to unpack it to make sure it was all okay.

The maiden broke off the mother of all during shipping!
We're researching the insurance we bought for shipping and how to get it repaired...but i'm so sad. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandalinn
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007 10:35:23 AM »

Woe is me!

the wheel arrived a couple of days ago...we were going to save it for Christmas, but mom wanted to unpack it to make sure it was all okay.

The maiden broke off the mother of all during shipping!
We're researching the insurance we bought for shipping and how to get it repaired...but i'm so sad. Sad

That happened to my Lendrum when I first got it too, it really stinks. I hope you get it fixed quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Manda

***I would love to do personal swaps, PM me if interested!***

My Blog:  Mandalinn Knits 'n Spins
My Etsy Shop!!
OnePlanet
One Planet Yarn and Fiber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007 12:10:59 PM »

Hi, I just wanted to let you know how much I LOVE my Lendrum.  I am so sorry yours arrived with a broken part! I hope you get that fixed right away because really you will love this wheel! I have never regretted my purchase!  I do have a double treadle but sometimes I wish I would have gotten a single.  It is just personal preference and wow, some people feel SO strongly about one or the other......

I have bought a few of the other flyers too which you might want to look into once you are more comfortable.  I have to say though, that I don't use them too much. I bought the one for plying which has a big oriface. If I was to start spinning lace, then maybe I would get the lace flyer, but I am really happy.

GOOD LUCK! Lis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feralfeminine
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007 12:50:22 PM »

I love my Lendrum too...it's so versatile! I got the double treadle complete, which came with the plying head and the lace flyer along with the regular one. I love how easy it is to switch the flyers around (I switch back and forth between the regular & bulky all the time), and the plying head has a huge orifice for spinning super bulky art yarns. My last wheel was a single treadle, and I'm glad I got the double treadle since it gives me a little more control - and you can always just treadle with one foot. It is funny how strongly some people feel about single vs. double treadle! I dunno, I haven't found it to make much difference one way or the other.

I hope your wheel gets fixed soon...have fun playing around with it! I learned how to spin on a wheel almost completely by trial-and-error, so it's possible to figure it out on your own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fiberwish

Wool Today...Yarn Tomorrow!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007 02:07:16 PM »

U R GONNA LUV IT!!!

I know I sure do love mine! Grin

And it is SUCH a versatile wheel, the possibilities are literally endless.  I hope you get yours soon and then you can share in all the joy of being the proud mommie of a beautiful spinning wheel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sebastian Copeland on the Beauty in Photography
How to Bling your photos
Man Turns Damaged Tree Into A Magnificent Work of Art
Jeff Koons on How Art Enlightens Him
The Future of Aesthetics with Dale Chihuly
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...