A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beads, beads, beads  (Read 2365 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewidarity

Nobody knows the tribbles I've sewn...

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2007 06:08:55 PM »

Just went to The Bead Warehouse in Silver Spring - normally they're wholesale only, but they sometimes have days where normal mortals can shop there. I liked it a LOT - prices range from decent to extremely good.

Good things: bags of interesting glass beads (cheap in quantity), semi-precious stones, millefiori, fiberoptic and magnetic hematite beads, findings in large quantities. Miscellaneous interesting things like a small bin of vintage trade beads, and some vintage Czech, and trace quantities of dichroic and shell. There were some things which, to judge from the price, must've been real live freshwater pearls. Didn't see any lampwork. You have to be willing to sort of paw through bins to find stuff.

To get there, if you don't have a car, you take the bus from Silver Spring metro out to a grungy industrial neighborhood, where the store is hidden in an industrial building next to a sign that says "Marvin Schwab" rather than "The Bead Warehouse." Marvin was there - nice guy. I'd recommend going earlier in the day, because otherwise, if the bus is 40 minutes late, you'll get stuck waiting in the cold and dark (although in my case this worked out fine; I met some lovely folks and we all bonded by bilingually agreeing that the bus lateness sucked).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dammit, Jim, I'm a crafter, not a photographer!
twowishes

I am the warden of PUPPY JAIL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007 09:15:55 PM »

Wow, sounds worth a visit!  How do you find out about their "mortal days"?  (Feel free to message me next time -- not to deprive you of the bonding time at the bus stop, but we could carpool!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So I finally started a blog.... 
ChrisSews
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007 02:19:41 PM »

I use to visit this place quite a bit when I lived up in Silver Spring.  They have a ton of cool beads.  Prices seem to be all over the place.  Some great deals and some things kinda pricey.  Tons of variety though.  They have everything from cheap glass beads to precious stones.  The place is usually packed and there are tons of baskets with all kinds of beads to sort through so it can have a treasure-hunt quality. 

Marvin does alot of trade shows and travels alot.  His open hours change every month depending upon his schedule.  You can find a clanader on his website http://www.thebeadwarehouse.com/ to find out when he's open.  You can also call him and request an appointment.  If you make a appointment you are required to spend at least $200 on beads.  If you spend alot on bead and supplies or have a couple of friends who go in together this is another option for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my projects, ideas, and swap wish list at...
http://pinterest.com/cmsargent/
circus

BIKES BABIES AND BEER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007 10:30:46 PM »

Good to know! My parents live a few blocks away from there and I know my mom was talking about going (if she hasn't already). I'm definitely going to point out this thread to her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look from Jason Wu Spring 2014
Get the Look from Michael Kors Spring 2014
Get the Look from Marc Jacobs Spring 2014
Get the Look from Gucci Spring 2014
Get the Look from Prada Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...