A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,362
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: If you could only knit ONE item.....  (Read 993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tribe
« on: November 19, 2007 09:08:53 AM »

I had this planned out, our Christmas party i was going to recon an old prom dress into a new snazzy shorter length party dress and knit a shrug to go with it. But we got word the dress code is dressy casual rather than semi-formal soooooooo no use for the recon dress.

Now my dilemma is I can either
A) buy a more casual style sleeveless dress to wear with shrug I was going to make
B) knit a top and forgo the shrug
C) knit a skirt and make a shawl, buy a top
D) knit a dress

But I only have a little more than 4 weeks, not a big stash and no idea if any of its worth it other than knowing I want to go in at least 1 thing I made (and would you wear more than 1 hand knit item? it seems kind of weird but I dunno)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
syrlig
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007 01:32:56 PM »

If you have decided on pattern and yarn Id do A.

If not B of the simple reason that I hate stress-making stuff just for this one occasion. Then it normally isnt finished in time and even if it is there is so many things I wish Id do differently if I had the time and I end up feeling miserable.

Dont you have any other knit items you could wear if its important to you? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I collect the pieces of insight I find on the street and sew them into a quilt of understanding.
eatyerhartout
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007 10:39:55 PM »

If it were me, I'd aim for the shrug. I'm not the world's fastest knitter and knowing I have to make something by a set date only seems to slow me down (it seems no matter how much I love something, once it stops being 'because I feel like it' and becomes a chore, the thing doesn't happen...).

I agree. I think A's your best bet for getting something you'll really love within the time-span available. If you don't like this idea, you could always make a small wrap/shawl. Maybe with some chunky yarn from your stash? Or even a short-sleeved cardi? And I think one hand-knit item would be enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
funkyflower
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007 02:30:04 AM »

it depends on what you'd use the knitted item for afterwards...

i made snowwhite which is my - "i want to dress up a bit, be warm and gloat that i knitted it" item... i'll get more use out of it than a shrug-but if you'll use a shrug lots....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tribe
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007 09:44:40 AM »

I probably wont wear the shrug and possibly the dress I will buy for it again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007 10:47:08 AM »

Ouch.

Knit a top. If it's basic enough, you can crank it out in 4 weeks. But what sort of top?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007 07:23:11 PM »

But I only have a little more than 4 weeks, not a big stash and no idea if any of its worth it other than knowing I want to go in at least 1 thing I made (and would you wear more than 1 hand knit item? it seems kind of weird but I dunno)

Well once I get my handknit socks, jacket and/or sweater, gloves, hat, etc on that is more than 1!  For a dance though, maybe not so much.

What about knitting a clutch of some sort?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Tribe
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2007 07:30:38 PM »

Ouch.

Knit a top. If it's basic enough, you can crank it out in 4 weeks. But what sort of top?

I did the cabled sweater (keridianna) in about a week, maybe less. The dress code is dressy casual so nothing fancy but...well hell I own jeans and basic T's LOL so no matter what I am going to end up having to purchase something. Maybe I'll just stick with the shrug/dress and make a reason to wear them again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Indonesian Beef Stew
How to Make Thai Chicken Pizza
How to Make Kimchi with Chef Judy Joo
Pho Recipe
How to Make Asian Ribs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...