A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Directory of Crochet Stitches?  (Read 965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

plumpossum
« on: November 19, 2007 04:51:47 AM »

OK, so I inherited three crocheted afghans from my dear great grandma.  I have had these things forever.  They have been ridiculously loved.  They also have been ridiculously abused.  All 3 have large holes in them.  One afghan I know is granny squares, and the other two, I believe, are hairpin stitch? lace?  They are basically long hole-y rows, with solid rows running along them.  Anyway, all of them are in desperate need of repair.

The dilemma is that I am a knitter.  I can crochet a chain.  That's it.  But I'm willing to learn so that I can fix these things.

I'm hoping to find a website or even a book I could borrow from the library that is a visual guide to crochet stitches.  I'd like to have photographs or a video show me what exactly is going on with these afghans so I can repair them (two of the holes are in cream colored acrylic, and one of the holes is in black acrylic- at least that part will be easy).  The way the holes run, I could easily just weave in a length of yarn and call it a day, but I'd like to make it look the way it is supposed to, you know?  Especially because the worst of the holes is roughly four feet long. 

So does anyone have any suggestions for super dumbed down step by step websites or books that would show me a.) a plethora of stitches b.) how to do them?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bel0314
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007 11:56:14 AM »

crochetpatterncentral.com has compiled a bunch of stitches: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/instruction_directory.php

There's even a "how to repair crochet" link you might find useful.

I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plumpossum
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007 01:39:58 PM »

YES! perfect.  And it was hairpin stitch.  I even remember my grandma using that funky hairpin needle device.  Brilliant!

Thanks a million.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Bean Bag
How to Create a Paper Airplane
How to Create Dangerous Looking Paper Airplanes
How to Make a Classic Dart
How to Create a Buttonhole
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...