A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rubicks Cube Endtable  (Read 9165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lglass
« on: November 18, 2007 10:17:52 PM »

I wasn't really sure where to post this one.  I did this for my 3d design class. The project was to construct a functional piece of furniture based on a toy.  We had to use wood and this is my very first experience using the wood shop, which I now LOVE!  (Thank God for wood putty though!!!)

We made these in pairs, but my partner was nice enough to let me keep it.  So my piece was inspired by a rubick's cube, and I really wanted movable parts, so we installed a lazy susan between the first and second layers, which was a little tricky.  So after a whole lot of trouble and a few mistakes, it was a good thing we didn't try to make all 3 layers spin. 

Anyway, it is only INSPIRED by the rubicks cube, not meant to copy it.  A lot of critiques in class were that it wasn't colored, and that they couldn't immediately tell what the toy was.... seriously? anyway, it's probably better that it's not immediately recognizable, because that means we did the project right.  Also I was afraid if we did colors it might get a little tacky.

So I pretty much absolutely love it, and I'm already planning more furniture to make for my apartment. 

I've never tried this, but here is a video of the lazy susan in action:
http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff29/lauras_crochet/?action=view&current=PICT0049.flv
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mccafferty
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007 10:23:08 PM »

very nice!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smile, it keeps people wondering
cait92
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007 10:24:39 PM »

That's awsome! It's cool that it opens and spins.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007 10:41:55 PM »

my jaw dropped.... this rocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007 10:42:23 PM »

I've to say, when I saw the picture I automatically thought, 'Oh cool, wooden rubicks cube!' I didn't even realize it was a end table till I saw the post it's self lol you're class is just not in touch with their old school toys.

Very awesome and I think it looks great with the wood not painted. I love the lazy susan, very unique!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 10:49:31 PM »

I'm with aliceownsj00!  When I saw the thumbnail, I thought "what's that wooden rubik's cube?" [click]  That's so awesome that you tackled a new medium on a not-at-all-simple project!  Wood work is good fun and so much easier with access to a woodshop!  And colored?  No way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog, Suddenly Surrounded by Taxidermy: http://suddenlytaxidermy.blogspot.com/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/themistresst
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BubbleOffPlumb & http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreatBigBeautifulDog

2013 Projects Completed: 61
'14: 42 (at least)
'15: 17
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007 11:26:05 PM »

I.. third (?) the opinion that this looks quite a bit like a Rubik's cube.  I think you did an awesome job, and I would totally put this in my apartment (were it not already an overstuffed shoebox).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Samsara
I solemnly swear that I am up to no good..

"I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007 12:03:39 AM »

I love it! I would totally have this in my house. I like that it's functional, and that it turns and that it's wood coloured and not all gaudy!  Grin Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mixi
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007 03:46:15 AM »

i dont know what your class was on, but, even before i read anything, title or story, i knew right away what it was.  but then again, i am an 80's child...  and colour it?  are they on crack?  maybe they just felt they HAD to say something and had nothing left to say.  it is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007 04:16:32 AM »

I completely agree with you on it not being colored.  A) that would have been cheesy.  This is really classy.  B) Yeah--you did the assignment right.  We had something kind of like this where we had to build a birdhouse (for a specific kind of bird) basing the design on an artist.  A lot of people just did a paint job at the end of their project rather than architecturally basing it off the artist's work--even if they were a painter. 

Good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Next-Level Sexy Hair With This Do-It-All Ingredient
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
4 Styling Tips for Thinning Hair
Does It Work: Air Curler
How to Create Retro Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...