A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Roller Derby Girl Costume...gone SERIOUSLY serious BAD (img big un...and gross)  (Read 25487 times)
Tags for this thread: roller_derby  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MyWitsAnd4

do i gnome you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 18, 2007 10:14:18 PM »

[weak stomachs need not scroll down too far]

I crafted the hell out of my costume, then the doctor got to craft the hell out of my ankle.

I stenciled the front and back. Roller Mama.  Miss Arthura T. 13. (here is the back: )) Reconned the whole thing. Skirt from a satin bed ruffle.  nice white leather skates FREE, frikkin, FREE from craigslist.  I had practiced.

We set out with the four sprouts.  Went up and around the block.  I was doing fashionably well.  Four houses from home.  Sprouts whining to get there.  One last house. I skated up onto the slightly sloped driveway. hit a pebble, perhaps. lost balance. foot turned to the outside, leg, well, not so much.  lets just say it was dangling.

BUT...but, all my fellow crafters, I would have made you proud.  calmly, i tell the spouse, i broke my ankle. no, its prolly just twisted. no, really, i heard it snap, i return.  please get me some water and something to splint it with.  he panicked. i remained cool. cucumberish, even.  somehow.
He returns with the car, and a glass of water, and no splint.  did i mention the foot dangled.  so what's a craftster to do?
i removed my elbow pads and fastened them around my ankle and shored it up from ther bottom with one of the knee pads.  on my own thank you very much.

i didnt start crying until we got there and they took some fat old lady back there who was complaining about being hungry who had a little bitty old twisted ankle. HA! 

so.  3 days in the hospital. surgery. plates. pins. screws. staples. lots of staples    nice, huh?
hey at least i have an interesting story!
and a pretty pink cast!

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007 03:29:09 PM by MyWitsAnd4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheera
Weenie-mobile!

OHNOEZ!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007 10:19:51 PM »

Oh good god. Poor girl! I hope you're feelin' better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.bunny-squids.blogspot.com I am terrible at blogging!
mccafferty
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007 10:25:53 PM »

oh my goodness.. seriously my mouth was open when I saw your ankle..poor thing!! hope you are recovering well  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smile, it keeps people wondering
loulou54

If quiz's are quizical, then what are tests?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007 10:29:10 PM »

im so sorry to hear that! i recently had an acident too, but i just took off about a layer of skin from 2 inches above my knee to halfway down my leg. i was in bali and it was 40 degrees celcius!
i hope your better soon!
at least you looked cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt, and guess what's inside it! .
missmeganmisery

Painted Flowers Have No Scent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007 10:37:15 PM »

IM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT!!! i hope your feeling better.
that was a gnarly break.
You looked good though!!
and the fact that you remained calm through it is amazing to me.
when i split my head open and had to get stitches i freaked out so bad i didnt even know what to do. I didnt even decide to call my mom and tell her til thirty minutes later when it wouldnt stop bleeding!!
FEEL BETTER DOLL!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Megan Misery
I do personal swaps. =]

My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/missmeganmisery
TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 10:45:19 PM »

Tough as nails, you are!  My goodness, you could be a real derby girl with your attitude and fortitude.  The menfolk are strange creatures, aren't they?  They'll fend off a saber-toothed tiger, but ask 'em for a splint and you're left to craft your own out of the materials at hand!  Silly boys! 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007 10:50:41 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: typo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

serendipity_sarah
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007 10:45:58 PM »

Ouch!!!   Shocked  Talk about suffering for your art!  I hope you feel better and heal quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007 10:47:31 PM »

omg... o.o that sucks, very much. Amazing how the body can be so strong, but a little fall and break it! You're amazing for not screaming... I cry from paper cuts lol

lol I know popped my knee cap out of socket and torn some tendons by just sitting down on a low bed... ended me in a whole leg cast for 3 weeks. lame!

But atleast you have a very pretty pink cast you can decorate! Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007 11:33:48 PM »

Wow, you're hardcore.  The real shame is that you had such a bad experience, or I would say you should be in roller derby for real.  You're obviously one hell of a tough woman!
The costume is great, anyway.  I especially enjoy the hair rollers and the "roller mama" t-shirt.  Is that a stencil?
I guess this is the med-geek in me, but I can't deny also being fairly impressed with the way your doctor ran a bolt up through your medial malleolus to make a supporting crosspiece and shore up the fibula Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Syringe_Tide
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007 12:18:45 AM »

JESUS CHRIST!!! The distances we go for craftiness?!?!?! More power to you and I hope you feel better! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Selena Gomez Hair Part 2/2
How to Get Selena Gomez Hair Part 1/2
How to Get Miley Cyrus Hair
How to Get Hollywood Glam Hair
How to Get a Side Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...