A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50%+ handmade holiday presents 2007 edition?  (Read 8692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

treegirl1

Eat. Sleep. Folk.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 18, 2007 09:37:36 PM »

I think we should start this up again. Pretty much, you make or reconstruct 50% of your presents this year. Just respond in the topic to join. Here's a link to last year's challenge.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=126234.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faemystique
RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007 09:45:38 PM »

I ve been doing about 75 percent or more handmade for the last three years, and I think it makes me think about my childhood when this was more common.  I only have two other good friends who do this... most people purchase things.  I love having found communities online that support this idea for lessening the huge mass market merchandise that flood us every year after halloween...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shoegazer
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007 06:20:15 AM »

So far I have made a few of these ornaments, I plan on including them in a gift basket. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=206148.0, I learned how to can and made apple butter, Pumkin butter, and Strawberry Margarita Jelly. I will make gift baskets with the jellies, bisket mix, fancy spreading knives and ornaments. Im planning on giving these to coworkers, and family members who love jelly!

For the man in my life I made what I call love tokens. He is at home more than I am and ends up doing almost all of the chores around the house, so out of appriciation of his hard work I made tokens out of sparkle gold fimo clay. I drew a heart in the middle and then around the side wrote things like walk the dog, do the dishes, and a few free hug, and I love you's. They turned out really well. Im also making him a stenciled tee with an image of a vintage bicycle on it. He's really into cycling, so Im sure he will love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007 07:29:54 AM »

This is the first year that I have decided to hand-make as many gifts as I possibly can.
So, I guess that means that I am in .... and pretty excited about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007 08:12:31 AM »

Yup, I'm planning on doing this again this year (even though it nearly became a full time job in the last couple of weeks before Christmas!)

Only problem is I have no idea what I'm making for most people. My boyfriend's sis is getting a lacey scarf (which is nearly done) and his gran is getting a muff (he's getting her some hand warming pads to put in it, so she'll be all warm and cosy!) but otherwise I haven't got a clue!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crocheted Carrot
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007 12:16:11 PM »

I'm totally in! Cheesy

I'm actually looking at about 90% handmade...

Dad- Anarchy Hat from "Happy Hooker"
Uncle- Anarchy Hat from "Happy Hooker"
Best friends- multi-media paintings/collages (Started)
Other Friends- Crocheted Scarves (original patterns- 2/3 done)
Great Grandma- Geisha polymer figurine (started)
Boyfriend- Pot Holders
Cousins, Sister, Bro in Law- Rag dolls (made to look like them)
Other random people- Felt Animals/Monsters

I'd better get to work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laneybug
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007 04:06:45 PM »

I'm in too!  Grin

Here's my list so far:

Fiance: knit earwarmer, IOU booklet with sassy coupons! Wink

Co-workers: paper crane ornaments. I work on a Residential Care Unit at a Rehab & Living Center and I have about 12 coworkers who work on the unit with me, plus my supervisor. Update: I've got the cranes done, I just need to thread them to turn them into ornaments and package them!

Sister: a knit clutch with some goodies in it like lip balm, little lotion, etc. I'll probably buy the stuff to put in the bag. Burt's Bees, I think, since she loves that stuff. Update: Started on the clutch last night. Going smoothly so far!

Brother-in-law: etched shot glass set with his tattoo shop name on them. I'm thinking of making a wine glass set for my sister with some pretty designs, but I'm not sure. I like the knit clutch idea, too.

Erin (my fiance's oldest daughter: beaded necklace.

Sarah (my fiance's youngest daughter: a beaded necklace.

Dylan: handmade wallet with a gift certificate tucked inside.

Jesse: handmade wallet with a gift certificate tucked inside.

Genesis, my cat: matching food/water bowls with hand-painted designs. Poor thing doesn't have a matching set! She used to, but it was for a kitten and now it's too small since she's grown, and so has her appetite!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007 08:34:55 AM by laneybug - Reason: updating » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheGirlin14G
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007 08:01:18 PM »

I'd really like to do the whole 50% homemade thing.. but I think I'll only have time/resources/need for less... it's freshman year of college for me, so everyone wants college gear!

Roommate - pillow and decorated picture frame and a record bowl
Friend 1 - Hello Kitty pillow
Friend 2 - Nightmare Before Christmas wreath (he wanted the one at the Disney Store, but they are sold out pretty much everywhere.. and he's paiting me a scene from Buffy for Christmas ^_^  So I'm making him that).. and probably a record bowl Smiley
Home Friends - Gifts of food.  And possibly thin scarves if I get better at knitting.. because December 17th I get my wisdom teeth out, so I have a lot of sitting around to do... and a college pen for each of them
Sister - taking her to New York... Cheesy
Brother - perhaps a sporty pillow.. other than that no idea!
Dad - college shirt
Mom - college shirt
Aunt - college ornament... and a scarf.. I bought the scarf at ACMoore, does that count?
Cousin - ..not sure.. I made him a record bowl last year and he really liked that... something along those lines..

And then I have a gift exchange thing I find out about tomorrow.. I'll probably buy that though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why do we play with fire?
Why do we run our finger through the flames?
Why do we leave our hand on the stove,
although we know we're in for some pain?

-Marissa-
ryepie
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007 11:01:58 PM »

besides some materials i need to purchase in order to make (and ship) some of my gifts, i am planning on making 95% of it all. and holy smokes, do i ever have a lot to do in such a short amount of time. :/

DEREK (husband)
-not entirely sure...he requested a cock puppet. -__-
-messenger bag, with a lunch bag for work
-i'm buying him rockin ron's ballistech missiles (fastest bearings in the world for his skateboard)
HAYE (2 yr old son)
-mohawk toque
-puppet
-felt board and pieces
-scoodie
-personalized apron
MOM
-personalized tree skirt!
-she has arthritis, so i'm buying her a special knife online that she can hold
AMY (sister)
-sling for her baby
-polymer skellington hemp necklace http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=208529.msg2232114#msg2232114
ANDY (BIL)
?
MATTY (2 months old nephew)
-mini-moopy softie with rattle http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=210167.0
STAN (FIL)
-?
DONNA (MIL)
-stationary with matching envelopes STILL NEEDS STAMPS
JEN (SIL)
-set of 20 personalized bookplates TEMPLATES ARE FINISHED, NEEDS TO BE PRINTED
CLINT (BIL)
-?
MAIA (3 yr old neice)
-dress
BRIGID (best friend)
-tampon death dispenser
-ipod cozyhttp://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=209536.msg2245476#msg2245476
MATT (her new boyf that i don't really know)
-i'm lost on this one. he likes golf? my mom has a gift set that is indian motorcycles with a hat and tees that she said i could give him... :/
LISA (best friend #2)
-feminist pendant out of polymer on hemp necklace (95% done, i need to make the end bead and finish the last couple of inches)http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=208669.msg2233998#msg2233998(http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=209536.msg2245476#msg2245476,
-something for birthing?
GABBO (her husband)
- karl marx book plates TEMPLATES ARE FINISHED, NEEDS TO BE PRINTED
ABI (their 2 year old son/haye's best friend)
-scoodie
-crayon roll
STEVO (housemate/friend) 
-? he also requested a cock puppet. *sigh*
DEAN
-cookies
-personalized grypewater pencil case (his design company)
KALVIN
-cookies
-mix cd
HARV
-cookies
-ipod cozy
NAT
-cookies
-mix cd
TYLER
- cookies
-mix cd

^ these boys are my very best friends...we lived with them until we moved away (last month, about 850 km away) from all our friends actually. brigid and matt are coming to visit on dec 29, so i have until the 2nd to finish all the presents for lisa, gabbo, abi, dean, kalvin, harv, nat, and ty...hoping to get everything done by like. dec 22. minus the cookies :/ maybe i'll get the mix in the freezer. does cookie dough freeze well?

*sigh*
i miss my friends D:
i'm lucky, all the people on my list will love to get handmade gifts! i have 3 other sets of BIL/SIL and 5 other neices and nephews that i doubt i'm going to craft for on my husbands side of the family (maybe the kids if i have time, which i doubt)...i'm only crafting for jen and clint and maia (his side as well) because we have them for secret santa...obviously his family is too big to buy gifts for everyone!
anyways. i should get crafting! lol
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007 10:50:56 AM by ryepie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommamoonbeam
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007 06:36:43 AM »

i'm all ecited after looking and lurking i finally joined and am all in for the homemdae gift stuff...
   i'm planning on making salt dough ornaments which will not only decorate my tree but also be attached to wrapped gifts. i'm also considdering making paper mache' ornaments and or handsewn ornaments depending on how much time i can squeeze into crafting time...
      mom- handmade dream catcher (i just have to finish adding some eathers and beads and it'll be finished...i started with a willow branch that i made into a circle and some hemp and beads, i finally have some feathers all which have been found, not bought)
      connor and declyn- making baby's first cristmas ornaments and sock monkeys (my mom is buying them baby's first christmas stockings, but i will make thier stockings next year). buying plain white onesies and embelishing them, and with luck making them some cute little plaid pants.
      dad and darlene- blowing up a photo or two of the boys and framing them
      grandma and grandpa c.- blowing up a picture or two of the boys and framing them
     cassie- making a stocking, a sock monkey, an ornament and some pepermint bark (she's my "baby" cousin who just got married this year).
     nate(cassie's husband)-making a stocking, a sock monkey, an ornament and some pepermint bark.
     rachael (my sister)-unfortunately, i've bougt her a book, however it is one she needs...."fix it and forget it" (crockpot recipes), although i am thinking of making a gift in a jar (soup and/or buiscuit mix) to accompany it.
    grandma sue- hand handknit scarf (she used to make them for me before her arthritis made it hard to do)
    i still don't know exactly what i'm doing for my nephews, i'll probably have to buy thier gifts.
    i'm also making photo cards with pictures of the little guys...still trying to get some good photos of them for it, but my mom has some cards that you just slide the photos into, so i don't need to order anything just take the photos, print them up...slip into the card/frames and embelish.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Studded Shoes
FIRST LOOK: Antonio Berardi - London Fashion Week Spring 2014
Finding the Perfect Biker Jacket
Style Sound Off: Blake Lively, Nicole Richie, and Victoria Beckham
Gown Trends For Upcoming 2013 Award Show Season
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...