A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit installation art?  (Read 2560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

neggie
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007 10:39:20 AM »

i love it!
my boyfriend came up with a great idea.
to knit like a balloon shaped sack, then blow up the balloon and use watered down elmers glue to keep it stiff. then pop it and add a stick. like those invisible dogs kind of. haha.

so, did you knit like a hat that was closed at both ends? i'm not sure i get it :]

I actually dipped them in sugar water. Because there's a helium shortage, I couldn't fill them and make them actually float, so I just hung them with fishing wire. When the balloons deflate, the knitting will keep its shape, which is pretty cool.

I cast on something like 6 stitches, and then increased from there until it was wide enough, and then knit a few rows with no increases, and then decreased like a hat near the top...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007 09:03:23 PM »

Wow....I was so excited when I saw your thread title.  I JUST finished my senior project for my BFA in sculpture.  Can you guess what it was?  A Knit Installation!  I REALLY need to post pictures of it.  I've taken more than a year off of craftster so I wouldn't be distracted (you guys are really addicting!), but I'm trying to ease my way back in.  I will definitly post pics of it when I finish my thesis. Ha, guess what I'm supposed to be working on right now?

I love your piece.  I'd really like to see pictures of the whole room and the overall effect.  How many did you make? They look beautiful close up, do you have any pics of the knitted shells?  I've seen things like that with solid fabric, but I would never have thought of lace knitting.  The drawings are a smart addition, it makes people look closer at the balloons.  Adding the extra yarn as a ribbon is a nice little touch, probably helps "fill" the room and lead the eye up.  Ooooh....this sounds really amazing looking, I wish you had more pictures.

Um, yeah, I think I've been spending too much time obsessing over my own knit installation, that I'm a little too excited to see others. Sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
neggie
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007 04:02:41 PM »

No, it's totally cool! I would definitely love to see some images of your installation! This coming semester, I think I'm going to kind of continue with this idea (I only really had the two balloons and 6 drawings this time, because I only had 2 weeks to get it all done), and hopefully when we put up out class group-show I'll be able to get some more images.

There are some pretty amazing artists out there doing knit installations... there was one guy featured in Interweave Knits (this last winter issue). I was definitely excited to see the article, so I have a little bit of the same "knitstallation" obsession as you do. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

forestfamilies
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008 05:07:01 AM »

this is so beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's a circus where my head should be
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Ketchup
How to Grill with Woodchips
How to Bake Amish Friendship Bread
In The Kitchen - Halibut
How to barbeque with plank
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...