A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Crocheter's Rant  (Read 18343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2006 10:25:30 AM »

man, that would piss me off to no end!! I wouldnt care if that woman had the super secret technique that fixed you dinner while you work, I STILL wouldnt take a class from her. UGH!

I'd do exactly what you just did. If someone here doesnt know what she's talking about, then she probably made it up to make a quick $100.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyboo
"She is as wholesome as a bowl of cornflakes, and at least as sexy."

*Hi, my name is Bunny and I'm a swapaholic*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2006 11:39:26 AM »

Glad to see you all agree with me and i wasn't just bein a grouch LOL
Thanks for the links!! ill have to check a few of them out if i ever get done making all the stoopid stuff for the craft fair!! cant wait till its over! LOL

my first though when she said that was, gee ill have to post on craftster!!! lol i have reffered soooo many people to this site, I just LOVE LOVE IT!!

thanks so much to everyone for their help  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gifts, Purses, Crochet & Knitting Helpers, Papercrafts & More in my Etsy store...
www.courtneymarin.e tsy.com

Facebook Email Search: surfingmonkeyguy@hotmail.com

www.wists.com/bunnyboo
Always Open to Personal Swaps!!!!
Effylicious
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2006 12:16:41 PM »

I don't know about you, but if I were you, I'd TELL that lady how I learned how to do that same stitch for FREE.

Don't go back there if they don't treat you right, unless it is to let her know just this and to also let her know you'll make sure all your crocheting and maybe even knitting friends too to avoid the place. She'll lose a lot of business that way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
AmigurumiMan
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2006 03:18:31 PM »

I feel like i have to point out that this is NOT the attitude most knitters have towards crochet. It seems to be a relic from the days when knitting was a mandatory skill, while crochet was always merely a hobby for most people. Which is stupid, since those days were well over fifty years ago, but some ideas just keep on rolling down through the generations.

Unfortunately, you do still get that attitude once in a while, but it doesn't happen all the time. Most of the LYSes i've been in are okay with crocheters, even if they only stock a couple of crochet books and a basic assortment of hooks.  Hey, you can't argue with the fact that the bulk of their customer base is knitters.

Most of the knitters i've discussed yarnie stuff with have had nothing but respect for crocheters. In fact, many of them admit that they've tried to learn to crochet and couldn't make heads or tails of it.  Of course, i have to tell them my own attempts at knitting never got very far, either.

If you ever do go back to that store (i wouldn't, personally, but i live in a town where i do have a few other options), you might want to ask the knitty snob why it is that many knitting books suggest learning basic crochet for finishing and edging knit projects, but no crochet book ever recommends learning to knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2006 04:18:10 PM »

I don't know about you, but if I were you, I'd TELL that lady how I learned how to do that same stitch for FREE.

Don't go back there if they don't treat you right, unless it is to let her know just this and to also let her know you'll make sure all your crocheting and maybe even knitting friends too to avoid the place. She'll lose a lot of business that way!

1) funny avatar Smiley 2) good idea! gosh I'm ticked that that woman was so rude to you. Ye gads, what a jerk she is and I really hope that some day she sees that. What's next...ohhhh well sewing stretch fabric is sooo much better than woven or something equally absurd.  Roll Eyes I would so go in there and mention that you know her $100 secret for free and that 75 thousand others do now too and know just how rudely she conducts herself to her customers.  Tongue  Hopefully a LYS with a nicer staff will get a lot of business from her actions. I'm really half tempted to find one of these LYS' that have the rude staff just so I can look at them like they are crazy when they are rude to me and ask them honestly how they sleep at night.

Gah sorry for the rant, it has been a horrible day. It is funny though that to her crochet is oh so terrible yet she has this secret class about it?? How stupid does she think people are?

Knitting and Crochet (not to mention macrame, net making, latch hook, heck throw plastic canvas in there too) are all just fine and dandy! Vive le yarn!!! And huge kudos to everyone that is not snobby towards either of them. I have only knit one thing, but am getting better at my crochet. Anyone comes at me with a snobby attitude is gonna get a hook in the nose.  Cheesy

*end rant*  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2006 04:32:33 PM »

Just because I had a bad day too and want to rant, I just went to my mom's LYS because I am staying with her this week and the owner was very anti-crochet, she carries no crochet patterns and loved my bad until she found out it was crocheted and then told me you can't felt crochet so I must be mistaken on how I made it.  I happily put all the overpriced yarn I picked out on the counter and told her since I didn't knit she shouldn't sell anything to me and walked out.  Then I went to JoAnns and the woman there practically held my hand showing me all the new stuff they got in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2006 04:50:17 PM »

She honestly thought that you cannot felt crochet? She runs a LYS and has no idea it is the YARN that felts and the YARN has no idea how it is has been put into a shape? Hahaha so wool just goes 'oh wait I wasn't knit, I refuse to felt?' I will have to tell my crocheted and felted hook roll that Dulcinea made me that it is a freak of nature.  Cheesy So what about needle felt, that isn't knitted either...hmmm

Oh great, now I want to go to the LYS too and see just what is wrong with them.  Tongue

I can see a small shop not having any crochet patterns or any hooks if they don't get much call for them (I mean they have a business to run so they need to stock to suit the needs of the bulk of their business), but to be outright rude just makes no sense, as a human or as a business. If I had been there with ya I'd jump on my phone, and tell her 'just a moment I need to tell 75 thousand people who craft about how rude you are...what is the address here again?'. LOL

Gosh I wonder if any LYS around me is like that. I have only been in one just to browse and they seemed really nice. I didn't have time to stay long though so I've no idea if they are anti-hooker.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2006 04:57:51 PM »

I will have to tell my crocheted and felted hook roll that Dulcinea made me that it is a freak of nature.  Cheesy

Well, I'm fairly sure Dulcinea is from another planet, so I wouldn't be surprised. :-D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyboo
"She is as wholesome as a bowl of cornflakes, and at least as sexy."

*Hi, my name is Bunny and I'm a swapaholic*

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2006 07:17:33 PM »

i went back today with what had to be the most rediculous outfit ever!!!

i do believe at that moment i was wearing everything but a crocheted pair of undergarments, i wore a crocheted skirt and leg warmers, my crocheted victorian jacket (which i have sold a few for over $100 and about $200 worth of patterns for) a crocheted hat and scarf and my super fab crocheted purse....now keep in mind that although i exhibit a certain unrestrained amount of spunkyness and attitude here on the forums, i am a pretty shy person LOL

first 2 customers in the door complimented me on my garments and we got to talking about yarns etc. rude lady ( and i have since found out that she is the shop's only employee, couldn't imagine why) was nowhere in sight and certainly wasn't  helping her customers. Then she emerges and  says how nice it is to see me in again so soon and if i was signing up for her class. so i casually and VERY LOUDLY  Grin say...
 "no actually i just came in to tell you how much business you will lose from myself and several other crocheters i know in town because of your snobby superiority complex against crocheters. I did learn your secret technique, in fact i learned several versions of it and for FREE."

i turn to walk out and notice all the customers staring at me intently (i dont handle attention well) and all at once ( like out of a movie) two of them put down their items stating that they also only crochet and do not knit and LEAVE!!!! Blew MY MIND!!!!!

the gals and i went for coffee after talking outside her store for a bit...i also made a post on our community forums which are very intently read by a majority of our small town. not that I have any pull here but i imagine her crafting seasons to come wont be quite so bright  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gifts, Purses, Crochet & Knitting Helpers, Papercrafts & More in my Etsy store...
www.courtneymarin.e tsy.com

Facebook Email Search: surfingmonkeyguy@hotmail.com

www.wists.com/bunnyboo
Always Open to Personal Swaps!!!!
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2006 07:25:41 PM »

Bunnyboo is my hero  Grin

Perhaps there is a dim glimmer of hope that the lady will realize 'gee more people that work with yarn no matter what technique the use to do it equals more sales for the shop since we sell yarn'. Duh

If she is the only employee I feel very sorry for the owner (if they do not share their employee's attitude)!!

It is very cool that you made a couple new aquantances from the experience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Spring Styles to Inspire Your Next Haircut
Osis Dust It Mattifying Powder Review
How to Do a Half Up Long Hair Updo
How to Pick Long Hair Care Products
The Best Long Hair Styling Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...