A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Magic the Gathering card folder for husband *tute added*  (Read 2291 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 18, 2007 01:42:52 AM »

I made this a few years ago and am still really proud of it. My husband has oodles of Magic the Gathering playing cards that he collected before discovering World of Warcraft and abandoning everything else...

This is a folder cover for a large a4 folder that holds his cards. I actually made two, one in colour and one in black outline I gave him the outline one as a gift then showed him the 'reject' which he actually preferred! Unfortunately I can't seem to get the other one to photograph and still show the detail, I'll keep trying though.

I picked up a cheap plain brown fake leather and aged it with thin black acrylic paint, the details are done in acrylics also. It has held up really well over the years even without a clear coat. I drew a large copy of a Magic card and transferred the image onto the leather using tracing paper

What do you think?
Eve

Ok, here's my hi-tech Paint tute  Grin

This is just a slip cover so you have the front made from faux leather and two 'pockets' (one either end) made from another fabric that the folder slips into.

# Lay down your open folder on the wrong side of your leather fabric and trace around the outside.
# Mark on the leather where your inner fabric pockets will need to finish - about 1 cm from the fold on the right side and about 1 cm from the rings on the left side (obviously if your rings are mounted in the middle, both side pockets will be the same) Leave a seam allowance and trim to size.
# For your inner fabric you want something light but sturdy, I used a light denim. Lay the left side (front cover) of the open folder on the fabric and trace your measurement for the left side only, leave a seam for all edges.
# Repeat for the other side ( this side will use less fabric if your folder has the rings mounted on it)
# Hem the inner fabric on the open edge for both pieces
# With right sides facing, pin the inner fabric peices to the cover and sew together about 3mm outside the marked line where you traced the folder
# Trim seams and turn right way out
# Pop it on your folder and check that it fits and is just a little roomy. Remove
# Right side out, sew a seam about 2mm in from the edge all the way around. Not super necessary but it helps to keep the shape and looks nice
# Check the fit - should be all good so on to the painting!

* To age or colour your leather (handy if a not so good colour is on special) put the cover on the folder and mix up a blob of black paint, half a blob of brown and a little water. Rub onto leather with a lint-free cloth, and buff with a clean lint-free cloth (you are rubbing the colour into the creases and lightly colouring the rest). Wipe with a wet rag where normal wear and tear would occur - edges and folds. Allow to dry (it's pretty quick) and repeat until you like the outcome.
* If colouring, paint (or use leather dye) the leather the colour you want first, allow to dry and then age it.
* Print or draw your outline on an A4 page, rub the back with white pencil for a black leather or charcoal or a dark pencil (eg. 2B pencil) and align on your folder front. Tape it down and transfer image.
* Paint in the design with acrylic paints (artist's acrylics give better coverage and are longer lasting) and add black details and outlines with permanent markers
* When dry buff the whole cover with a beeswax furniture polish or similar. The design will take some wear and tear but mine has held up really well.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense or if I missed something. And get creative with adding pockets and other cool stuff!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007 12:51:32 AM by eternallyeve » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Shroomi
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007 01:58:11 AM »

Wow those are really well done. I especially like the way it looks aged. Reminds me of some of the older used cards we play with.

My friends and I still play Magic on the weekends. Our one friend would love to have something like that. He has all of his cards in folders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007 07:09:34 AM »

wow!  That is really awesome.  You did good work.  I used to play Magic in High School and it would have been nice to have something to put them in...especially something that nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madame_caligula
Anime Otaku/ Crafter/ Gamer

I find I relate more to Max & Ruby as I get older.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007 07:11:31 AM »

Wow, talk about synergy.  Like two days ago, I found some of the old Magic cards my husband gave me when we were dating. He was really excited when he saw them again, and wanted to play...It's completely revitalized his passion for the game. A project like this could be just the extra little xmas gift I'm looking for.

Great job! And thanks for the idea!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007 08:26:05 PM by madame_caligula » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beware: Someone pretentious is looking back at you.
LetterGhost
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007 12:23:31 PM »

That looks totally professional! I never would have thought it was handmade (but for the fact that it is posted here, of course)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 03:30:34 PM »

Thank you all! I would be happy to put together the steps I used if anyone wants to make one. Just let me know.

Eve
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Saan
If in doubt, make it sound convincing.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007 11:36:37 AM »

Now that's hardcore. And probably way better than the empty ice cream container my brother uses for storing his cards. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisafer
look! i'm a floating head. mecka lecka high mecka hiney ho!

just a lost soul swimmin in a fish bowl..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007 07:39:00 PM »

Thank you all! I would be happy to put together the steps I used if anyone wants to make one. Just let me know.

Eve

i would *love* if you did this. my brother has so many damn cards... i'd be the perfect x-mas gift~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--------> don't take life so seriously. it isn't permanent.

PADDLE FASTER! i hear banjos!

(i love crafty pen pals from around the world! PM me if you want a new pen pal~ <3)
my deviantART gallery:
http://rancid-roses.deviantart.com
my myspace profile:
http://myspace.com/rancid_roses
beckey23
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007 09:36:54 PM »

That is very cool!!! It is so detailed, love it! I feel for you, my DH gave up Magic for WOW as well. I might have to make him one of this, if you don't mind that is. Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."
heathersy

she came to recon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007 06:08:26 AM »

Oh, dear, my DH and his best friend tried to kick their WoW addiction for a while and Magic was their methadone. Except they set up their own lab, as it were, printing their own cards instead of buying them.

Appropriately, they are now lodged in a Nostalgisk box (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30115491 my Swedish is nonexistent and so this sounds like "nostalgic"ish to me) right next to the D&D library.

Your work here is gorgeous and I can only say thank god the DH does not check in on Craftster. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cats know where my Sharpie went but they ain't tellin'.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a "No Makeup" Makeup Look
How Social Media and Phones Ruin Your Skin
How to Apply Bright Bold Lipstick
Sun-Kissed Makeup at the Rachel Zoe SS 2014 Fashion Show
Mexican Inspired Makeup at the Rebecca Minkoff SS 2014 Fashion Show
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...