A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Super Easy Cat Mats W/ Attached Toy (with tute)  (Read 2779 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_bed , cat , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 17, 2007 07:43:10 PM »

I made these 2 kitty beds for my kittens after I made one on the whim for a swap. They seem to love them and they really love the toys that are attached, I'll have to make more of those. Sorry for the crappy pics, I seriously hate my cell phone.
Here's a pic of both beds/mats together (sorry my cats would would not let me take a pic without jumping into it Smiley

The underside:

Fishy bed:

Heart bed:

They're super easy to make, try one!
What you need:
1. Fleece in desired size-about 1 yard ( I used 2 colors, ex. fish on one side, blue on the other)
2. At least 16" ribbon (I used grosgrain)
3. One sheet of felt
4. Embroidery thread
5. Loose Catnip (organic is best)
6. Sewing machine or thread and needle

Toy:
1. Cut 2 pieces of felt into the shape that you want
2. Hand sew (for a crafty look) with 3 stings of embroidery thread all around the shape leaving a small boarder around the edge and about a 1" opening.
3. Cut a 16" piece of ribbon
4. Pour in about a table spoon of cat nip
5. Stick 2" of the ribbon into the toy and sew the opening shut
6. Keep it plain or add eyes for fish, a break in the heart...

Bed/Mat:
1. Measure 2 sheets of fleece and 1/2" more than you want it on all sides (the ones shown are 15" x 16")
2. Turn right sides together and sew all sides leaving a 3" opening on one side (for stuffing)
3. Turn right sides out and stuff with batting or fleece. I used 2 sheets of fleece for stuffing and warmth but if you have batting that works too.
4. Tie a knot in the ribbon part of the toy and stick the ribbon at least 3" into the bed with the knot inside between the stuffing-this is to secure it from popping out if your cats get too rough with it
5. Sew opening together (I used my machine for a more secure stitch)

Good luck and let me see your results if you decide to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007 08:07:36 PM »

Those look awesome!  Have you thought about maybe putting a layer or two of plastic bag in them to make them crinkle?  My cats love that stuff.
I think the fact that the cats are in the pictures is all the better.  They're proving just what a hit the beds are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
lady4feet
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007 08:07:49 PM »

Very cute! Do they carry them around? I could see my kitty doing that if I attatched a toy to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jbender85

"Crafty is when you're good at crafts and stuff"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007 08:52:00 PM »

Thanks! I'm so glad you guys like them!
The plastic bag idea is good, I was going to make some kitty toys like that.
They haven't carried them too far Smiley but every once in awhile when they get really worked up they toss them around a bit and then it's perfect because they're then exhauseted from playing and collapse on the bed  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

perennialgirl
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007 10:07:13 PM »

Great idea!  Luv the little toys attached.  I'll have to try and make some for our kitties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
princessaliandra
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 12:18:57 PM »

I made a mat for a window table i have for my kitty. I took 2 pieces of felt sewed them together and filled with a about 10 or so plastic bags. My cat loved laying on it but most of the crinkle sounds went away after a few months, i ended up throwing it away since it was a hair collecting magnet and not very washable with bags inside. Oh well it was super cheap to make. I like your kitty mats i should make one out of fleece since my cat likes laying in my fleece jacket. You know what else would be cool to is to use an old sweater and make it into rectangle, then sew that together for a bed i bet that would be super warm as well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007 12:23:48 PM by princessaliandra » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bamfknitter
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007 06:41:52 PM »

I'm bookmarking this.

I have SO many friends with cats, that this would be a cool gift idea (yea, I gift to the cats too)

Might try and make one for the window ledge in my bedroom.  It's extended, b/c there's a bookshelf underneath, and my cat LOVES to lay there and look out the window.  I tried putting her cat bed there, but maybe something smaller would be more enticing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cashcrate.com/931389 <-- make money taking surveys on the web.  Get paid MONTHLY to fuel your CRAFT addiction!
In the last 2 weeks of Dec (when I 1st joined) I made over $55USD!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Buy a Grill and Grilled Branzino Recipe
How to Make a Savory Bread Pudding
How to Boil Macaroni and Make Roux
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Holiday Party Appetizers - Boursin Bruschetta
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...