I made these 2 kitty beds for my kittens after I made one on the whim for a swap. They seem to love them and they really love the toys that are attached, I'll have to make more of those. Sorry for the crappy pics, I seriously hate my cell phone.
Here's a pic of both beds/mats together (sorry my cats would would not let me take a pic without jumping into it
They're super easy to make, try one!
What you need:
1. Fleece in desired size-about 1 yard ( I used 2 colors, ex. fish on one side, blue on the other)
2. At least 16" ribbon (I used grosgrain)
3. One sheet of felt
4. Embroidery thread
5. Loose Catnip (organic is best)
6. Sewing machine or thread and needle
1. Cut 2 pieces of felt into the shape that you want
2. Hand sew (for a crafty look) with 3 stings of embroidery thread all around the shape leaving a small boarder around the edge and about a 1" opening.
3. Cut a 16" piece of ribbon
4. Pour in about a table spoon of cat nip
5. Stick 2" of the ribbon into the toy and sew the opening shut
6. Keep it plain or add eyes for fish, a break in the heart...
1. Measure 2 sheets of fleece and 1/2" more than you want it on all sides (the ones shown are 15" x 16")
2. Turn right sides together and sew all sides leaving a 3" opening on one side (for stuffing)
3. Turn right sides out and stuff with batting or fleece. I used 2 sheets of fleece for stuffing and warmth but if you have batting that works too.
4. Tie a knot in the ribbon part of the toy and stick the ribbon at least 3" into the bed with the knot inside between the stuffing-this is to secure it from popping out if your cats get too rough with it
5. Sew opening together (I used my machine for a more secure stitch)
Good luck and let me see your results if you decide to make one!